GoPro abandons Premium and Professional users - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 11th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: GoPro abandons Premium and Professional users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post

"Error at loading ippSP library" - "No DLLs were found in the Waterfall procedure"

This error is caused because Gopro Studio version 121, plus I have heard other versions, removes

'ippsw7-6.1.dll'

when you uninstall GoPro Studio.

Naughty. Not a nice uninstall at all! No way should an uninstall of GPS remove ippsw7-6.1.dll from the windoz System 32 or SysWOW64 folders.
ohhh I remember that drama - That was end end of cineform for me - a good product screwed by gopro
Old August 20th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #47
Regular Crew

In order to prepare for all the changes coming forth, I have built up a new editing rig, fresh installed Windows 10 and reinstalled/deactivated and re-activated the last version of Cineform Studio Premium (2.0.1 b319). Alongside that, I also installed the current free version of GoPro Cineform Studio (2.5.6). My workflow is within Adobe and everything is great except one thing - video capture.

Does anyone know if there an alternative to HDLink software bundled with Cineform Premium that can use Blackmagic cards (Intensity/Decklink) to capture directly to Cineform (preferably .avi)?

I can do away with Cineform Studio Premium but this one problem is keeping me from moving forward and just use the free version of the codec. Unfortunately if I use native capture within Premiere Pro CS6/CC 2015 I have no choice but to either use what's provided by BM: Uncompressed, MJPEG, or DVCPROHD - all of which I am not really thrilled about because it will require an added step to convert captured media to CF files rather than in real time as with HDLink.

update: I dug around a bit more and I found something I haven't used in ages which may work. VirtualDub. I'll report back after I do some testing.

update#2: Scratch that.. I cant get capture to work properly. I can get it to display live feed video through BM Intensity card but when I try to capture using CF VFW codec, I get a "Video compressor error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)." If I use a BM's MJPEG or uncompressed, it works fine. GoPro Cineform Codec v9.0.5 is listed but it doesn't seem to work...

Last edited by James Park; August 20th, 2015 at 04:28 AM.
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #48
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Park View Post
I cant get capture to work properly. I can get it to display live feed video through BM Intensity card but when I try to capture using CF VFW codec, I get a "Video compressor error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)." If I use a BM's MJPEG or uncompressed, it works fine. GoPro Cineform Codec v9.0.5 is listed but it doesn't seem to work...
I do use v9.0.5 to capture and encode in VD. Afaik this codec works best with rgb24 data so if your card is giving something else this may be the problem.
Anton Shekhovtsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #49
CTO, CineForm Inc.

RGB24 is very common in VFW, but not the most efficient for compression. YUV through VFW is tricky, but better (faster.) We also implemented v210 -- 10-bit YUV through VFW, I know VD can be made to support it. Unfortunately I don't have hands on experience with this type of capture.
Old August 21st, 2015, 07:16 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Well so far, I have tried different settings and have been unsuccessful so far with VD + Cineform + BM Intensity card.

I am open to suggestions, are there any other alternative hardware/software solutions that will allow me to capture in real time using Cineform (non-Premium)? Perhaps Aja/Matrox? I am willing to alter workflow but I would like a method to be able to acquire footage via capture directly to Cineform.
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #51
Major Player

So whats the difference between using premiere pro/media encoder to encode files compared to using HDlink or neoscene?

Is the something happening to the file? I kind of liked having that external program to encode a large number of files.

If i use media encoder to convert 30p to 24p is that the same as using neoscene?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 04:53 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Cineform used to be the standard for turning 4:2:0 HDV into a 4:2:2 intermediate with the chroma interpolation built into the conversion. You get a nicer looking image from 4:2:0 material, but likely all of that is about to go by the wayside nowadays.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:48 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
RGB24 is very common in VFW, but not the most efficient for compression. YUV through VFW is tricky, but better (faster.) We also implemented v210 -- 10-bit YUV through VFW, I know VD can be made to support it. Unfortunately I don't have hands on experience with this type of capture.
Is this something you could answer? thanks!

So whats the difference between using premiere pro/media encoder to encode files compared to using HDlink or neoscene?

Is the something happening to the file? I kind of liked having that external program to encode a large number of files.

If i use media encoder to convert 30p to 24p is that the same as using neoscene?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #54
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Is this something you could answer? thanks!

They should be very similar, however I don't have access to the internals of Premiere, if you are using YUV 4:2:2 the result should be the same (I believe Premiere does 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 up conversion correctly for some time now.)

Quote:
30p to 24p is never recommended. Neoscene had a pretty good 60i to 24p, which is still uncommon in other workflows (you could hack something together with AVISynth)
Old September 30th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #55
Major Player

Great interview with David,
May fill in a few blanks for us. Sorry for giving you guys so much flack earlier on. Personally thanks to the Cineform guys - this video helps me at least understand your goals. Perhaps we shall see a flavour of VC5 in cameras in the next few years. Blackmagic could really take a hint here. I would still love to have a separate version of Firstlight hint, hint.

Old October 1st, 2015, 02:02 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Nice to see what you GoPro and David Newman got in mind out there. I have been using Cineform from HDV days on, and it continues to be an excellent intermediate editing codec for me in Vegas Pro. I think this is really the first time I have seen David Newman in an interview, and it was a pleasure to see that he exhibits such enthusiasm about the product. Thank you all at Cineform and GoPro for the moves you are making to standardize Cineform !!
Old October 11th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Just watched the video. I don't think that the standardisation of the codec will have any impact at all. I don't know of any one who is developing there own codec. They are more likely just to licence a codec from Gopro.

Another issue is the lack of hardware acceleration for the codec.

My main interest is 3D which Cineform seems to have abandoned. Adode does not support 3D and Gopro Studio cannont even multiplex or demultiplex the left and right views.

Gopro Studio is too crude for serious video editing. It seems to me that Vegas Pro is the only editor supporting Cineform 3D.
Trevor Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Just bout 2 months away before Prem/Prof Cineform goes away for good....

Still haven't found a decent alternative to capture directly to CF without HDLink. At any rate, trying to future proof my system for the near future with new gear. I'm hoping at some point some company or someone will support it or have it available as a native codec for capture. In the meantime, backing up all my system drives (cloning) in case it ever goes south on me. However cross my fingers that my new system doesn't die on me then its goodbye CF Prem, for good.

In case anyone is wondering, the new Blackmagic Intensity 4K capture card works no problem with the last version of Cineform Premium/Professional using the latest BM drivers (10.5 I believe). Depending on what kind of source material, you can feed and capture directly to CF at much higher resolutions/frame rates than the previous versions.
James Park is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase