Weird & Wobbly Horizontal Distrotion in Playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Weird & Wobbly Horizontal Distrotion in Playback

Hi,

I can't find any mention of this in other threads but it's likely been discussed before.

When I create a Cineform 1440x1080 project with footage from my Z1 (captured with Cineform) and I play it back, there is an unusual "wobblyness" to the image during movement or when playback is stopped.

I can't post a picture but I can do my best to describe it; when a vertical line is on screen, like the edge of a wall for example, it appears wavy in the preview window.

I have exported back to tape and the final product is fine but the preview window is affected and it is quite frustrating.

Has anybosy had this happen?

NOTE: I am not talking about the interlaced lines - I'm specifically referring to this weird wobbly effect. Vertical lines look like this:

/
\
/
\

Now, when I use the same footage in Premiere's HDV 1920x1080 project, it works just fine and there is no wobblyness. I am assuming therefore that this is to do with the 1440 Cineform alternative to Premiere's 1920. Am I on the right track? Can anyone explain it to me?

Thank you,
-- John.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is interlaced issue when a frame is scaled into the preview window. Within the playback setting control panel, select "de-interlace" while scrubbing to see if the fault goes away.

Note : "1440 Cineform alternative to Premiere's 1920" -- HDV is 1440 by 1080 not 1920.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
select "de-interlace" while scrubbing to see if the fault goes away.
De-interlace was already selected, but when I turned it off the problem became a heck of a lot worse. So maybe this is what it's supposed to look like...
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
"1440 Cineform alternative to Premiere's 1920" -- HDV is 1440 by 1080 not 1920.
You're right - I don't know how I got that wrong.

I can see what you mean now about the scaling - simply moving and resizing the preview monitor has an affect on the severity of this issue.

I suppose the only real 100% solutions would be to output via component to a TV or to have something like the Dell 24" with a high enough resolution to display the entire frame, right?

But even so, even on a HD capable PC monitor like the Dell, the interlaced lines are still likely to appear, aren't they? Is watching the preview on a TV the only solution?
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The weird thing is you shouldn't be seeing any of this. What version of Aspect HD are you running?
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm not sure, it's not mine that I'm using. I haven't purchased it yet (can't til I get my new computer) so I'm using a friend's computer who has it. I'll find out which version it is.

I thought that maybe it was a product of a 64Mb video card with a 2 year old CRT monitor - would that have anything to do with it?
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sure. Something isn't "normal" so a GFX card issue or older software could be at fault.
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

how bout you take a screenshot and view it on another computer and/or post it on here? just to isolate the problem further.
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #9
Major Player

I'd like to post a screenshot but I can't post attachments and I don't have any webspace.

Also, I found out that the graphics card is a more than capable (I think) nVidia 6600 but his version of Aspect is not current. He said it was "3.something" but wasn't sure what.
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

He should upgrade to 3.4, it is free.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase