Image change when title comes in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 28th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Image change when title comes in

When I put a title over a scene, the color or appearance of the image (which is below the title in the timeline) slightly changes. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I used an effect (color correction) on that image. How can I avoid this problem? I am using Aspect HD 3.2. I don't want to update to 3.3. as I am in the middle of a project. Are there any tricks?

Thanks for your help.
Nick Brandestini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #2
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Graphic change and stuff

Hi there.
I'm still playing around with Apsect HD and so far this is what I have come up with.

With my underwater FX1 footage, there is no way I can zoom when editing HDV, even a few percent without seeing the quality drop. On very clear shots with the HID ligths on its not as bad but going with the natural lighted underwater WB shots with particles in the water, its a different mater. I have made test DVD's and grabs to view in Photoshop. I have watched the test DVD's on LCD flat screens, normal computer monitors, laptop, both macs and PC and ofcouse on normal TVs.

I have also yet to find a better way to make a normal DVD apart from exporting it back to the camera, then back in as normal DV then convert to a DVD MPEG2.

I have tried all the methods on Cineforms site and this one to create DVD's but back to camera is still the best. I use main Concept Pro to encode the m2t stream back to the camera. Its is close though but under very close inspection you can pick it out.

I have used Main Concept Pro, procoder and the standard one that comes with Premiere Pro to encode the DVD's from the timeline off HDV but its still not as good as going back to the camera and then back in as normal DV stream.

Graphics made in Premiere tiltler does some stranges things as well when a few are stacked on top of each other and I find that exporting them out (cineform avi file ) and back in works better.

I have also made DVD's from HDV and normal DV of the exact same footage and the ones edited in HDV do come out better.

Hard drives must be clean, empty and defraged before captures or one will get dropouts. I'm using SATA drives.

You can also add up to 10% more prosessing power when encoding by turning off the fancy graphics that Windows XP uses along with all the other stuff they put in it to run by default.

Nothing like a being a BETA tester.
Cineform trial 3.2 I tested all this in.

Paul
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #3

Update on the Encoding

Always testing testing..... since my last post, I have enocoded to a M2t transport stream with Main Concept Pro and then to a normal DVD (9mbs) Mpeg2 file with procoder...looking good.

I will dump the M2t stream back to the camera and then back in with normal DV, encode as see if its as good.

Paul
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Nick,

I need more information on where you are seeing the shift : upon playback, upon AVI export or M2T export? We have discovered an error for M2T export with the video systems RGB mode turned on (it will be fixed in the next update.) So for M2T exports try turning the "Video System RGB" mode off (inside the CineForm Playback Settings control panel.)
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5

one more post

Got it..for those looking to export from a Premiere Pro HDV timeline to normal DVD, you cannot go pass Procoder 2.

Blue underwater footage is real hard on any encoder to get right. So hard that even when you zoom in just 3% editing in HDV with cineforms Aspect HD you can see the quality drop on the end DVD. Uptop in air shots you can though.

Procoder 2 is the one for stunning DVDs from a HDV timeline. Still not as good as a HD WMV9 file though.

Paul
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #6
New Boot

The problem occurs during playback in the timeline and when exported onto tape (the title fades in during 12 frames by the way). When I export as Quicktime, it's fine. But then again, I don't need Quicktime, but a high quality HDV tape. (I haven't tried avi)

The Deselecting "Video Systems RGB" makes no difference in any case. I really tried it.

When I don't have any effects on the clip, it's OK.

What can I do? For info: I don't want to do anything which will harm the quality of the material (such as exporting and importing again).

Thanks!
Nick Brandestini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The use of video system RGB is only reason I think of that may have this effect. You can export to a CineForm AVI then export that file to M2T (this will have zero visible loss.) Then you should upgrade to 3.3. I not aware of this particular fault on 3.2, but it is always good to keep up with the lastest version.
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Tourist

best export settings from hd dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wags
Got it..for those looking to export from a Premiere Pro HDV timeline to normal DVD, you cannot go pass Procoder 2.

Blue underwater footage is real hard on any encoder to get right. So hard that even when you zoom in just 3% editing in HDV with cineforms Aspect HD you can see the quality drop on the end DVD. Uptop in air shots you can though.

Procoder 2 is the one for stunning DVDs from a HDV timeline. Still not as good as a HD WMV9 file though.

Paul
Hi Paul,
I have heard procoder is the best way to export std dvd from the hd pp2 timeline.
I continue to get errors when I try to export procoder from the export settings.
I always got this problem with pp1.5 and till now have had to export avi from a standard dvd timeline and use the procoder separately.
Now with native mpeg in the hd timeline of pp2 the quality appears to drop when exporting to avi prior to procoder use.
Can you please explain how you got procoder to stop crashing when exporting from the pp2 timeline? and anything else you sound to have done that I am simply following
Thanks.
Chris J. Gearing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase