DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Thank you Cineform (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/68754-thank-you-cineform.html)

Derek Serra July 28th, 2005 01:47 PM

Thanks Cineform

Just a word of thanks to Cineform for refunding me the difference of $ 100 between what I paid for AspectHD at the full price, and the special offer price they announced a few days after my purchase. Instead of an irate customer they now have a happy customer. Oh, if all businesses cared so much...

Grant Gillum July 29th, 2005 10:31 PM

special offer

What is the special offer that Cineform announced? I couldn't find anything about a special offer on their website.

Obin Olson June 2nd, 2006 05:37 PM

Thank you Cineform

Gotta hand it to you guys, nothing like a small company that's cutting edge! Not only do I have(thanks to you) a SLICK 2k edit system but now having the hvx your support for the p2 convert/downsize and 180flip is ...SICK....I mean when do you see a company like ADOBE get off the shit pot and RESPOND to what users want under 1-2 years? no, I did not say hours, days or weeks, not even months..but sometimes YEARS...

I guess it takes the few and the small who "get it" to step up to the plate.

BTW the HVX may not be a Silicon Imaging camera, but it sure can perform with the redrock35 on it! I will post some cineform video when we get more shot.

David Newman June 2nd, 2006 05:47 PM

Obin, Thanks. Looking forward to the vid.

Joe Carney November 17th, 2006 04:17 PM

Thanks for the updates for ConnectHD

Appreciate the 10bit color depth and 16bit rendering option. Just make it easier to bring in AE output to Vegas.

Thanks

David Newman November 17th, 2006 04:20 PM

That option is within Prospect HD Ingest, Edit or the Codecs pack, not within Connect HD directly (which is still an 8-bit application.)

Joe Carney November 17th, 2006 08:25 PM

Hmm, so connect didn't get 10bit color space. Sorry for the mixup. Been that kind of day.

Joe Carney November 17th, 2006 08:37 PM

You posted this over at Sony...
but we are making this option is available though Prospect HD Codecs Pack ($799) for those doing high-end work in Vegas and for 16-bit+ compositing within AE Pro.

I couldn't find that at the Cineform site. Does that option give Vegas the option to maintain 10bit color space for imported files via Cineform ..(even though output is 8bit).

David Newman November 18th, 2006 12:19 AM

We haven't made the online order option public yet, but we do sell this package. Prospect HD Codecs and like a 10-bit versioon of Connect HD with 16 & 32-bit AE Pro support -- I just wanted to make it clear that isn't part of the entry level Connect HD product. The codecs pack will get a bigger boast once the Mac version become available.

10-bit data created outside of Vegas will be dithered to 8-bit for Vegas decodes, giving the best gradients (i.e. smooth) Vegas can support. As codec like 99% of other video compressors (HDCAM, DVCPRO-HD, Avid DNxHD, Conpus WQ, HDV, etc.) is YUV based, 8-bit RGB to 8-bit YUV conversion is a lossy transform, yet 8-RGB to 10-bit YUV is not (it is mathematically reservable.) But offering a 10-bit internal representation, even for 8-bit RGB sources you get a significant boost in color precision. We did this across the whole Prospect HD product line.

Joe Carney November 18th, 2006 12:20 PM

Thanks for explaining that. Since I also have AE 7 Pro and some 3d apps that will render out to any legal codec installed, the 10bit codec option sounds like a good deal for compositing. I know it's not raw, but still better than 8bit.

David Taylor November 18th, 2006 06:59 PM

Joe, our 10-bit codecs pack is available, but with the AVI version you needed to use PremPro or AE to use 10-bits because we wrote custom importers/exporters to exploit that. We now have beta 10-bit QuickTime support (Windows only now) available too. We have verified that Combustion uses 10-bit CineForm files but we haven't tested extensively with other apps yet. If you have some preferred Windows apps that support 10-bit QT then I can make a Trial of the codec available for you to experiment with.

Our experience is that to take advantage of 10-bits using our QT wrapper we often have to "force" the app to support 10 bit through a simple configuration file. This config file is fairly simple, and is not nearly as comprehensive as doing an importer or exporter, but the app needs to be told to ask for 10 bits. This simply means that if you have a 10-bit capable QT app we may need to use similar logic to force it to see our 10-bit files. Otherwise it will see them as 8-bit files.

PM me separately if you'd like to evaluate.

Marty Baggen November 12th, 2007 01:13 PM

Thanks to Support

A failed system drive... you know the story. No deactivation... and a failed reactivation.

Yet, within hours... on a holiday no less, I receive a response to my ticket and I am back in the saddle.

Thanks Cineform Support.