DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Output to second monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/68622-output-second-monitor.html)

Stacy Rothwell May 31st, 2006 09:25 PM

Output to second monitor

I'm not sure whether this is a Premiere problem, a Cineform problem or a video card problem but here goes.....

I just bought a nVidia GEforce 6600 for the machine running PPro 2 and Cineform 4. This card comes with a component HD breakout cable and, when set up, will allow PPro (and other apps) to send any video playing to the HD connectors. It is going to the component input of a Sony PVM-L14/5

So far, so good. I changed the general settings, etc in the Cineform box to say "Show scrubbing timeline to true and deinterlace to false"

The video does, in fact, show up full-screen and obviously in HD on the monitor. The monitor is showing 1080i/60.

Now the problem.... When the timeline is NOT running (or a clip is not running), the video in the monitor is beautiful and crisp as can be. When you run the timeline, the video drops in resolution by at least half. It still plays back smoothly with no artificats and the monitor still shows 1080i/60 but the video becomes noticeable softer.

First, am I missing any settings somewhere? Second, whose problem does this sound like?

thanks for any help!

David Newman May 31st, 2006 09:35 PM

The playback in is preview mode for performance. If you go into the Playback Settings window, you can turn off this acceleration via the "Disable Preview Mode Playback" control.

Stacy Rothwell May 31st, 2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
The playback in is preview mode for performance. If you go into the Playback Settings window, you can turn off this acceleration via the "Disable Preview Mode Playback" control.

Yeah, I *knew* I was gonna feel dumb :-) Thanks.

You don't know of some secret trick to make this cool feature work in After Effects do you?

Thanks again....

Stacy

David Newman May 31st, 2006 10:35 PM

How do you mean? You want preview mode in AE? AE already has multi-res controls for preview (although no where near as faster as Aspect HD in Premiere.)

William Gardner June 1st, 2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Hi David,

When I try this and try to play something back on the timeline, I can't play anything and the time marker immediately jumps to the end of the current timeline. Is there something wrong? Does my PC just not have enough power to run with full resolution?

FYI, I'm running on a BOXX system with two 3.2 GHz Xeons and 1 Gb of RAM (yeah, yeah, I know I need more RAM...)

Thanks,
Bill

David Newman June 1st, 2006 10:20 AM

Probably, old Xeons are the slowest system for our codec due to the memory bottleneck, a P4 with 800 FSB is faster.

Stacy Rothwell June 1st, 2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

How do you mean? You want preview mode in AE? AE already has multi-res controls for preview (although no where near as faster as Aspect HD in Premiere.)

David,

When I'm in After Effects, I don't the full-screen output to the HD monitor like PPro with Cineform has. That's what I was wondering about.

Stacy

Alex Raskin June 2nd, 2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Gardner
When I try this and try to play something back on the timeline, I can't play anything and the time marker immediately jumps to the end of the current timeline. Is there something wrong?

I noticed the same problem, and my observation is that PPro/AHD starts acting up like this when you add a transition (or possibly a clip) to your timeline.

Sometimes when you do that, the playback is no longer available and the cursor simply jumps to the very end of the timeline.

If you're lucky enough to detect the issue when it just happened, then you can simply remove the latest transition and see your timeline playing back fine again.

Alternative way of recovery: keep the offending transition, but delete all PPro preview files for this project and force PPro to re-create them next time you open the project. Takes long (depending on the project) but works for me.

I hope this helps.

Stacy Rothwell June 2nd, 2006 06:38 PM

So does anyone know a trick for getting After Effects 7 to do the dual monitor full-screen output thing like PPro does?

thanks