DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Cineform files to Flash or Quicktime pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/87050-cineform-files-flash-quicktime-pro.html)

Stephen Lewis February 20th, 2007 03:03 PM

Cineform files to Flash or Quicktime pro?

Hello everyone.

I haven't posted before because i really try to figure out everything on my own without having to trouble anyone. But I am stumped. I keep seeing these amazing 480p or 720p videos on the web, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my HD cineform files down to the size that everyone else does. I am staying at over 1MB/sec on my 480 stuff because I am using the H264 codec through adobe media encoder. If i try to import the cineform file directly into Quicktime Pro or Sorenson or any of them they simply crash.

I know I MUST be missing something. Is there anyone out there who can help? Thank you so much.

David Newman February 20th, 2007 03:56 PM

Sorenson had a bug that they fixed to support CineForm AVI, so try the latest update from Sorenson.

Marty Baggen February 21st, 2007 08:22 PM

Quicktime compatibility

David,

what's the prognosis for Quicktime compatibility with Aspect?

David Newman February 21st, 2007 10:28 PM

I've never tested it. There is no reason for it not to work, after all bascially everything else does. If it is a Quicktime Pro issue we can't fix that for Apple.

Marty Baggen February 22nd, 2007 04:29 PM

Quicktime should be able to view Cineform AVI?

Not the case here.... Quicktime player locks up.

Dearl Golden February 22nd, 2007 06:05 PM

Doesn't work for me either. I posted a question at the Cineform site, but no replies to it.

David Newman February 22nd, 2007 07:02 PM

I just tried it, QT Player does bog down a lot, but that is not us, it locked up my PC with uncompressed YUY2 files, then with uncompressed RGB files (although if a waited long enough RGB works), it locked up (and showed black) with HUFFYUV AVIs and YET it worked fine with CineForm AVIs. So do some more testing guys, you will find the issue is the QuickTime Player, and that we work fine.

This was tested with QuickTime Player 7.1.3 and QuickTime Pro. Jake our head support guy has also confirmed that are no issues with CineForm compatibility with QuickTime. We tested on three difference PCs, all very different, all worked fine.

Dearl Golden February 22nd, 2007 10:59 PM

I tried again this evening.....results are....

1. Exported from PPro2 using settings as recommended on the Cineform site for "Maintaining Best Image Quality When Exporting To DVD"

2. Opened resulting avi in QTPro....QT Locked Up

3. Opened again, and file loaded, but only played audio.

I'm only trying to use QT to export to m4v for IPOD.

David Newman February 23rd, 2007 12:25 AM

As my tests showed CineForm files were one of the few AVIs that worked in Quicktime Player, you might what to experiment as maybe no AVIs work with your QT install. At the moment the fault seems all QuickTime, so maybe Apple needs a bug report. If there is anything CineForm can, do I'm going to need more proof that shows that Quicktime Pro doesn't just have a very poor AVI implementation, which is something we can't fix for Apple. In my test CineForm AVI and uncompressed RGB AVI both worked, so you are have trouble try uncompressed, if that fails, please call Apple. :)

Richard Leadbetter February 23rd, 2007 06:35 AM

I've always had to convert to 24-bit RGB uncompressed AVI in order to open the AVIs in Quicktime Pro (which has always locked up for me with native CineForms). But it seemed to me that it didn't use any of Windows' own VFW or DirectShow pathways for rendering files, sticking to its own internal decoders.

Has this changed on the latest Quicktime Pro? I will admit that I've not touched it for a long time.

Herman Van Deventer February 23rd, 2007 06:24 PM

Cineform Quiktime

I Convert all my Prospect HD avi files with Mpeg Streamclip Freeware for
windows and mac / Export to Quiktime with custom frame templates and
all the popular codecs / Mpeg 4 / AVI etc /

Easy to use / Satifying results coming from Prospect avi.

Peace / Herman

Marty Baggen February 23rd, 2007 08:38 PM

Apparently my Quicktime Pro installation is not in the mood for AVI of any flavor, and I am not inspired enough to tackle the reasons why, so I have been content to render uncompressed Quicktimes from Premiere, then exporting from Quicktime Pro to other QT codecs such as H264, or Sorenson. Why?... To my eye, nothing exports a better MOV than Quicktime itself, and the presets are straightforward. The Quicktime exports from Premiere are positively wretched.... It could be operator error, but why fight it when great results are easily attainable with QT Pro.

As an aside, shouldn't Quicktime's Player be able to open an M2T file? Mine doesn't, even after a fresh install