HDLink won't convert Canon MOVs in Windows 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDLink won't convert Canon MOVs in Windows 8

I recently moved from Windows 7 to 8, and now neither HDLink nor GoPro Studio Premium will convert MOV files from a Canon 7D to Cineform. MXF files from a XF300 convert wthout a problem. GoPro's help files mention this Windows 8 limitation, but don't say anything more about it.

My workflow up to now has been to use HDLink to convert all my original files to Cineform for editing. I know I can use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the 7D files, but I like to use First Light, which I understand needs the GoPro converted files.

Why the limitation to Windows 8? Is there a workaround?
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HDLink won't convert Canon MOVs in Windows 8

I am on win 10, I seem to be able to convert things fine, have not tried canon mov. If you can upload a short clip I can see what happens, just like a 30 second clip of whatever. black footage if you want.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just changed to Windows 10, and can report that HD Link converts MP4 (the largest format) files from a Canon 7Dmk2 just fine. It also converts MXF files from a XF300.

First Light appears to work OK as well with these converted files, but any other Cineform files, i.e. those created using Adobe Media Encoder, will make First Light crash.

Unfortunately GoPro doesn't really support First Light any longer, and HD Link is rather slow, so I'm not sure if it will figure in my workflow any longer.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Engeler View Post
Unfortunately GoPro doesn't really support First Light any longer, and HD Link is rather slow, so I'm not sure if it will figure in my workflow any longer.
Considering that most NLEs handle native Canon DSLR footage quite well now, I'm curious why you feel the need to transcode everything?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase