24p sluggish playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24p sluggish playback

Hey guys,

Ive been doing a lot of test with 30p video and 24p video. I have been shooting 60i, then transferring to either 30p (de-interlacing) or transferring to 24p (Using Cineform). The results on these both look very good, I don't see much video quality loss at all.

The thing is that the 30p video is a little too fast. The 24p video (at least the cineform files made after the transfer) plays very smooth, and it has the feel of 24 frames which I very much like.

Once I bring these 24fps clips into premiere 1.5.1 using the cineform 1440x1080 24p project settings...everything looks fine in editing, but when exporting the video plays a bit stuttery. I will post up some examples of the 30p video and sample of the 24p video, as well as the original cineform file before editing, and you'll be able to see the difference.

If you guys have any ideas why it has this slight stutter, please let me know, it seems that it shouldn't considering the original files that cineform gives me (that are 24p) do not stutter, so im not sure whats going on here.

24 Frames original Cineform file (Smooth): http://www.everchangingproductions.c...01-003-011.avi

24 Frames Edited File (Stutter):
http://www.everchangingproductions.c...o/test24p5.avi

30 Frames Edited File (Smooth, too fast):
http://www.everchangingproductions.c...30ptestcar.avi
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You original file is created incorrectly. You used the 3-2 pulldown mode alone which is designed for 24p sources, currently you have a pseudo 48i. As you are using 60i source you can stack the 3-2 pulldown and the deinterlacing filter to get a CineFrame 24 like operation (it is a little better then CF24 on the Sony Z1.) It works best if the camera shutter is at 1/60 second. From there your 24p outputs will look better. For 30p your need to turn the 3-2 pulldown mode off and just deinterlace during capture/conversion.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For 30p, that is exactly how I was able to get it, I did use 1/60 shutter speed, and I turned the 3:2 pulldown off when using cineform. I tried a 30p to 24p conversion using premiere by exporting in 24 frames from a 30 frame timeline, but it had the same results.

I cant think of any other way to get 24p from Cineform besides checking the remove 3:2 pulldown mode. Ive tried everything, and nothing gives me 24p.

Can you post some sort of explanation or guide of how to transform my 60i to 24, because I really am liking the 24 frames a lot better then 30.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

To get 24 from 60i. Turn on 3-2 pulldown AND deinterlace (this is the step you forgot.) Never try to export 30p to 24p, as that will look bad.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If by turn it on, you mean don't check the box marked: Remove 3:2 Pulldown (CF 24 mode), ive tried that, and it doesn't come out to be 24p, its still 29.97 frames.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Somehow you no quite reading my messages. So here it is again:

This will convert 60i to 24p.
Check boxes :
On - Removal 3-2 Pulldown ... (put a tick in the box.)
On - De-interlace 1080i ... (put a tick in the box.)
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Oh, I thought you were saying the opposite of that...whats funny is that, thats exactly what ive been doing to get 24p...Those are the same exact settings ive already done...and it gives me 24p, but like I said the output file in premiere is sluggish...so im not sure whats going on here...the original file from Cineform that I posted, is with the 3:2 Pulldown Checked and with the De-Interlaced box checked.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

These are the settings Ive been using:
Attached Thumbnails
24p sluggish playback-cineform.jpg  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is what you think you did but the first clip you posted is still interlaced (you forgot to deinterlace on that clip) that is why you are having problems. For more details please file a trouble ticket with support.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

One quick question regarding the De-Interlace feature...should i have this checked before capturing my footage, or does it only need to be checked when im converting my footage?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you are trying to convert 60i to 24p it might be on when the AVI is created, capture or conversion.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

When I captured the footage (I don't convert to AVI during this stage...only m2t file). I did not have the de-interlace checked, this I guess could be the source of the problems..but I know for a fact, afterwards, Ive always had the de-interlace checked...and I found it weird, because when I play the clip back you can see the interlaced lines...thats why I was always having problems with this, because I couldn't understand why it was still interlaced even though I had that checked.

But maybe having it checked while capturing...then again having it checked while converting might work better...
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is not the way it works; M2T files are untouched. I just re-tested a 1080i60 clip to 24p and it works fine -- no interlacing 24p output. So unless you are not using recent software, please contact support as I've run out of ideas.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase