Preview to Monitor works in scrub, not play... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Preview to Monitor works in scrub, not play...

Hi,

I have a eVGA 7800 GT and it's set up to show video on my second monitor. It works great with WMP and Quicktime, as well as scrubbing from the timeline.

However, playing from the timeline doesn't work unless I scrub or step through using the arrow keys.

Any ideas?

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Trustee

One clue: your problem is probably with the way teh videocard is providing video overlay. PPro doesnt use the overlay when scrubbing, but does for full playback.

Depending on settings, dual monitor configs sometime display overlay video on one monitor but not the other. What happens when you drag the playback window to the other monitor?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, Cineform Tech Support asked if I had installed all the Windows updates. Once I did that, it took care of it.

It just doesn't start playing the video when I press the space bar, a bit of a delay. I guess that's the nature of HDV until I get a MUCh faster computer.

Dual AMD Opteron 246 4 GIG RAM eVGA 7800 GT card.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Tourist

I'm trying out Aspect HD with PPro 2 and am having the same issue with seeing the timeline on a second monitor as it plays...just get black, and the preview monitor in PPro 2 also goes black. However, I can scrub or place the cursor anywhere on the timeline and see video on both monitors. Now, if I render the clips first, then I see the timeline play back as expected on both monitors, with a slight delay on the second monitor as mentioned by James. I am using an Adobe approved graphics card (ATI 9800 Pro), so I'm surprised by this issue. As it is I would not buy Aspect HD with this kind of performance. Is there a setting I am missing or am I stuck? TIA
Steven J Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As they both go back -- you have a setup issue. I have the same ATI card and it works great. The fact that you have to render first, sound like you are doing something wrong. You shouldn't have to render with CineForm AVI clips in a CineForm edit mode. Are you trying to play mpeg clips?
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Tourist

Now that you mention it, yes, they are Mpeg files I got from someone else, because I have not yet purchased an HDV camcorder, and thus cannot capture my own clips yet. I totally spaced that this would not be using the Cineform intermediary format for editing. Can you direct me to some Cineform captured clips I could us for trial purposes? Thanks!
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You can convert those Mpeg files using the HDLink tool that comes with the Aspect HD installation. Look inside the start menu under CineForm/Aspect HD. If they are *.mpeg you may need to rename them the correct *.m2t -- otherwise the conversion tool work on any MPEG transport stream file.
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Tourist

I had not dug in that deep yet, but thank you, it solved the first issue. Unfortunately, I am suffering from a 2-3 second lag in video playing on my second monitor once I hit the space bar to preview the timeline...this does not happen in the preview window inside PPro. You mentioned having the same graphics card working great for you, so any suggestions?
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There is a monitor refesh on the external display that causes that, which is mostly out of our control. That seems much longer then my ATI, but mine does it as well (although for work purposes I uses a single 1920x1200 24" display -- which has no such issue.)
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #10
Tourist

I don't want to beat this issue to death, but I tried the converted Cineform AVIs in a HDV PPro project and do not have this lag on the 2nd monitor. Can you explain this for me?
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Simply the PPro version runs much slower than Aspect HD, allowing a slower method to update the external monitor (avoiding the black frames.) Aspect HD has a playback accelerator for multi-stream real-time. It is the use of the accelerator that make Aspect HD different (along with higher quality codecs and a more features etc.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase