Dual Core - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #16
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, New York
Posts: 19
Hi,

Doesn't look like Costco carries it anymore. Here's a link to it at B&H. Its nice because it has 2 component inputs so I keep one connected to the computer and the other to the cable for the camera. Keep in mind that this monitor is not native 1080 but its scaling works pretty well and letting the Parhelia scale down to 720 to this monitor works great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation


Mick Guzauski
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
Thanks, Mick,

Funny, but just yesterday I was in Costco again and found the Samsung being displayed. Go figure.

My Parhelia is not here yet (most of the other components have arrived). Do you know if the Parhelia could scale to the native resolution of the Samsung, 1366x768?

Joe Clark
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #18
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, New York
Posts: 19
Hi,

The Parhelia scales very well to the resolution of the monitor. I think the motion is smoother if you let the card scale down rather than have it output 1080 and let the monitor scale down.

Mick Guzauski
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 184
Dual corewise, I just got an Opteron 165 which is a 939 socket opteron. These are dual core and have 2MB cache for a lot less than the x2 4400 (same cache). Since it is a server cpu is tested more and can usually be overclocked better and with more stability according to a lot of the overclocking forums.

I also just got and evga 7800gt video card which comes with a component out cable and dual dvi ports and just ordered an Acer 24" lcd monitor which seems to be running about $800 right now. Worth looking into.
__________________
Canon C100, 5D3
Jeff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
Parhelia Availability

I'm suddenly having trouble finding the PCI-Express version of the Parhelia. Anyone know where I can find it?

As for the nVidia, does it allow you to drive the DVI monitors and a component monitor at the same time? That's the draw of the Parhelia. Videoguys has a good deal on the nVidia card, but it won't do that.
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #21
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 184
I can report that the evga 7800gt nvida card works for component HDTV 1080i out to my direct view CRT HD TV and there is no delay while scrubbing the timeline in PremPro with Cineform.
I don't need the three monitor setup as yet so I have not tested that.
__________________
Canon C100, 5D3
Jeff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #22
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, New York
Posts: 19
Hi,

I got my Parhelia from Page Computers in L.A. Here's a link.
http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/sto...ct%5Fid=753989

Mick Guzauski
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baker
I can report that the evga 7800gt nvida card works for component HDTV 1080i out to my direct view CRT HD TV and there is no delay while scrubbing the timeline in PremPro with Cineform.
I don't need the three monitor setup as yet so I have not tested that.
Now that I know where to get the Parhelia, I'd really like to know if the 7800gt can drive two analog monitors and the component HD preview output at the same time. If it can, with no blips in timeline playback, I might go that route.

My monitors are analog - 18" NEC LCDs with only VGA inputs.

Much apprecitated, Jeff and Mick.

Joe Clark
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #24
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark
I'd really like to know if the 7800gt can drive two analog monitors and the component HD preview output at the same time. If it can, with no blips in timeline playback, I might go that route.
Will not work...even though the cards have three outputs,since they are only dual headed, you can only use 2 at the same time. The matrox card has 3 heads so you can with it.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #25
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 184
Well I just captured 30 minutes of video from a sony hdr fx1 using my new opteron 165 dual core system. Not overclocked on this test so it is taking the 1.8ghz speeds an extra 14 minutes to convert to the intermediate.
Oh, the 14 minutes was the estimated time listed in the cineform conversion window - I did not clock what the actual time was but will on next test.
Not so great, but this is just my first test.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harper
Any new updates about dual core, Premier Pro/Aspect performance?
Also, are any of the new dual core units hyperthreaded?
How about the Intel D 840 or 840 EE?
Intel D vs. AMD X2's??
Thanks,
Gary
__________________
Canon C100, 5D3
Jeff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #26
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
Parhelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Donato
Will not work...even though the cards have three outputs,since they are only dual headed, you can only use 2 at the same time. The matrox card has 3 heads so you can with it.
Thanks, I've ordered the Parhelia. One possible complication is that the video card I've ordered is a Sound Blaster X-Fi. I noted that one of its requirements is for a DirectX 9 compatible video card. I read that the Parhelia is not fully DirectX 9 compatible, so I might have to switch out the sound card.

Joe Clark
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #27
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark
Thanks, I've ordered the Parhelia. One possible complication is that the video card I've ordered is a Sound Blaster X-Fi. I noted that one of its requirements is for a DirectX 9 compatible video card. I read that the Parhelia is not fully DirectX 9 compatible, so I might have to switch out the sound card.

Joe Clark
So far, no incompatibilities have popped up, although the most daunting challenge in this experience is going to be the sound card. This X-Fi is massive in the scope of its capabilities. Makes the Premiere learning curve look like kindergarden.

I just got my activation number for AspectHD and have been enjoying capturing and editing with Premiere. This is a great combination.
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #28
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Guzauski
Hi,

The Parhelia scales very well to the resolution of the monitor. I think the motion is smoother if you let the card scale down rather than have it output 1080 and let the monitor scale down.

Mick Guzauski
Mick,

If you're still following the thread, I have the Parhelia and can't get it to display on the HDTV monitor. The two LCD's work fine, but nothing on the HDTV display. Do you remember having to do anything special to get the display? There's a plug-in on the Matrox disk for Premiere, but David Newman says it shouldn't even be necessary. My next stop is Matrox support, but they won't be answering it seems until next week. Thought you might have some thoughts, since your setup is so similar to mine.
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #29
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baker
Dual corewise, I just got an Opteron 165 which is a 939 socket opteron. These are dual core and have 2MB cache for a lot less than the x2 4400 (same cache). Since it is a server cpu is tested more and can usually be overclocked better and with more stability according to a lot of the overclocking forums.

I also just got and evga 7800gt video card which comes with a component out cable and dual dvi ports and just ordered an Acer 24" lcd monitor which seems to be running about $800 right now. Worth looking into.
Jeff,
Question 1: Is your HDTV set up as your second monitor then?

Question 2: Do all 7800s offer component out or are you refering to the DVI port?

Question 3: What motherboard are you running the Opteron on?

Thanks,
-- John.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #30
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
Jeff,
Question 1: Is your HDTV set up as your second monitor then?

Question 2: Do all 7800s offer component out or are you refering to the DVI port?

Question 3: What motherboard are you running the Opteron on?

Thanks,
-- John.
The evga 7800 has an external vivo breakout box that attaches to a port above the 2 DVI connectors. I am using this for my component monitoring as my hdtv does not have dvi port. Nividia recognizes this tv as a dual monitor setup.

I am running the evga nforce4 sli motherboard. Newegg and other dealers are offering a combo deal when you buy both of these products together.
__________________
Canon C100, 5D3
Jeff Baker is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network