CineForm and Sony XDCAM HD - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Interesting, but somewhat illustrating that XDCAM encoding is not for typical applications, and the need is not wide spread. You could export to a CineForm MOV, put that into FCP an export that to XDCAM as needed.
True, but the catch is I don't have a mac on the road. Only a PC. I can transfer the MXF file from a PC, but I can't convert TO the MXF file on a pc. That's where the bugger is.

I guess I'll just have to render to m2t file and use the XDCAM's transport stream option card.

Now if someone could just make a program like Parallels that tricks OSX into running on a virtual machine in a PC! My problem would be solved :-)

Thanks David.
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Hi Stacy,
You can use Vegas to convert to MXF.
You edit in PP and with
one more step in Vegas you can convert a MXF. It´s not straight, but you can do in a PC.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #63
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Interesting, but somewhat illustrating that XDCAM encoding is not for typical applications, and the need is not wide spread.
It's just that XDCAM is a newer technology. As a hint of future business, Sony is marketing this as the next Betacam. CNN will be using this format as will CBS and all their O&O stations. Other networks are also coming on board.

I feel Stacy's pain. I have XDCAM HD, and I have both Mac and Windows in my house. It's difficult to move between the platforms. But that's the purpose of MXF. It's a Media eXchange Format. The full resolution files are MPEG2 LONG GOP with meta data wrapped together. I know you guys know how to do MPEG2. All that remains is for you to wrap it back into an MXF format file. I am sure Sony would be happy to work with you on this as well.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #64
CTO, CineForm Inc.

MXF wrapper are nice, we would happily support more acceptence of third party essence media type so we could wrap CineForm compression in this format. Unfortunately MXF is not being used as the exhange format it was proposed for, just islands of custom implements. The Sony MPEG2 implementation is pretty standard, then look at the Panasonic version for real confusion. We will be add MXF MPEG2 exports when there is enough market demand, from our customers.
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Hd Link and XDCAM HD

Hello has any one have any sucess transfering the XDCAM footage to Cineform. I have Aspect HD 5.05 build 88 with the CS3 package. I thought this was the latest build with the XDCAM HD capabilities. am I wrong? HD link is crashing every time I try to convert the clip. Do I need the Sony software as well or should it work with just HD Link?
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #66
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There was a bug fix sent to those who asked, but now that is going out generally in a couple of days. A sneak peak will be posted here today.
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Are they the ones aready listed in the other post?
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #68
Regular Crew

HD link and XDCAM HD

Still Crashing :( no time to really look into it but I did two uninstalls and then installs. Do a trouble ticket later.
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #69
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sounds like you have something missing on your end, as other are working fine with XDCAM. Hopefully support can determine what is missing. In preparation, upload an MXF file that is not working so support can use that to confirm there are no inherent issues.
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #70
Regular Crew

XDCAM Footage

Hey David or anyone can some one send me a native XDCAM file via you send it that would be awsome it could be just the file for some reason. My email in is my profile. thanks Matt I am trying to test the XDCAM HD and Aspect with premiere.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #71
Regular Crew

I was informed that it was a 1080P clip. Does that matter?
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #72
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Matthew, we did find a failure point for MXF XDCAM conversions and addressed it in the latest builds Aspect HD 5.1 and 3.1 of everthing else.
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #73
Regular Crew

It works

hurray it works!!!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #74
Regular Crew

XDCAM + ProspectHD + VAIO laptop

Hello,
I have been reading and getting all types of useful information on dvinfo since I don't know when, and it is time now for my first post!
;)
I am about to start a production for a TV documentary series that will be shot on the F350. The question is this.
Will I be able to edit the footage on my VAIO laptop using ProspectHD and Premiere CS3? From what I have read so far in the forum and from the cineform product pages, I see that this is the way to go, I just need a confirmation because we need to set it up quickly and I don't want to go on a route that doesn't work due to incompatibilities or other issues.
Also, I read on the product page that minimum requirement for CPU is a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6700. My VAIO VGN-A397XP has a Centrino 2.00GHz with 2GB RAM. Is this sufficient?

Thanks for your time,
Stathis
Stathis Athanasiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #75
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That minimum system spec is for live captures from HDSDI or HDMI, but as you are shooting to XDCAM disk, that spec doesn't apply. You can convert file based data (like that of XDCAM) on a much sloerw PC than that VAIO system. The only concern with laptop editing is to have the fastest drive(s) you can put in. Stock drives will work, yet for real-time dissolves, and other dual stream operations, a faster disk system helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase