File Compatibilty Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Major Player

File Compatibilty Question

First, can Cineform software use the files on Firestore or from DVRack from the JVC HD100 (MPEG GOP-6 and GOP-12) and the HVX200 (DVCPro50, DVCProHD)?

Second, which Cineform software is needed for each? I think AspectHD works with the HD100. However, does it work in both formats? With AspectHD work with the HVX200 files, or is ProspectHD needed?

Thanks,

David
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

All our products work with all those cameras. You just need to select which product has the features you need. Aspect HD will work well, but Prospect HD adds 10-bit compression, and 32-bit float processing, with HDSDI monitoring support. For highly creative projects, film or TV, that use a lot of color correction and compositing, go with Prospect HD.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #3
Major Player

However, AspectHD is $500 and ProspectHD is $1300 and only available directly from Cineform. Is that correct? Are the differences that obvious? Are they examples of the difference between AspectHD and ProspectHD on the Cineform website or elsewhere?

AspectHD doesn't seem to have the resolutions for the HVX200 nor support for 1080p24. Is there an accurate list of the various Panasonic and JVC resolutions (including 720p60 GOP12) and how they are handles?

The HVX200 page on from ProspectHD talks about a P2 driver. Can Cineform load directly from a Firestore or a HVX200 HD PC file from DVRack?

Thanks,

David
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Major Player

David, most of your questions are answered on our website by reading our product pages. The products are available from us - we also have a long list of resellers listed on our website.

Regarding a few of the specifics of your questions, Aspect HD is 8 bits and Prospect HD is 10 bits. The choice of which is important for your needs is a function of your post requirements. 10 bits can be very helpful to eliminate banding if you are doing a lot of color correction, compositing, effects work, etc. On the Prospect HD product page we give a clear example of how banding can occur during 8-bit post work but not occur when using 10 bits, even if your source (like the HVX200) is 8 bits.

Prospect HD also has increased spatial resolution up to 1920x1080 versus 1440 x 1080 for Aspect HD. So all spatial resolutions of the HVX200 are covered by Aspect HD unless you prefer to take the 1280x1080 mode of the HVX200 and up-rez it to 1920x1080 to get to square pixel.

Aspect HD / Prospect HD can load files directly from the mounted Firestore drives as long as the proper Firestore drivers are installed.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Major Player

While I'm sure the information is there, it is not everywhere. For example, all of the AspectHD documentation only talks about HDV support.

The two resellers I looked at--B&H and Videoguys--only carry AspectHD. Three resellers are listed as ProspectHD integrators, however none list the software by itself.

Both of these products are more expensive then the underlying software. ProspectHD software is more expensive than the entire Adobe Production Studio.

What Firestore driver is required? Doesn't it appear as a harddisk? Have you or one of your customers used your product with DVRack HDV and HVX200 files?

Thanks,

David
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As all the editing is done in CineForm Intermediate format, Aspect HD converts P2 DVCPRO-(HD) media just as it does HDV. So everything you read about HDV also applies to the HXV200 camera. We do have customers using the FireStore with Aspect HD, it works great. The FS is seen as a drive, and all the files are converted using HDLink.exe (included with all our products) just as it would with P2 media. Download Aspect HD and try for yourself.
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Although I haven't started with HD yet (I'm trying to get all my ducks in a line before the $10k or so expense), it sounds like these products also enhance SD editing.

Wouild AspectHD enhance SD editing or would I need PropectHD's 10-bit color, 32-bit calculation to see an improvement? The line example seems to compare ProspectHD to a non-Cineform 8-bit editing solution. Is there an example comparing AspectHD and ProspectHD color correction and compositing?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
I have to complete a short project this week...one that needs a lot of image correction (shot indoors with no additional lights). Would the trial version be able to work with this?
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The trial lasts for 15-days, so yes it could be enough time for your project.

And can use Aspect HD or Prospect HD for SD editing, although only a few customers do this -- once you have HD it is hard to work in SD again (as you can aways master to SD from a HD project.)

The reason we compared Prospect HD to uncompressed 8-bit, is to prove 8-bit is the issue not compression. If we used 8-bit compression (like Aspect HD) you would see similar results (i.e. 8-bit can show banding), but the message would be less clear.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9
Major Player

So you are saying I need to pony up $1300 for the improved color correction.

Is B&H or Videoguys going to sell the ProspectHD software?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
Between the camera, accessories, Firestore, Cineform software (DVRack HDV extension was only $140) I'm looking at a bit of change...so I probably won't pull the trigger until the HVX200a, HD110, HD200, HD220 and the new Fujinon and Canon lenses are out and can evaluate all their new features.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

David,

At that price Prospect HD it is by far the cheapest real-time 10-bit solution on the market. All the "native" solutions from Canopus to FCP are 8-bit and have the same (if not worse) banding issues. So in that comparison we are most other popular NLEs vs Prospect HD.

Currently neither B&H or V.G. stock Prospect HD, so we have the best deal.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
Although I haven't started with HD yet ......
........I have to complete a short project this week...one that needs a lot of image correction (shot indoors with no additional lights). Would the trial version be able to work with this?
Go Start with this...and "cut the crap" ( no pun intended, its just that these precious ressources at Cineform need all the time they can have to DEVELLOP new features, not to discuss such secondary points...)
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Pierre, if you don't have something postive to add, don't say anything. What you said is not positive.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sorry if I hurt you, i never meant it. I personally find very positive to "go for it" .
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #14
Tourist

DVRack HDV extension & Aspect HD

Can Aspect HD convert files captured by DVRack/HDV? Will there be any problems?

Thanks,
Raymond
Ray Aquino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It should work fine. Tell me if it doesn't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase