Rendering Progressive files in AspectHD 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Trustee

Rendering Progressive files in AspectHD 4

Currently I'm unable to render a progressive file [Export --> Movie --> Keyframe & Rendering --> "Progressive." It just stops the render and gives me an unknown error.

Working with Cineforms support I have reinstalled PPro 2 and AHD4 with no change. I can render an SD Microsoft AVI progressive just fine. I can also render a Cineform AVI 30i just fine, just not progressive.

I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, I have exactly the same issue. Unknown errors when attempting to export progressive scan.

The bug did not manifest in Aspect 3.4... I've only seen it in the transition to Premiere Pro 2.0 and Aspect 4.0

The only workaround I have managed to find is to export with lower field first. However, this introduces interlacing artifacts when using alpha channel fade effects. Though straight cuts appear to be fine.

I've informed David Newman of this last week, so hopefully the fact I'm not the only one having this issue will see this bug squashed in the next release.

Last edited by Richard Leadbetter; March 29th, 2006 at 01:47 PM.
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Richard,

Cineform support sent this workaround while they try to fix the problem. I have not actually had to use it yet, but I did test it and it seemed to work.

Create a 1440x1080 project that matches your framerate, but is progressive (1440x1080 30p).

Import your 30i project.

Open the sequence you wish to export.

Export to 1080 progressive with the same settings described above.

Let me know if this works for you.
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Richard,

What are your project settings and clip properties? David mentioned something about you creating interlaced 1280x720 clips, which may have an effect on the whole process.

It'd be great if you opened up a trouble ticket with some more info about your material/project so we can figure this out for you.

Chuck, glad to hear the workaround passed your tests. It will be fixed for the next release.
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Tim,

Ticket has duly been posted.

Last edited by Richard Leadbetter; March 29th, 2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Richard,

Remember you are using custom components for encoding, and encoding outside of an HDV workflow, so your experience will not match others. I do believe you are encoding 720p as interlaced data (visually will look the same) but maybe causing the issue. Please consider you particular workflow as beta, and the details should be off the public forums.
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Major Player

No problem David - Chuck's initial post sounded uncannily similar to my own problems. Have posted a ticket and amended my previous post.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter
No problem David - Chuck's initial post sounded uncannily similar to my own problems. Have posted a ticket and amended my previous post.
I can't render progressive either and I'm NOT using 720P. I acquired 1080i and would like to output progressive for DVD and High def plasma's.
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Chuck,

Tim suggested this workaround which so far seems to be very promising, although as David mentions, my workflow is very different to normal HDV. That said, the notion isn't a million miles away from your original suggestion and may help you.

1. Import your project into a new progressive scan project
2. Drag and drop the sequence from the old project onto the timeline.
3. From the CineForm effects folder, drag and drop a 'force render' onto the sequence.
4. Render it, then export.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter
Chuck,

Tim suggested this workaround which so far seems to be very promising, although as David mentions, my workflow is very different to normal HDV. That said, the notion isn't a million miles away from your original suggestion and may help you.

1. Import your project into a new progressive scan project
2. Drag and drop the sequence from the old project onto the timeline.
3. From the CineForm effects folder, drag and drop a 'force render' onto the sequence.
4. Render it, then export.
Thanks Richard,

That's pretty much the workaround that I'm using.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase