Cineform support of HVX200 and P2 workflow - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 5th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #46
New Boot

as far as the viewer program, do you mean p2 viewer version 3,0,1,4, ..if this is what you mean, then yes,,, this installed as well as USB drivers and software...latest directx and latest wmp9 codecs.....

like David was saying, I should be able to play mxf files with windows media player 10, partially anyway....I could'nt so I got the latest wm9 codecs but that didn't help...although I have way more output options for wm9 in ppro2

I'm not sure that I have raw .mxf files...I downloaded a mxf file from raylight while I wait for p2 cards to arrive. this files converts to raylight fine...so I believe it is OK.

Waht did you do to fix your problem?...or what was the problem?
Thanks for your time Marty.
Christopher Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #47
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It seems the the P2 Viewer components are not registering. Make sure you are logged in as the Administrator and try the following.

Locate the P2 Viewer "Bin" folder -- it should be here : "C:\Program Files\Panasonic P2\Viewer\bin"

In this directory, make sure you have these files : "PDvcProHDVDec.ax", "PDvcPro50VDec.ax", "PCodecHD.DLL" and "PCodec50.dll" these are most likely the video decoding components.

From a shell type
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Panasonic P2\Viewer\bin\PDvcProHDVDec.ax"

These is register the decoder with the system. Tell me what message you get.
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #48
New Boot

yes all the files are there in that specific directory...

Dll RegisterServier in C:\Program Files\Panasonic P2 \Viewer\bin\PDvcProHDVDec.ax succeeded.

still not seeing .mxf files..... hmmmmmm
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #49
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Try registering all the AX and DLL files (just in case.)

Next thing to try is GraphEdit (http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...edit_141.html), this tool lets you see what might be going wrong. From the File menu select "Render Media File...", set the file type to "*.*". See the attached picture for what you should get.
Attached Thumbnails
Cineform support of HVX200 and P2 workflow-ge.png  
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #50
New Boot

message ..."could not construct graph from this file":
Have you installed the necessary filters
Note that the render file menu cannot render .grf files.

that is what the software said so
...I tried mpg wav and they all show proper paths..
I wonder if this file has an incorrect extention even though it says it is .mxf... Do you have a raw .mxf file I could use..??
Thanks Dave
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #51
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I'll send you are link via email. It could be the graph won't build due to whatever is wrong with the P2 Viewer. Does Panasonic offer support on the P2 Viewer? Maybe they will after you purchase the camera.

More instructions.

1) Open GraphEdit
2) In Graph Menu select "Insert Filters..."
3) Find "DirectShow Filters" and open that folder.
4) Find "Panasonic MXF Source Filter", select it and press "Insert Filter"
5) With the file requestor select your MXF video file (via file type *.*).
6) Find "Panasonic DVCPRO_HD Video Decoder", select it and press "Insert Filter"
7) Press Close.
8) Grab the output pin of the source MXF box (little square box on the right) and draw a line to the input of the decoder.

Do these pins connect?

9) Right click on the output pin of the decoder and select "Render Pin". This should add the video render.

10) if that works press "Play".
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #52
New Boot

well David....Progress...I got your instructions to work with your skate file but not the DVfilm clip...Obviously that clip is not a raw.mxf file...
I Can open the .mxf file with windows media player...awesome...I can now convert to Cineform common with HDLink....works well..

Go figure, still cannot see .mxf files with P2 Viewer..???
Did the above procedures prove anything to you that I should know???

I already own the cam, I'm just waiting for cards, so I will get panasonic to help me with rest..I would just rather not talk to them, they led me astray for a couple of weeks on another issue...I ended up figuring it out using the forums...way better for troubleshooting...Anyway's, Thank you so much David, Truly Awesome Tech support...Cineform rocks..
I will send you a update on the resolution to the p2 so you have the new info....Warm Regards..Chris Walker
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #53
Regular Crew

the panasonic driver installation executable does some, um, interesting things during the course of installation: one of them is that it asks you to insert the relevant media (for p2 drivers, the p2 card; for p2 store, the actual p2 drive, etc.). i'm not sure why it is setup this way, and it appears to cause a corrupted installation if you dont' have a PCMCIA slot AND a P2 card handy. i think most desktops dont' have PCMCIA slots so this is a problem.

i went through the driver installation process on a laptop but WITHOUT inserting a P2 card when it asked. i just clicked "okay" but it really didnt' like that, so it complained but i continued. then whenever i tried p2 viewer it ran REALLY SLOWLY. so then i reinvoked driver installation and selected "repair" this time, and DID insert a P2 card when asked, and then everything worked fine after that.

i'm not sure how that helps you on your desktop. perhaps you can try to install the drivers WITH a p2 card on a laptop then read your files from there. my guess is that it will work.
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #54
Trustee

HDlink work with dvcpro50 widescreen?

David or anyone. I have a shoot in the morning, client does not need HD and I don't really have enough P2 cards for HD. Can I shoot dvcpro50 widescreen 24p and convert to cineform with the HDlink and edit on our prospect system? will HDlink convert?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #55
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, HDLink will convert DVCPRO-50. HOWEVER, 720pN24 takes up less P2 space at 40Mb/s than DVCPRO-50 at 50Mb/s. So unless you want interlaced, shoot 720pn24.
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #56
Trustee

Thank you David, I learn every day! less bitrate for SD....hmm..makes me wonder, would dvcpro50 look better uprezzed then HD 720?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #57
CTO, CineForm Inc.

No, upressing DVCPRO-50 would look softer than 720p. But an SD production can benefit from the light compression of DVCPRO-50 (yes DVCPRO-HD is much more compressed than DVCPRO-50), however I always prefer the flexibility of HD even for SD work. It is nice to crop video without loosing definition.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Cineform conversion of HDV vs DVCPRO HD

I've read through a lot of these posts, but am still uncertain of my answer. I would like to avoid the HDV compression, but P2 is still too expensive and the HD-SDI recording devices aren't mature yet, so I'm trying to understand how the Cineform codec solves the HDV compression problem when it converts from HDV tapes. If I record to tape on a JVC100 camera, it results in like one I-frame and five non-I-frames...so when I convert with Cineform, what does it do to those frames? Does it return all the non-I frames back to I-frames? What exactly is lost through the HDV compression/Cineform conversion process that wouldn't be lost if I recorded thru the HD-SDI port or used the DVCPRO HD codec?

Basically, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the two methods: HDV tape/Cineform conversion vs DVCPRO HD? Data rates? Degree of compression? Color space? Artifacts? Image quality? NLE editing issues?
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #59
CTO, CineForm Inc.

CineForm is effectively an I-frame wavelet codec. It is a lot lighter compressed than either HDV or DVCPRO-HD, as a result it is much higher quality for post production workflows. See info on quality here : http://www.cineform.com/technology/quality.htm
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #60
Regular Crew

David, thanks for the quick response. Wow. Lots of great info to go through. One quick question (sorry if this is on your site). I saw the Wafian, but do you have, or plan to have, a small portable recorder that can ingest directly into the Cineform codec thru the HD-SDI port? Like a couple hours worth of storage in the field to be dumped later at home?
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase