DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HDLink Field Dominance for Resize Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/75720-hdlink-field-dominance-resize-video.html)

Wayne Johnson September 18th, 2006 08:08 AM

HDLink Field Dominance for Resize Video

I converted an M2T file to AVI using the new 4.2 HDLink. My hope was to produce a resized video for burning to a DVD without letterboxing. I specified "NTSC 4x3 centered" under resize video and got an AVI file that had clipped the wide screen exactly as I desired.

When I burned the video to a DVD, however, I noted the same artifacts that I get when the field dominance has been reversed (readily apparent during pans). Does HDLink retain the upper-field-first dominance when producing the NTSC file? As near as I can tell, AVI files don't seem to contain a flag specifying field dominance, or if they do, most programs don't use it.

I had big hopes for the HDLink "pillarboxed" conversion, but unless I'm seeing artifacts that don't exist, I can't use it in its present form.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Wayne

Tim Bucklin September 18th, 2006 01:37 PM

Hi Wayne,
Sorry, that was a bug that did not reverse the field dominance when going from 1080i to 480i. It's fixed and should be in the next build.

Wayne Johnson September 18th, 2006 04:09 PM

That was quick! Thanks! Wayne

Wayne Johnson September 20th, 2006 06:25 AM

I don't see it in the update log for 4.21. Can I assume it's there anyway?

BTW, no one has ever answered my question about whether the field dominance can be determined by a setting in the video file. I just output an m2T file and specified lower first instead of the standard upper first. I'm assuming the old HDLink will now convert to a correct lower field first NTSC avi file, but...???

Thanks,
Wayne

David Newman September 20th, 2006 08:43 AM

The assumes as easy, M2T HD is upper field first, NTSC is lower field file first, now works correctly.

Wayne Johnson September 22nd, 2006 02:48 PM

My tests indicate no change with 4.21. My test of 4.20 specifying an M2T file with lower field first and then an HDLink convert did fix the stuttering problem. Are you sure the fix got in 4.21?

David Newman September 22nd, 2006 03:24 PM

It testing that myself and it worked, I will check again.

Wayne Johnson September 27th, 2006 09:43 AM

I've verified that I'm using 4.21 and repeated my test using LFF M2T output from PPRO. It produces correct results, meaning the field dominance is not being changed going to 4x3 Centered SD.

[I'm assuming incorrect field dominance when pans and zooms have mind-altering stutters and when a pause will show "streaks" at motion boundaries. Am I wrong?]

Thanks,
Wayne

David Newman September 27th, 2006 09:47 AM

No, however I won't trust the Adobe Media Encoder for M2T exports, particularly for filters. This has been a problem in the past. Just export to CineForm HD AVI as UFF, then export that to NTSC LFF, it works fine (and it is a higher quality solution.)

Wayne Johnson October 2nd, 2006 02:50 PM

You are correct. It works perfectly. BTW, I assume you meant "convert" to NTSC, not "export". Also, I had trouble trying to convert Cineform HDV AVI until I figured out that either the input file can't be named .avi or Split Scenes has to be checked in order to force the output file to be named -001.avi.

David Newman October 2nd, 2006 03:30 PM

Wayne, You also have the option to convert into another folder, but it is true we can't convert to the same filename.

Wayne Johnson October 3rd, 2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
Wayne, You also have the option to convert into another folder, but it is true we can't convert to the same filename.

I can't find the option for another folder. Somewhere in Prefs?

Thanks,
Wayne

David Newman October 3rd, 2006 09:56 AM

Yes, in Prefs under "Capture Location" there is a check box "Use Capture Location for converted files."