Cineform and DaVinci Resolve at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Cineform and DaVinci Resolve

I have been examining DaVinci Resolve 10 lite, a steep learning curve for one who is a little less than inspriredly bright. I use the SI2K camera in DVR2. I can export DNG and DPX strings within the camera-recorder which DaVinci will play nice with. I would prefer to be able to pull SI2K files directly in if I could. According to the Blackmagic forums there is a cineform "patch" however like the golden goose or the holy grail, I have not been able to track it down or find out just how it works.

If anyone has any info this would be muchly appreciated. It is a bit of a convoluted business exporting DNG strings and ties up camera drive space.

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 22nd, 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Cineform and DaVinci Resolve

I transcode MTS files to the cineform codec and run them through Resolve 9 and 10 with no problems. Never messed with any patch.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The problem is Resolve doesn't read CineForm metadata (when it could), so the patch treats Resolve like other non-RAW aware applications.

http://software.gopro.com/Codec/CFHD...solve-V860.zip

Unzip are replace CFHDDecoder64.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools

This will allow full RAW metadata based color corrections to be visible in Resolve. This will also means you are using CineForm based Demosaic filter rather than the one Resolve normally uses. The change above was to restore demosaic control so that your filter setting in GoPro CineForm Studio is applied inside Resolve.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for that David. It now works fine. The looks out of SI2K are I understand generated by its licenced flavour of Iridas Speed Grade. Resolve does not see those or list in them in their LUT menu. Its no biggie. Grading off the raw is fine. All the best from here in the West.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello David.
About a year ago I purchased Gopro Studio Premium to convert files from the Black Magic Cinema Camera (2.5 k) to Cineform Raw and save some space during a film production.

Now the movie is edited and has to be color corrected. It was edited in Adobe Premiere using the CINEFORM RAW files.

I know about the issues when loading this raw files in DaVinci resolve. I installed the "hack" for PC so that the RAW files are read with the metadata and debayered and it works.

The thing is that the colorist being asigned to the project works in a Mac. When he opens the Cineform Raw files they are not read as RAW files, nor debayered by Cineform metadata.

What is the best way to face this problem? Is there a way to debayer in Resolve? Is correcting the green cast using other color correction tools in Resolve the same as debayering?
Daniel Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

"When he opens the Cineform Raw files they are not read as RAW files, nor debayered by Cineform metadata."

It really need to be one or the other -- it can't be both. I guess you mean you don't get DaVinci's RAW controls, that is a question for Blackmagic. If you see green tint, you are getting full RAW, and you can color correct for there.

David
Old August 8th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks David, I thought the green tint was due to not being debayered. Now I understand it is only that the whitebalance metadata is not read by Resolve. Will grade in Mac.
Daniel Moreno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase