Twixtor + Cineform = smooth sloooow Motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Twixtor + Cineform = smooth sloooow Motion

Sorry this has taken so long to get to everyone, I'll do my best to give step by step.

1. Open After Effects
2. Import your Cineform file
3. Right click on the Cineform File, chose "interpret footage"
4. Go to "Main"
5. Change seperate fields to "off" if it isn't already

6. You have to make your clip (for slow motion) as long as you need it to be, before Twixtor does its magic. The easiest way for me is to go down to "other options" and loop it 2 times for 50% speed, or 4 times for 25% speed and etc.

7. After all that, now apply Twixtor (you do not need pro for this, the pro features are not necessary for straight forward slow motion.

8. In Twixtor it goes as follows

Display= Twixtor Output
Color Source= choose the clip you are working on
Alt motion= none
Input field= upper
Input Frame= 29.97
Motion Vector= Best
Image Prep = None
Check "cache last motion"
Time remap= speed
Speed % = whatever you want as long as your looped file is long enough 50 and 25 % work well

Frame Interp = motion weighted blend
warping = inverse

and that should be it, remember you don't need the Pro version to do this

Hope it helps
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Twistor Pro Version

Mike, thanks for spelling that out.

You sound pretty confident that the pro version doesn't add a lot of value. Does it do *anything* special at all?
Daniel
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Only if you have a complicated sequence that needs individual tweeking (masking of objects etc.), the twixtor site explains the need for it quite well, I personally never saw a need for it in my footage, but look at the twixtor site to determine if it fits your needs.

Mike
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Mike!! Awesome tips on slow-mo...

Just the sort of thing that gets one inspired!!

Such info doesn't deserve to get buried lower and lower down on the current thread list, because we all know that there's gonna be somebody who'll make a post asking for "slow-motion tips"...

Wonder whether it's possible to have a "sticky" for HD/HDV editing tips and tricks like this? Just a thought...
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank's Mike that works great.
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a question for you Mike if you don't mine. I want too slow this certain part in this clip but want the rest at the normal speed.Can you give any hints on this. Whats the one option I need to play with in twixtor? ANy help would be appreciated.

thank's
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Chad, it is pretty easy, in the twixtor plugin where you chose "speed" all you have to do is keyframe it with different percentages (higher the percentage the faster it will move) twixtor now uses the same procedure that AE uses for time remapping, if you look under "time remapping" in AE and apply the principles to the twixtor "speed" adjustment it will work fine, just remember to make your footage long enough by looping it in order to make up for the time remapping. The section on keyframes in the AE manual will help if your not familiar with it, hope it helps.

Mike
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I was coincidentally just testing out the twixtor plugin using the same 60i clip at 30% speed using AE/Magic Bullet with and without twixtor, then PP1.5.

The difference between the clips is, well, startling. Twixtor footage is far and away superior to the other slow mo techniques. I tried just using AE's time remapping, then applying the twixtor "effect" with no speed changes set in the plugin. It appears to use AE's frame rate but "twixtorized" the footage. I only did one test, but does this sound correct? I had MB's 24p conversion applied as well.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Dennis, it does mention something about that in the Twixtor manual, but I was not sure if that is what they meant, that would be great if it does. I have used all the retiming plugins, twixtor has kept improving leaps and bounds since I first used it around 4 years ago, it beats them all IMHO, I'll have to try out your procedure when I get a chance.

Thanks
Mike
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank's Mike for helping out. It's very much appreciated.

Chad
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM   #11
Major Player

No problem Chad, that is why these forums continue to get better, after someone takes the time to share with me, I try to do the same, great forum, one of the best around.

Mike
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #12
Major Player

Well, I finally got around to the slo-mo work in my project. This works brilliantly, thanks so much.
Daniel
PS. Anybody using this directly in premeire?
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase