Z1U -> Component -> HDMI -> Intensity -> Cineform??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Z1U -> Component -> HDMI -> Intensity -> Cineform???

With the new Intensity card, is there a way to convert component out from a Z1U to HDMI so you could capture uncompressed into the Intensity card using Cineform?

Just a thought. I like the option of having uncompressed video for compositing, especially green screen work.

Thanks,

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Not that I know off. However, you should look at a AJA XEna LHe card instead, that is analog/HDSDI card, no need to convert to HDMI.
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3569

The question is if you used something like this, would it work? This would be a great method for those of us with first generation HDV cameras that don't have HDMI to bypass the compression.
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Converting to HDMI externally will not bypass the compression, unless you have an output from the camera that does so already. If that is the case, then why add a component and conversion?
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Major Player

David,

The system requirements for the AJA card are too expensive for what I'm doing right now. I'd have to build a new system, which is why I was liking the Intensity setup.

Taking a look at a product like this: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3569

And since the Z1U's component out is uncompressed, IF that box actually does convert from Component to HDMI well, is there a reason it wouldn't work?

Thanks,

Jim
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, that Component Audio to HDMI Adapter from Gefen will likely work as long as it using digital YPrPb 4:2:2 over HMDI (not 4:4:4 or RGB which Intensity doesn't support.) Anyone care to send us a sample so we can confirm if it works?
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Just spoke with Gefen, and it outputs 4:4:4 RGB so that's not going to work.

Just trying to avoid purchasing another camera if I don't have to.
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt
Just spoke with Gefen, and it outputs 4:4:4 RGB so that's not going to work.

Just trying to avoid purchasing another camera if I don't have to.
Are you sure you asked the right question. There is are two DIP switches that configure the unit for YPrPb (just not sure if it is 4:2:2) -- it is in the manual. I was disappoint to find it can't convert analog RGB to YPrPb HDMI, but if your source is YPrPb you should be OK. Please try Gefen again.
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi David,

Just emailed Gefen tech support (I called the first time). In my email, this is what i asked them:

"If I feed the adapter a YPbPr 4:2:2 1080i component signal, will it output a YPbPr 4:2:2 1080i HDMI signal once converted?"

Is this correct? I'll post once I hear back.

Jim
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen
Converting to HDMI externally will not bypass the compression, unless you have an output from the camera that does so already. If that is the case, then why add a component and conversion?
The component outputs of the Sony z1 and FX1 do bypass the compression, that's the whole point here.
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
The component outputs of the Sony z1 and FX1 do bypass the compression, that's the whole point here.
The second point still stands... what is to be gained by a conversion process as opposed to simply utilizing the component connection? The analogy, albeit a poor one.... converting a composite video signal to say, S-Video, does not improve the video. You are not going to improve the source.

My point is moot if component input is unavailable in your particular configuration, then what you end up doing is a configuration solution.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Major Player

David,

Here is what Gefen says:

"Our devices change absolutely nothing in the signal. What goes in is what comes out, unless documented otherwise."

I'm willing to buy one and send it to you if you want to test it out.

Jim
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Marty,

It comes down to the cost of acquisition. To obtain uncompressed footage from my Z1U, I would have to invest in more expensive hardware. The Intensity card is retailing for $249 which is a lot less than buying a new graphics card and capture card. For the price of one piece of hardware, I can buy both the card and the converter and have uncompressed capture.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's how I see it.

Jim
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #14
Regular Crew

That's exactly the way I see it too. Thanks for investigating the issue James.
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt
Marty,

It comes down to the cost of acquisition. To obtain uncompressed footage from my Z1U, I would have to invest in more expensive hardware. The Intensity card is retailing for $249 which is a lot less than buying a new graphics card and capture card. For the price of one piece of hardware, I can buy both the card and the converter and have uncompressed capture.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's how I see it.

Jim
Unfortunately, unless you have a fast Core 2 Duo system, you will still have to purchase a new computer. The resources necessary to capture and store this information are beyond the capabilities of most PCs out there.

Cineform's software will reduce the hard disk requirements but you will still need a fast dual core processor and some fast hard drives to keep up with the huge stream of uncompressed data (1.6 Gbps) that comes out of the HDMI port without dropping frames.

See Cineform's site at http://cineform.com/products/TechNot.../Intensity.htm for some preliminary system requirements for capturing data from the Intensity card with the Beta version of their software.

Also visit BlackMagic's site at http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity to understand the magnitude of the problem you are attempting to solve before you jump in. This will also help you understand why Cineform's software is so essential unless you have a few spare terabytes of RAID storage hanging off the back of your PC.

Even though the Intensity card is inexpensive, that's only the tip of the iceberg. The additional hardware, software, and cabling necessary to get the job done is a major expense.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase