Convert Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Convert Question

I am using ConnectHD and I want to convert MPEG2-TS files which I can do but I want to output the files to a different hard drive/folder instead of the same hard drive/folder that the original files are in.

Can this be done?

The original files are on a hard drive I use with my notebook computer. I capture from my HC1 camera by firewire to the computer and then from computer to an external hard drive using USB2.

I then want to convert the files to my editing computer without having to spend the extra time of copying them first.

If I could have ConnectHD convert the files from the USB drive to a drive on my editing system then that would save the time of having to copy them first.

I do not see an option in the convert section to select a destination drive or folder.

Even if the files were pre-copied, it seems that the conversion would go faster if it were from drive to drive instead of all of it being done on the same drive.

I like the software but the interface really needs some work.

Thanks,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Danny. Good news - yes HDLink in Connect HD v3 supports this feature. For that matter so does HDLink in Aspect HD v4.1.1.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor
Hi Danny. Good news - yes HDLink in Connect HD v3 supports this feature. For that matter so does HDLink in Aspect HD v4.1.1.
Bad news, it doesn't!

I went to the Cineform page and yes I saw version 3.01 and yes it said, "File folder location for converted CineForm Intermediate AVI files can be different than the M2T source directory."

So I downloaded and activated it and the whole thing. Activation worked fine for me this time.

I run HDLink and click on convert, tell it my source files and there is absolutely no option to send the converted files to a different folder or anywhere else. The 'Prefs' don't have any options either.

From what I have seen so far it is exactly like the earlier version. Looks 100% like the earlier version. I don't see any of the new features that it claims to have. I haven't tested it in Vegas yet so there may be some difference there but with HDLink there are absolutely no visible differences other than the version number (3.0.1) and the build number (19).

Maybe they need to talk to their 'BETA' testers or something...

Anyway, so far no difference. I did verify that I have the latest version, it says so when I run it.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok, never mind, I found it. Talk about vague! Sheesh!!!

So much for the "!!!'s" Grin...

I wish Cineform would put a better user interface in this software. Yea, I can figure it out and it doesn't have to be a 'cheesy' kiddy type either, just one that significantly reduces the amount of time it takes to work with.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Danny, and others with the desire for a better UI for HDLink.... It's definitely on the list. Three years ago this started out as a very simply app with almost no features, so we used a simple dialog-box technique that was adequate at the time. Fast-forward to today and we have many new features and more planned, and that simple dialog-box interface isn't really up to the task any longer. So we must update this interface in the future to support our future plans for HDLink - we'll get to it one of these days.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase