CineForm and Sony XDCAM HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 21st, 2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

CineForm and Sony XDCAM HD

Will Cineform be supporting the new XDCAM HD?
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:20 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have had discussions with Sony on XDCAM HD, and consider this project very feasible. I can't say more.
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, I'm hoping for announcements at NAB. Until then I'll just chill.
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

PDW-F330 Sony XDCAM HD Camcorder

Any one know if Cineform is going to have a plugin for Premiere Pro that would work with the new Sony XDCam with the full 35mb encoding? I do not want to use the HDV through the Firewire.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I too would like the ability to use CF with F350 clips. But you need to consider that with XDCAM you would not normally "capture" from the camera to the PC, instead you would use the FAM (file access mode) feature to simply copy the files/clips you want from the camera or deck to the PC, no capturing required. So this would mean that you would need to transcode the clips using a simple conversion application. So what you need is a conversion programme that supports MXF files to transcode the footage to CFHD avi's. I use canopus pro coder, but I don't know whether this supports MXF's, it will certainly produce nice CFHD avi's from other formats. Maybe Cineform will add sony XDCAM HD MXF's to the conversion options of Aspect, connectHD and Prospect, that would then enable you to mix HDV and XDCAM in the same projects.

If you have the HDV option card for the XDCAM HD decks and you shoot at 25Mb then you can playback and produce a HDV compatible stream over the firewire, then you should be able to capture using Connect HD. But I'm really more interested in the 35Mb data rate.

How about it Cineform???

Guess we won't hear anything till after NAB.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:24 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm not au fait with this file format, but if you can playback your clips in Media Player via DirectShow, there's nothing to stop you creating an AviSynth script to read in the file, then save it off as a CFHD AVI in VirtualDub (assuming sound is limited to stereo - surround could be a challenge).

There seems to be some discussion on getting MXF files running in Media Player right here. The bottom line is that if DirectShow can get a handle on the files (ie there is a decoder filter), so can AviSynth via its DirectShowSource() command. If you can upload a two-second clip somewhere, I'll be happy to check it out.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We are looking into adding MXF conversion support to HDLink, which would enable XDCAM HD to be simple converted to CineForm Intermediate AVI. How many of you are ready for this?
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ready by May! I hope? Still may not use XDCAM HD

We are looking into using XDCAM HD but would like it to fit a little easier in the post set up that we have now with out reconfiguring the whole thing. Still looking into post options so I can not really talk in depth about it yet. We would like to use Adobe products and have been looking at the AJA card that goes with it. But if we could just use HD link and put the money towards something else for production great! Still need to look into the deck and how that needs to hook up to the NLE. Thanks for your repley David

Any more details you can give us about Cineform and the XDCAM HD would be great.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I will be taking delivery of my F350 on June 10th. So I for one would love to have the option of converting XDCAM MXF's to CFHD so I can keep all my HD footage in the one superior format. I know AVID are going to be releasing an update for Xpress Pro, but I just keep comming back to premiere pro because of all the plug-ins.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

5 More Days Alister

Hey Alister I bet you are about to loose it when you get that Camera. I am hardcore Premiere guy to I just like the workflow. and PC's are much easier to maintain then a Mac. David how is the HDlink and XMF file format going?
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Got MXF working for the Panasonic HVX200 in the latest versions of our software -- so we are closer on XDCAM HD.
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #12
Inner Circle

That's good news David. I have my F350, nice camera. All I need now is a way to edit the MXF files.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Still trying to work out a way of getting CF files from my Mpeg MXF's. I can use the Snell and Wilcox or MOG solutions to strip out the MPEG video and aes audio but none of my file conversion programmes recognise the aes audio. It would be so nice to be able to stick with cineform as it is a good balance between file size, quality and processor requirement. It's starting to look like I may have to go down the Avid route.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you already have a MOG license to the MXF Demux than conversion to CineForm is pretty straight forward. Those MOG components work great and are DirectShow based, and so is the CineForm encoding components, so they can all be easily hooked up. This is how HDLink is likely to do it, when we find the time and/or high demand for XDCAM-HD support. Because of the additional licensing it is likely to be in Prospect HD only.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #15
Trustee

CineForm's HDLink( part if Aspect and Prospect) is very nice, 100% easy to use and it seems to work on all the mxf files that Panasonic p2 cameras can throw at it.

-from a realworld user
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase