DVD Audio Distortion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD Audio Distortion

I'm getting distorted audio in my DVD output from Encore 2.
I know the problem happens way down stream from the original Cineform file, but I thought I'd ask since I've never had this problem before.
Footage = JVC HD 100
Codex = Cinform Aspect HD 5, latest build.
NLE = PPRO 2

Workflow:
PPro2 output to full res high quality Cineform avi. Audio good.
HD Link down res to SD Letterbox. Audio good.
Import to Encore as Timeline. Preview Audio good.
Transcode to High Quality VBR Progressive Preset.
Build DVD Project Folder.
Play DVD or VOB and the Audio is distorted (clipping).

The Audio was mastered with no peaks over -0db

Anyone run into this problem?
Thanks for your time,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As CineForm doesn't touch the audio, I'm not sure where the distortion could be happening.
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply.
Must be the audio peaks, or something wrong with Encore.
Will post my findings.
Thanks for your time,
Jon
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jon,
Have you found anywhere where the error is? I have a similar issue and posted the question under DVD forum
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95988

Would love to know if there is a solution. I don't seem to get the error when I go directly from Premiere pro to Encore DVD but well from AE to Encore DVD.

In both cases I use the cineform codec?!
Simon Heymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi,
I didn't find a solution, so I turned down the audio in PPro2 and left it at that. Something is wrong with Encore but since Adobe discourages an easy support method I didn't bother to contact them. My problem was peak distortion. None of my audio was over -3db, but I was getting distortion at that level, I dropped it down to -6db and it was less noticeable, but still there. The distortion is deffinetlly happening when transcoding. All other phases of the work flow produced perfect audio. Anyone know of a Pro DVD encoding application (pc) that I can build menus and transcode quality files? I don't want to buy CS3, ever.
Jon
Old June 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Major Player

You might want to look into DVD-Architect4. I use it and am quite happy with it.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

I have found that different Computer, DVD, and Blu-Ray players vary on how well they deal with clipping. I have taken to make sure the PPro Vu meter never peaks red. For everyday family use, my HDR-HC1 captured audio (built in or zoom/shotgun mic) is actually too hi-fi. I use the dynamics filter to crank in some compression. I use custom setup, ratio 4 or 5, threshold about -16db, zero makeup. Older cams like Hi8 and little digicam .mov files never seem to need this. I occasionally use a hi cut/low pass of about 8Khz to cut environmental background so voice is better. I will also use a low cut/hi pass of about 140Hz to cut wind noise that gets past the foam mit on Sony the zoom/shotgun mic. All this makes a big difference.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the good info Don. On this particular project I was supplied with a wav file that read -3 peaks in Audition when I converted it from 44 to 48.
So I'm pretty sure the source was clean??!! Also it's only the vob file that I can hear the distortion on. Playing the vob with WinMediaPlayer or burning to DVD and playing makes no difference. But the CFHD avi and SD down res avi files sound great. I will be burning some different projects soon so I hope to get to the bottom of this then.
Thanks again,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase