DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Problems with Converted/Rendered AVIs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/68291-problems-converted-rendered-avis.html)

Earl Thurston May 27th, 2006 10:59 AM

Problems with Converted/Rendered AVIs

1 Attachment(s)
I'm wondering if this is a common problem with an easy solution. About 5% of my captures, and a large percentage of my rendered Cineform AVI files, end up being corrupt with noise similar to the crop shown below.

Not only do they show this distortion, Windows Explorer and Media Player will often crash trying to load them.

In the case of captures, re-capturing the clip often works the second time, but it's a bit of a pain to go back (especially when things get hectic).

Renders, on the other hand (so far just from After Effects), give this result more frequently, and often a second or third attempt doesn't help.

The clips are all originating from the JVC GY-HD100U, HDV-HD24p, and the version of AspectHD I'm currently running is 4.0.2.54. Anyone know how to avoid this? (settings, upgrades, etc.?)

Richard Leadbetter May 27th, 2006 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I too have seen this issue on my own captures - the artefacts look very similar and yes, the captures won't play in Media Player. However, it's not a general DirectShow failure as my 'good' clips still work fine.

However, I am using dedicated software that talks directly to the DirectShow components in CineForm software so thought it was more to do with my own workflow rather than any fault in the CineForm products.

I'd say that this happens on 5% of my captures too. I cannot comment on CineForm renders as I prefer to export uncompressed from Premiere Pro 2.0. However, I'm sure the DirectShow encoder handles those duties too.

I am doing a big batch of captures over the next few days for a presentation I am working on, so if the bug manifests itself, I will post a screenshot or two.

EDIT: Just did a quick capture session and managed to get 'lucky' with a clip. Screenshot attached. David, I'm uploading a 12mb RARed CFHD onto our FTP site for you to take a look at - should be there in 30 mins.

A couple of notes on this. Firstly, I never have this problem using the VFW codec. Secondly, my software gives me a preview window of the DirectShow encoder's output and it always looks fine which is a bit of a puzzler.

David Newman May 27th, 2006 12:58 PM

This was fixed with verssion 4.0.3 (build 55 -- one later then you where using, it was introduced in build 49) and now it is totally gone Aspect HD 4.1.1. Try keeping up guys. ;)

I can be jokely now because that was a painful bug to find (it was related to the new CineForm RAW in PHD -- a little code crept to where it wasn't supposed to be.)

Richard Leadbetter May 27th, 2006 01:11 PM

Heh, I've been putting off the upgrade to keep my system 'as is' during a current run of projects, so apologies for that. Yes, I definitely saw this one materialise in the transition to Premiere Pro 2.0.

I'll be upgrading first thing tomorrow :)

Earl Thurston May 27th, 2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
This was fixed with verssion 4.0.3...Try keeping up guys. ;)

Ah, thanks. I didn't see this listed in the update log on your Web site, so wasn't aware it had been addressed.

Similar to Richard, I try to avoid updating software unless it's necessary (i.e. my specific problem is among the fixes, or there is new feature I really need). The unfortunate reality is that some upgrades (not necessarily CineForm's) break more than they fix, which can make a person rather hesitant.

Especially us Adobe users. :) (i.e. I'm still using Photoshop 5.0 at home because Photoshop CS2, which I use at work, is not as good in some areas.)

Earl Thurston May 27th, 2006 06:23 PM

By the way, when I ran the update installer, it said it was "uninstalling" Aspect HD. It even asked if I wanted to keep the decoder and other elements for Premiere. (Not knowing what the repercussions would be for the update, I answered "no".)

I wasn't sure if had only uninstalled the previous version or if it had also installed the update at the same time, so I ran the update installer a second time, which seemed to work as expected.

Was that normal? (Or necessary to run a second time?) Or was I supposed to do something I missed?

David Newman May 27th, 2006 06:34 PM

Yes it is normal. If you don't uninstall the old version first it does that for you -- we should make that a little more obvious as it can be confusing.

David

Alan Mills May 30th, 2006 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
By the way, when I ran the update installer, it said it was "uninstalling" Aspect HD. It even asked if I wanted to keep the decoder and other elements for Premiere. (Not knowing what the repercussions would be for the update, I answered "no".)

Apologies for the minior hijack here but....

I also tend to answer 'no' to these questions. David, what's best policy?

David Taylor May 30th, 2006 08:20 AM

Alan, the questions posed during uninstall are primarily for those who use our trial versions and don't make a purchase. We allow them to keep the decoder installed and active after the trial expires which is what these Q's are about. Being as you are reinstalling, the same components will be reinstalled so it doesn't matter.

Obin Olson June 4th, 2006 09:54 AM

oh yes! I used to have captures that looked like that all the time, got premiere pro 2 and the latest Prospect HD and they are gone. I still have some "bad" captures but that is because I can't batch capture from the panasonic 1200a deck via hd-sdi

Paul Kepen June 12th, 2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taylor
Alan, the questions posed during uninstall are primarily for those who use our trial versions and don't make a purchase. We allow them to keep the decoder installed and active after the trial expires which is what these Q's are about. Being as you are reinstalling, the same components will be reinstalled so it doesn't matter.

I purchase Aspect HD and have registered/activated it. So when I updated to the new version 4.1.2 ? it removed the old version but the default was to keep the decoder, so I did. Should I have said no, so that the update would install a new decoder?

Paul Kepen June 12th, 2006 06:02 PM

Poor Video output quality

I have folloed the directions precisely from the CF FAQ page. Made the AVi file from the edited CF and used that to go to DVD. This avi file has tons of artifacts. It doesn't matter if I'm watching on my computer, or the resultant interlaced DVD made with either Adobe Premiere 1.5.1, or Sony DVD Architect. I have captured stills, but when moving video, I get a monochromatic "rainbow effect on building faces, and and camera tilt creates a venetian blind effect of horizontal lines. When I output the edited CF codec file directly to the Encore, or DVD architect, the artifacting is reduced greatly, but the video is flatter and less sharp then even the artifact ladden AVI file. By flatter I mean, less contrast, less saturated colors + black, and the overall image is not as sharp, almost like looking thru a very thin cloud-all though not that bad.. I've tried to attach captured photo's. The 1st photo of each set is from the outputed AVI file. The second comes from the original CF clip.

David Newman June 12th, 2006 06:11 PM

Sounds like you need to contact tech-support. Please file a trouble ticket through the CineForm support site.