Question-Convert RGB to Cineform/BMD HDMI? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1

Question-Convert RGB to Cineform/BMD HDMI?

The new Blackmagic Intensity card looks like the right pricepoint to me. Combined with Cineform's HDLink at 4:2:2 for capture looks really attractive.
I shoot with a JVC HD110 that outputs component RGB(YPrPb analog) at 720p. HDMI is really a variant of DVI, which takes either analog or digital input. I have a cable converter that converts from RGB analog to DVI, then another converter that will go from DVI to HDMI. Since there is no A-D conversion in the cable, my question is whether the Intensity card will take the analog input. There is another converter box on the market from TVONE, that will scale/convert analog RGB to digital HDMI. It will also upscale to HDMI format size. Am I correct in assuming that this is what's needed to input the native RGB from the HD110 to the Intensity card?

Edit: Looking at the Intensity specs, it seems it will only accept 1080i or 720p 50/60 input.....i.e. no 24/25/30p. Is that correct?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Intensity currently only supports digital YPrPb 4:2:2. You will need a device that converts your YPrPb analog 720p50/60 to HDMI digital. Note: the capture adds pulldown so that 24p/25p/30p appears on 50p/60p, CineForm already can extract the pulldown back to the original signal. You can do this today with CineForm Prospect HD Ingest and a AJA Xena LH/e card. Yes it is more pricy but is it 10-bit and includes a standard master format HDSDI (no one is mastering over HDMI (yet).)
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3

thanks, David...that helps my understanding alot. I was looking for a more cost effective approach than the Xena LH/e. I'm currently editting with Vegas7, so 10 bit is academic until Sony moves to 10 bit processing.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase