What is the best computer for PP2 & Aspect HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM   #1
New Boot

What is the best computer for PP2 & Aspect HD

I am thinking of upgrading my system and I was thinking of getting a HP Workstation w/dual Xeon and Quadro 1400 or is it better to wait for the new Intel CPU's due in July (Can't remember the name) with an Gforce 7900 SLi setup?
Darryl Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Wait for the new Intel procs, they are awesome. Or if you can't wait get an Opteron base HP x9300 (which is a solid high performer.)
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Trustee

OK David,

I am waiting. Now, exactly which ones are you going to recommend? If you don't know yet, I will bug you again later.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Conroe is/will be a HIGH performer for all our software (P2K,PHD,AHD etc.)
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Major Player

I think Conroe ships in mid-July, with the laptop Merom chips shipping in August. Merom is essentially the same as Conroe at generally lower clock speeds and a lower front-side bus (667MHz vs Conroe's 1066MHz).

I've had a 2.16GHz Merom engineering sample benchmarked using CineForm tools on a top-end Dell notebook and the performance is significantly higher than my Athlon X2 4400 desktop system. With the extra clock speed and FSB bandwidth Conroe has, its performance should be astonishing.

Additionally, it's rumoured that the Extreme Edition Conroe chip will be clocked at 3.33GHz with a 1333MHz FSB. CineForm performance should be stratospheric!! :)
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Major Player

We just received (yesterday) an engineering sample (PC) from an unnamed computer company with a 2.66GHz Conroe chip (single chip dual core) with 1066 MHz FSB.

The quick (but not conclusive) benchmarks we ran shows that it (Conroe machine) is about 30% faster with our CineForm Intermediate decoder than the Pentium D 955-Extreme Edition we've had for a while. That's why we think the Conroe platform and its successors will become the new reference standard for our software. I can't wait to see Extreme Edition versions of this family.

Extreme Edition versions of the 840/955/965 processors are excellent, but the older HT P4 architecture is moving over towards Conroe (lower clock speed and more CISC-like instructions) and beyond. And these new procs are in Intel's desktop lineup, meaning they'll have the normal aggressive price decline curve attached to them.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I didn't know we where are allowed to say anything. :)
Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:45 AM   #8
Trustee

I'll be happy to send you a Fedex number to use to forward any extra machines to me, like old 955EE equipped dinosaurs, just so you won't have to go through the hassle of disposing of them. ;)
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Will this system work well w/HVX-200?

I was told by a local vendor that the system described below would "scream" and serve all my needs for the HVX. Is this a good choice? Or did I "buy a bridge"?

All input welcome.
Thanks.

Cineform Aspect HD 4.11 Certified Editing System
Adobe Video Bundle w/ Flash 8.0 Professional (Premiere,
Encore, Audition, etc.)
Certified AMD Tyan Motherboard w/ On-board Audio &
PCI-Express
Dual AMD Opteron 2.2ghz 275 Processors
2GB DDR400 ECC Registered Memory (4x512mb)
200GB Boot Drive 7200RPM Seagate SATA-II w/
Removable Carrier
2000GB (2TB) SATA II Seagate Raid 5 or 0 Storage w/
RAID Card
Certified PNY Quadro FX1500 Dual Link DVI w/ HD
Component Output
Xtra PCI-X Firewire 400 / 2 Port Firewire 800 Card
Windows XP Professional 32bit w/ Service Pack 2
Creative Labs Speakers w/ Subwoofer
Logitech Optical Mouse
Worldtech Shortcut Keyboard for Adobe Premiere Pro
Contour Design Shuttle Pro V2 (upgraded from
ShuttleXpress)
1 Year - ON-SITE Tech Support
(Covers basic support and parts, power supply not included.
See website for warranty)
**Hard drives do have add'l warranty, usually 3-5 years

Pioneer 16X DVD-R/RW CD/DVD Drive w/ Dual Layer
DVD+DL
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is a very nice system. You will have 4 cores working for you. With that type of system you may want to consider Prospect HD Edit with an AJA LHe card (or at least upgrading to that in the future.)
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Denis - yep, it's definitely a screamer. In fact, it's actually a bit overkill for Aspect HD - you really don't need four procs. You could cut back to a 955EE system (or upcoming Conroe) and save about enough to move up to PHD-Edit and get 10-bits. The 10-bit upgrade will show as incremental visual fidelity in your final result. The speed of the system underneath doesn't directly translate to higher visual quality. Just a thought....
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the input!

David & David,
I've ordered the system I describe above. May be overkill for now, but since you pretty much confirm what the vendor told me, I'm going with it. He also told me there's room to upgrade. As long as I can do that, I feel less anxiety about the purchase.

Thanks again.
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #13
Major Player

Hey Denis, let us know how many HD streams you can sustain simultaneously with Aspect HD on that system after you get it tuned up. That'll be a fun benchmark. We have 275 systems at CineForm but we don't have any RAID 5 drive configurations. I suspect with a RAID 5 (or four-drive RAID 0) the drive subsystem should be able to sustain close to 12 streams (+/-) of 1080i. You may run out of CPU in the range of 10-12 streams. Let us know....
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #14
Major Player

David,

Will do my best. I don't have the system yet; expect to take delivery this week or next. (I have to get more furniture and rearrange my "studio", so it will be a while before I can accommodate, but will keep you in mind).

Your input has been encouraging...Thanks again.
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Addendum to David Taylor:

David,
do you work at Cineform? The vendor I'm dealing with speaks VERY highly of Cineform products, and says he speaks to some folks there often. Actually, he persuaded me to steer away from an Intel HP system - and the popular NLE system used on an HP - in order to gain the benefits of Aspect HD and what he claims is the increased speed of AMD.

At present, my concern is working with my indie "mentor" - who uses Avid, and does not yet have Express Pro HD, but expects to upgrade in the near future. I need to be able to provide him with video. I suspect I can do that directly from my camera, but am unsure as to what would be best if giving him edited footage.

My vendor suggests I get a Citidisk for DTE, but haven't heard enough good about them yet to convince me to go that route, i.e. do they play well w/the HVX-200? Are you aware of any problems I'm likely to run into if I go w/Citidisk?
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase