How to re-install properly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

How to re-install properly?

Hi David,

I have on my computer that build 71 locks-up when I want to convert files through HDlink sor some reason. The logging shows nothing, it just locks from the moment I press Start.
I re-installed already 2 times, with no luck. Is there a procedure to completly wipe the softwareversion from the computer? Since the de-installer doesn't remove everything? I know it must be related to that, since my laptop does convert properly.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

A re-install may do the trick. In our next verison we hope to add a script to re-register everything, we are finding the installer tools we use doesn't always register all the components (randomly.) We have add this to our latest Prospect HD build.
Old November 12th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #3
Major Player

So what you suggest is to clean also the registry? Because the standard uninstall-re-install doesn't help on my machine.
The plug-in works fine in Adobe Premiere 2.0, it's HDlink which has the lockup
Old November 12th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Uninstalled, cleaned the registry on any 'cineform' string, rebooted and installed again. Nothing helps, HDlink simlply locks-up up without any notification or error in the logging.
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Marc,

are you getting an error message of any kind? I recently found on a customer installation that a MSFT dll was missing (we got an error message). When it was restored everything worked perfectly.

EDIT: I just saw your new post in another thread - it seems like the reinstall worked for you?
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor
Marc,

are you getting an error message of any kind? I recently found on a customer installation that a MSFT dll was missing (we got an error message). When it was restored everything worked perfectly.

EDIT: I just saw your new post in another thread - it seems like the reinstall worked for you?
Hi David,
No, both problems poped-up on two seperate machines. My Laptop and editing computer. The laptop problem is solved in the other post by reinstalling after installing the DVrack update.
On my editing computer with HDlink I cannot convert PPro 2.0 exported CineformAVI 720p25 to Pal 16x9 to create files for DVD. It does not print any message, it's just locking-up as soon as I press Start. I tried 2 times uninstalling, cleaning the registry 'cineform stuff', and installing again. But the problem there persists. If I reinstall it should also install this MSFT.dll, or is this a windows-file you are talking about?
Please help.
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Try running regsvr32.exe on all the *.ax files within C:\Program Files\Common Files\CineForm. The easiest way to do this.

1) Double click on an .ax file.
2) Windows should ask you what application to run, choose "Select the program from a list" and click "OK"
3) Check "Always use the selected program ..."
4) Browse and find "c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe"

Now you can double click on any AX file to register them.

Tell us if any reports an error.
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks David, for helping me out on a sunday.
I will try that.
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Major Player

I went through the procedure for every AX file like you described.
No error during that process.
Then I started up HDlink again, unfortunally the same thing happening. No change.
Should I give it a try by uninstalling again and remove the cineform directory in Common files manually before re-installing?
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is nolonger likely to be an installing isue, as the registering set is most what the installer does. There seems to be another system issue/conflict. Can you convert non-M2T files? I wondering if you MPEG decoder is broken, try converting some AVI or MXF files.
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Major Player

If it can help you.
M2T files convert fine.
AVI files DV-codec and Cineform-codec lockup the HDlink.
Both AVI file formats work fine in other programs such as media player VLC, PPro 2.0 EncoreDVD etc...
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Weird. AVI conversion is much simpler than M2T. What we do it almost as simple as playing a clip in mediaplayer (does that work?) Have you updated anything else? Does the conversion fail, with or without with upconversion, pulldown removal, or deinterlacing?
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #13
Major Player

It is very weird yes. Here is my workflow:
1. I captured footage 720p25 through HDlink and I have working CineformAVI files in Adobe PPro 2.0.
2. I editied with the Cineform 1280x720 25 frames Adobe preset and exported a CineformAVI 720p25, no problems whatsoever to play them in Media player or Adobe.
3. Then I wanted to convert the 720p25 to Pal 16x9 to export on DVD later on. So I opened HDlink, Selected the 720p25file. In preferences I changed the setting to convert to 'PAL 16x9'. No other settings changed. When I press 'Start' it just locks. I hoped it would give an error in the logging, but it doesn't.

As I said, I tried after reading your reply to convert other file formats which seem to work. The other settings you ask I will try this evening.

I would like to remove the whole AspectHD software, so I can do a clean install again. But it still knows the serial number for example, so the uninstall does keep bit and pieces on my computer. I suspects that conflicts in some ways with previous version installations?
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Does scaling to NTSC or up 1440x1080 work? Wondering if it is PAL in general or all scales. 720p to 576p is working here.
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Does scaling to NTSC or up 1440x1080 work? Wondering if it is PAL in general or all scales. 720p to 576p is working here.
Nope any setting does lock it. The same happens when I installed build 72.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase