Does Vista work yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does Vista work yet?

Hi

Just curious if the Vista problem has been fixed yet (can run AspectHD with Vista).

thanks
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Vista support is in beta. Please give the latest version it a try.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi David,
I've been happily using AHD4 on my XP desktop with Matrox Parhelia APVe card. I recently purchased a Vista notebook, Dell M1710 (Nvidia 7950 GTX) in order to do some standard definition captures out of town. It has DVI and component HDTV out, separately. My question has to do with the "overlay surface". I read Vista comandeered that construct to do its (pointless to me) Aero interface. Have you found a way around this? More to the point, what driver feature updates should I look for that might make it possible to get a preview screen to work on this machine.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes you are correct, Vista and overlay don't mix. We haven't produced a solution for this yet.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Personally, I find the translucent window edges of the Vista Aero interface distracting. I imagine other PPro/Cineform and/or Matrox users would happily turn off the feature, such as this post.......

http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2007/04/how...e-windows.html

Could that allow the video editing community to "reclaim" the "overlay surface"?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Might do, but I haven't tried.
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Yes you are correct, Vista and overlay don't mix. We haven't produced a solution for this yet.
I may be misinterpreting what "overlay" we are talking about, but if it's the ability to play PPro's Program window on a second display then --

PPro will play Adobe HDV and other Adobe project types on a second monitor under my Vista system. However, Cinform project types will not so play -- all you get is a window where you can select "overlay" but not change anything.

Anyway, if we're talking about the same thing, then it can't be a Vista restriction because PPro (2.0) can do it as long as it is not a Cineform type project.
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, I am talking about the ability to play ther monitor window only on a second monitor..... What video card are you using on your Vista machine?
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Blish View Post
Yes, I am talking about the ability to play ther monitor window only on a second monitor..... What video card are you using on your Vista machine?
I'm using an NVidia 7600 GT, but I doubt a specific model is the reason. Have you tried creating an Adobe HDV project, importing anything into it, and then setting the Output (3 balls) Playback Settings from the program window to your second monitor?
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Major Player

I can't really test this yet. My Vista machine is a Dell M1710 notebook with the Nvidia 7950GTX chip for which there are no stable drivers yet that properly handle second monitors. If I connect one of my panels to the component HD outputs, the notebook resolution drops from 1200x1920 all the way down to 1024x1280. Getting Cineform or PPro external preview monitor to work here is on my "eventually" to-do list. [I have PPro on it just to capture SD material from friends and family out of town and that works just fine].
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:51 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Possible Vista Bus?

David,

Maybe a Vista Bug in 5.01-83?

I'm getting tons of "COM Surrogate" errors whenever I go into a folder that has Cineform AVIs.

I have tried many many other things mentioned on the web to see if it is another program but after many hours I think it's the coneform codec causing the problem.

IF I just turn off thumbnails, the problem goes away.

Past that, I haven't seen other Vista issues yet.

Stacy
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Stacy,

Thank you for the report. The "COM Surrogate" error is related to component we have licensed that is also undergoing Vista upgrades. We expect that to be under control within a few weeks. Yes, turning off the thumbnail view prevents the error.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #13
New Boot

Aspect 5-Vista 64bit PPro 2 timeline playback problem

I seem to be getting random playback problems from the PPro 2 timeline when using Aspect 5 on Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

The timeline playback cursor will jump to the end of the clips in the timeline and there is no way to get a normal playback. This occurs after making just a few edits. Other times nothing will play from the timeline.

The problem doesn't occur when PPro 2 is not set to capture with Aspect, even though PPro 2 in HDV capture mode recognizes Cineform captures.

Sometimes the problem goes away when I restart PPro 2, but not always.

I'm using a Dell Precision 690, Duel Core Intel Xeon 5060, 3.2 Ghz processor, 4 megs Ram, NVideo Quatro FX3450 graphics card viewing thru a DVI connection on a Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what might be causing this.

Thanks,

David
David Dyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Likely not a Vista issue, please file a trouble ticket.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:34 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dyar View Post
I seem to be getting random playback problems from the PPro 2 timeline when using Aspect 5 on Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

The timeline playback cursor will jump to the end of the clips in the timeline and there is no way to get a normal playback. This occurs after making just a few edits. Other times nothing will play from the timeline.

The problem doesn't occur when PPro 2 is not set to capture with Aspect, even though PPro 2 in HDV capture mode recognizes Cineform captures.

Sometimes the problem goes away when I restart PPro 2, but not always.

I'm using a Dell Precision 690, Duel Core Intel Xeon 5060, 3.2 Ghz processor, 4 megs Ram, NVideo Quatro FX3450 graphics card viewing thru a DVI connection on a Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what might be causing this.

Thanks,

David
I have had the same problem under AspectHD 4, PPro 2 and Vista Home Premium (32-bit). My workaround, like restart not 100%, was to delete the Media Cache Files folder. Haven't checked whether it only occurs in Cineform projects, since all my project editing is done in Cineform HDV mode. I'll check next time whether importing my project into an Adobe HDV project will fix the problem. If so, I'll submit a trouble ticket.

Cineform does mess with timeline playback (Output/Playback Settings), so logic tells me it could be a Cineform problem.
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase