Questions from a new user at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Questions from a new user

I've just started really using Cineform - I have NEOHDV with Sony Vegas 7.0d.

Couple of questions:

What is it that NEO is doing for me? I'm not being a smart**, I just want to know the technical benefit? Will I see anything differently when editing using NEO?

Would AspectHD work with Vegas and is there any reason to upgrade?

I don't seem to find anything in the way of a manual/user guide. Is there one? If not, why?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Aspect is for ADOBE
Neo is for "others"
neo is making huge files smaller for you to work with, with better bit depth, in a " visually lossless format"
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I don't seem to find anything in the way of a manual/user guide. Is there one? If not, why?

Thanks
Sometimes as a small company we err on the side of getting new features/performance out in our products, and the manuals sometimes lag. That said, we'll have an update release in the next day or so that also has ... drum roll please ... a new manual for NEO.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #4
Trustee

David, can you enlighten me as to just what Neo (and I assume all Cineform products) are doing that makes editing easier or faster. Honestly, I bought your product because the people here all recommend it. I really have no idea what it's actually doing.

It's my understanding that a CF encoded file is actually larger in size than an AVI capture, so I find the concept confusing.

Thanks. BTW, I've never seen a company provide support and its exectutives be as candid as you are. That certainly influenced my purchase decision.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Paul,

Our files are definitely bigger than highly-compressed long-GOP MPEG. One way to think about it is that with MPEG files there is no "headroom" remaining to "move" the image in post. Our larger files are compressed less, allowing much more headroom for a multi-generation post workflow. We prefer to compare ourselves against uncompressed files from a visual fidelity standpoint and the ability to manipulate the images.

Now, when you start from MPEG - i.e., convert to CineForm from a tape capture, we don't add fidelity upon conversion (you can't create something that wasn't there in the first place), but we prepare the image for your post workflow. We recreate 4:2:2 images (from MPEGs 4:2:0), we add headroom (our larger files), we eliminate the long-GOP nature of MPEG making editing much easier, our format is light on the CPU allowing many streams of playback and reduced rendering, and if you're a NEO HD or 2K customer we extend source precision from 8 bits to 10 (or 12) bits. This is also about increased post precision. Think of going from 8 bits to 10 bits as going from pi = 3.14 to 3.1416. The more manipulation you do of "pi" the more important the extra precision is.

Then of course we have myriad conversion features including telecine removal for 24p material allowing a 24p editing workflow, spatial resampling, etc. If you're dealing with material from multiple cameras this ability to convert all sources into a common compressed Digital Intermediate is very useful.

At the end of the day it's about improved visual fidelity of your finished product, more flexibility, and doing so with less rendering. Regarding visual fidelity, check out the many different quality analyses we've posted on our website: http://www.cineform.com/technology/quality.htm.

I hope this helps....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks David. Be sure to put that explanation in your new manual and any sales literature.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Major Player

To me, the most important thing Neo adds to the Vegas workflow is one you didn't mention: smart-rendering. Vegas will smart-render Cineform codec clips. What that means is that in a Cineform based project, Vegas will render all the transitions, titles, etc, but all those long stretches of video where nothing has changed will be simply file copied into the final Cineform render. This is called smart-rendering and not only does it save a generation of quality for any part that is smart-rendered, but it also is WAY QUICKER! A smart-rendered project will render in maybe one twentieth of the time of a non-smart-rendered project. For me, this is probably the main reason I'm using Cineform. Just make sure you check that little "enable smart-renders in Vegas" tab in your HDlink preferences before you capture.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase