DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Support for Nvidia 8800 series? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/94164-support-nvidia-8800-series.html)

Marty Hudzik May 15th, 2007 10:15 PM

Support for Nvidia 8800 series?

I just got a new 8800 GTS card for my editing PC knowing that Nvidia has a very good track record with overlay onto a 2nd monitor. HOwever, the new control panel seems to have removed any video overlay options. Can anyone verify if this is working with the new NVidia? I am relying on this feature to be able to preview out to my HDTV using cineform. Hopefully it is still available.

THanks.

David Newman May 15th, 2007 10:20 PM

We haven't removed any options -- file a trouble ticket to see where your control panel has gone.

Marty Hudzik May 15th, 2007 10:47 PM

I appreciate the fast response. But what I am really asking is if the 8800 is compatible with Aspect HD using overlay. All of the CIneform tools are still there. Nothing seems wrong with Cineform. However there seems to be no way to assign an extra monitor to display overlay with the new Nvidia tools set thus making my Cineform workflow not possible. In addition the video plays with some kind of interlace problem on the main monitor. There seems to be a sync problem and it looks like every other frame is offset horizontally left/right. It just looks bad. I am hearing grumbling on the internet about bad driver support for the 8800 series.

I do not think this is a Cineform issue. But I was hoping someone else could comment if they are using an 8800 series Nvidia and having problems or not.

I have had great luck with Nvidia cards because there ease of configuring the overlay. But I think they may have removed this feature.....and that would be bad!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 680223)
We haven't removed any options -- file a trouble ticket to see where your control panel has gone.

Marty Hudzik May 16th, 2007 09:32 AM

Digging through a .pdf file that documents the new Nvidia control panels I found images that show "full screen video" options and overlay. However the following excerpt is a killer.

Full-Screen Video mirror-------- Modify Full_screen video options-----

Not available with WIndows Vista
Not available with GeForce 8 Series GPU or later.

So there you have it. Apparently the output to a second monitor feature of Cineform is not going to work as it relies on the video card to do this. With the 8800 Series no longer supporting it, I would stay away from them. So I guess I am sending mine back.

Perhaps if there was a way the Cineform could write there application to display on 2nd monitor without using overlay this card would be and option.
When using an HDV preset in Premiere there is an option to set full screen preview to any one of you attached displays directly. But when using the Cineform presets this option is gone and replace by the Cineform playback options.

To be clear, even when setting Cineform option to "enable overlay" nothing gets sent to the 2nd monitor as Nvidia has apparently abandoned this feature in the 8800 series and beyond.

Bummer.

Don Blish May 16th, 2007 01:15 PM

Vista overlay support

I have a new XPS M1710 Blu-Ray and Vista notebook with the Nvidia 7950 GTXchip...and there is no Vista driver at all yet, so overlay is not possible on the component HDTV out port. This isn't to say that Nvidia won't provide such drivers for currently shipping chips soon [hope, hope].

[Production Studio 1/PremPro2 works and captures fine. Haven't tried Aspect HD 4.x yet though.]

Marty Hudzik May 16th, 2007 02:43 PM

I am returning the 8800 GTS and getting a 7950 GT instead. I need the actual working overlay far more than I need the extra 3d horsepower. It's a shame really. My 8800 card is made by EVGA and it clearly sayson their website FAQ that the 8800 hardware does not support this feature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Blish (Post 680604)
I have a new XPS M1710 Blu-Ray and Vista notebook with the Nvidia 7950 GTXchip...and there is no Vista driver at all yet, so overlay is not possible on the component HDTV out port. This isn't to say that Nvidia won't provide such drivers for currently shipping chips soon [hope, hope].

[Production Studio 1/PremPro2 works and captures fine. Haven't tried Aspect HD 4.x yet though.]

Frank Pitsikalis May 16th, 2007 03:24 PM

NVIDIA 8800 playback

I upgraded my x64 workstation from Aspect 3.4 to 4.x and had similar playback issues that could not be resolved by Cineform support.

Now that you mention the NVIDIA 8800 issue I wonder if my video card was the problem with Cineform. It did playback fine with AHD3.x though.

I don't think I'll ever know as I bought a new quad-core workstation as I couldn't wait any longer to get the issue resolved.

David...I would definitely give that tidbit to the cineform support team...could be a quick check for similar playback issues...

Carl Middleton October 4th, 2007 05:06 PM

I've posted about a possible workaround here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...d=1#post754504

Enjoy!

Carl

Robert Young October 5th, 2007 11:52 AM

This is not a Cineform issue. The 8800 series indeed has the video overlay function disabled at the CPU level.
Apparently this card is really designed for gamers, not for graphics/video editors. I had to replace mine with a Quatro 1500.

Peter Ferling October 5th, 2007 12:14 PM

Agree. Go with a quadroFX. For XP, you can use an earlier driver that uses the old control panel.

Carl Middleton October 6th, 2007 10:24 AM

Yup, not a Cineform issue, but for those of us who already bought one, it's handy to know that you can cheat it, and get the overlay to work. :) I knew from before I bought Cineform that it was going to be a problem, I hadn't read anything good about video overlay and the 8800... I still don't understand why they disabled it, I'm just glad there's a way to re-enable it, hidden and buried in the menus or not. :)

C

Marty Hudzik October 6th, 2007 12:20 PM

Darn! If only I had known about this workaround earlier. I have been using the 7959 for about 5 months and don't really need the 8800 for anything but when you budget for a new PC you like to put the latest and greatest in there. Especially bacuse at the time I could get the 8800 and the 7950 for the same price....almost.

Peace!

Eric Smith November 3rd, 2007 12:30 PM

Hey Carl, Been trying this work around of yours. No luck may I trouble you?

I have tried it in dual view and clone modes. I go in to desktop/zoom. and select "enable zoom or video play back. " I hit the (full screen zoom) but non of the options work that way.

Video out works just not with the old overlay style. Do you have a screen shot walk through possibly?

Carl Middleton November 3rd, 2007 01:10 PM

Sorry, and I'm on the way out the door. Shoot me an e-mail (you can do that right through this system) and remind me, I'll get you one!

C

Marty Hudzik November 14th, 2007 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Middleton (Post 769649)
Sorry, and I'm on the way out the door. Shoot me an e-mail (you can do that right through this system) and remind me, I'll get you one!

C

Can someone post the exact steps to get this to work? I may be in the market for an 8800 series card and really want it to work with overlay using Cineform but I don't want to chance that it won't.

Thanks