PCs that'll edit HD with Cineform/Premier Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PCs that'll edit HD with Cineform/Premier Pro

I'm trying to figure out the best PC to get to start editing HD at the lowest possible price-point. Right now the Premier Pro/Cineform combo seems to be the best option. What are most who are using this solution have under the hood of their computers. I was also curious if USB 2.0 drives are fast enough to keep up with the cineform codec or if I'll have to return to internal drives or even a raid set-up. Thanks.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
www.dynamovideo.com
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M Watson
I'm trying to figure out the best PC to get to start editing HD at the lowest possible price-point. Right now the Premier Pro/Cineform combo seems to be the best option. What are most who are using this solution have under the hood of their computers. I was also curious if USB 2.0 drives are fast enough to keep up with the cineform codec or if I'll have to return to internal drives or even a raid set-up. Thanks.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
www.dynamovideo.com
Chris,

You might want to look right here in our classified section. This one sounds fine to me.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60440

Ask for advice from others, but nice and cheep for a start.

JMHO----Mike
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike.

I guess maybe a better way to frame the question is if this computer will get me in the neighborhood with a few tweaks....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...697010&CatId=0

Thanks.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Depends on what you want to do with it. For basic editing that setup will be very adequate. (Not 100% sure about Windows Media Edition ... does it have all the XP features?).

For 3hour features you'll want more drivespace. For complex editing with mutliple streams of video you'll want RAID0 disks. And so on ...

But I was editing happily with a 3.0GHz P4 single core, so I'd say you're good to go with that machine.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Trustee

Oh, wait - the graphics card is intergrated on the motherbaord. That isnt ideal. Does it have an AGP slot so you can add a graphics card and disable the onboard one? Usually you can, but no mention I could see of an AGP slot in the specs....

For a cheap system, even a $50 NVidia FX5200 would be OK; get dualhead and you can add a second monitor later for more screen space.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Chris, we also offer a few comments here as you consider putting together a system: http://www.cineform.com/products/FAQ.htm#Aspect3
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
www.dynamovideo.com
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase