HDlink does not upconvert to 10 bit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Major Player

HDlink does not upconvert to 10 bit

Man, I am just not having much luck. So, I bring in all my HDV footage via HDVsplit. ( I have had a ticket in about scene detection within PPR2 not working for just about a month with no response. :o( Sorry David, but the truth). HDVsplit has worked perfectly.

So, I then go and use HDlink to upconvert (I thought) all my video from 8 bit 1440 by 1080 to 10 bit 1920 by 1080. So, I start to work on my christmas video and start putting clips into PPro2. I pull one clip in and its not widescreen. I then look at the attributes of the avi file that HDlink make and its is still 8 bit. So, I go back to HDlink, look and prefs, and the 8 to 10 bit conversion box is checked. Rerun the program. The avi output is still 8 bit.

Okay, if it even more weird. I just went back to a M2t time I used hdlink on earlier that correctly outputted a 10 bit avi. I redid the conversion, and it only outputted a 8 bit.

So, what could have changed. I am using XP. :o(

I will keep looking, but this cant be that hard.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I have not changed the default CF encoder options, which are
medium quality, automatic frame format, and the up convert 8bit to 10 bit is checked.

Again whats is weird is it was working. :o(

Dave
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Trustee

I really don't feel like looking back through your posts, so if it is hidden away in them somewhere, forgive my lazyness...

Do you have Prospect HD? Because Aspect HD is 8 bit only.
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Yep, have been using Prospect HD for a while. Again, I did this a few days ago and it converted all the files correctly. Meaning, I have most of them as 10 bit files. But the last tape I did, did not convert. And doing a file that worked before does not work now. I just did the re-register thing for .ax files, no difference. I am not aware I loaded any new s/w. Darnest thing I have ever seen. I keep trying to find something that changed.

Whats interesting is I kept wondering why Ultra was always saying 4x3 format. Well, it was a clip that was not converted by HDlink. Now, the output clip from Ultra, using the CF codec is correct at 10 bit.

Strange stuff.

Dave
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Major Player

More data, again weird. The M2t is 28 megs in size. If I convert with the 8 bit option, it makes a 94 meg file, and the specs and the file say 1440x1080. If I click the 8 to 10 bit, it makes an avi file of the size 131meg. This is what I expect for the 10 bit file. But, the specs on the file still say 1440x1080.

Dave
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Dave,

You may near to file ticket so support can help you, as this post is not very clear. The feature works, but you are confused by the properties panel. We you select 10-bit you always get 10-bit, ignore properties panels then are not reporting correctly, the file size has grown and the quality even more excellent. Note: Medium 10-bit seems like a weird combination, but it also works fine.

I just tested a 1440x1080 M2T and converted it to 1920x1080 10-bit AVI (yes the Premiere properties falsely say 8-bit, that little bug we will addressed one of these days.)
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Major Player

David, yep, I did this a few days ago and it worked fine. But now, it does not. The file specs show 1440x1080 if file manager, etc. I have not even looked at it in premiere yet. The medium quality is what it was set at. I just changed to high and file grew to 145 meg, but file manager still says 1440x1080. Hard for me to believe what is going on also since again, it worked fine. Going to try one more thing before I file a ticket since maybe somehow with an update or something, some bits got tweaked.

So, I am not saying it never worked. It just has stopped working correctly.

Dont I just run into the weirdest stuff. :o)

Dave
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Have you set the "Resize Video:" field to 1920x1080?
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #9
Major Player

THANK YOU!!!! I cant tell you now many times I looked at that screen.

So, does one need to unclick the box that says keep source aspect ratio?

Again, thanks!!!! I knew I had changed something, but getting older. :o(

Dave
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The aspect ratio box is only for scaling SD to HD as all HD is 16x9.
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Again thanks, you guys, (and gals) are the greatest. By far the best customer support of ANY company I work with!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase