Aspect v5.01 gives me a reddish colour in previews and exports at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Aspect v5.01 gives me a reddish colour in previews and exports

I work with a dual core opteron, 2Gb ram, Nvidia FX1500 video edition graphic card and Premiere Pro 2.0. Im capturing through Premiere my first Cineform project.

Im very dissapointed... the previews and exports have a different colour (red cast) and gamma than the correct image i see on the lcd, and what the monitor shows when paused or while scrubbing the timeline. If i watch the clips outside Premiere they also look correct.

Also the sound has some problems, a hum appears when i hit play, and sometimes no sound at all... but the other issue is the one that worries me more

Ive posted a ticket to Cineform.

Please Cineform, seems that im not the only one with this problem... some help or solution needed urgently (i have to edit a full documentary in the next days!)
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You have an NVidia card, there are instructions in the readme for setting it up. The video shift you are seeing is a video card setup issue. Set the buffers to minimum in the playback settings to help your preview audio.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the answer but is not working well

A relief that youve answered so quickly, nice from you. But i followed your instructions and im still dissapointed.

The image now appears completely washed and without contrast. Also inacceptable, i want the see the original image i recorded!! Existing so many Nvidia graphic card users of Cineform, this situation of tweaking the control panel to find the correct image is quite annoying.

The sound: keeps doing the hum and dissapearing sometimes. No change at all.

What i think, honestly: your product has some real good things but its still a bit beta.

I need some solution. I paid for some specific results, not having them still. As a customer i expect some technician/engineer helping me personally. You have my personal data in your database, so please contact me as soon as possible. Thanks.

Anyway i have my part of the thing: i should have checked better during the trial period (but half of it i was in Africa filmming the documentary i have to edit now... life)
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

after an hour or so of teawking the Nvidia control panel i finally almost matched the YUV with the RGB image... not exactly the same but similar, i can live with that (

but i would expect some better result with this soft. especially thinking is almost half the price of final cut studio 2...
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I wish more people would send these complaints to NVidia, we understand that we will have to code around their error at some point, other more usualful tasks that have high priority. To prove it has nothing to do with CineForm, open to a single HD video clip (any type) with two different video players at the same time, the same clip will look different on the two outputs. Why? Nvidia messes up the YUV to RGB conversion for the player that get the overlay (which there is only one.) Matrox get this correct, and sometimes ATI get this right.
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Major Player

I have suffered through the Nvidia problem for a while. It is a problem but it has a simple solution. Sure, we all want everything to work perfect right out of the box, but computers don't seem to work that way.....
Anyway, I use Ntune, a desktop app for all your Nvidia hardware/software.
I open the Ntune and then select the video color adjustment screen. I adjust the bightness and other controls till my paused video looks like my preview/playback video(I can get it damn close). I never close the Ntune app, as long as it's open and running I get a pretty much perfect match. So I have found the key is to leave the app running since for some reason if I close the app I loose my video card adjustments. A big hassle, yes, but not Cineforms fault, just sh*ty video cards/software. My ati card in my laptop doesn't have this problem (whew). I have been waiting to upgrade my computer to get a Matrox card and be done with the color shift for good. Try my solution, it works great, at least on my machine it does.......
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks both for your answers. I thought Nvidia was a good brand for video cards (and its even a suggested card in the Cineformīs site, along with the Matrox Parhelia...)

Anyway David i think you should code around this error as soon as possible. Users with problems (quite a few as you can read in Cineforms forum site) tell you the point in time is now. I wont change my video card presently and i want to work flawlessly, thats why i bought Cineform.

Thanks again for the words of a Cineformīs representative, thats very valuable. But i expect some serious correction to this issue soon. I thinks its my right as a customer.
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Hernan,

Please send your complaint to NVidia also, it is you right as a customer of their's to have correct YUV to RGB conversion. While we might be able to hack around an NVidia issue, we know NVidia could add a check box called "use profession video levels" far quicker than the work we would need to do. Output levels are correct, as all our AJA Xena customers know. We have a lot of work to do, this one is on our list with priority set propriately.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

David,

I´ve already done that, of course. And youre right that Nvidia should also work on this issue. But i trust Cineform´s customer service much more than theirs... u re stll a small company and u´ve proved to care a lot about the problems that your software (more expensive than the Nvidia card) still has. And thats very good for us.

So again, i trust that you will take the responsability of satisfying many customers that are complaining about the same issue i am (anyone with an Nvidia card just check the forum at Cineform´s site).

And as u´ve said many times, we needn´t buy a card that costs around 1000$ to decently edit HDV. Thats why we people are buyng Cineform. So, we expect the results for what we pay, as soon as we pay.

I think this its totally fair.
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernan Vilchez View Post
A relief that youve answered so quickly, nice from you. But i followed your instructions and im still dissapointed.

The image now appears completely washed and without contrast. Also inacceptable, i want the see the original image i recorded!! Existing so many Nvidia graphic card users of Cineform, this situation of tweaking the control panel to find the correct image is quite annoying.

The sound: keeps doing the hum and dissapearing sometimes. No change at all.

What i think, honestly: your product has some real good things but its still a bit beta.

I need some solution. I paid for some specific results, not having them still. As a customer i expect some technician/engineer helping me personally. You have my personal data in your database, so please contact me as soon as possible. Thanks.

Anyway i have my part of the thing: i should have checked better during the trial period (but half of it i was in Africa filmming the documentary i have to edit now... life)
I had the same thing and just gave up. I followed the instructions to the letter but ended up having it look worse after correcting it.
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Stacy, had you submitted a ticket to Cineform?
Are you satisfied with the performance of the software in conjunction with your Nvidia card?
Shouldnīt they give us (Cineform/Nvidia) some solution, and we ask firmly for it?
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Stacy, unfortunately NVidia changes the these parameters on ever card version, those numbers where accurate for the FX540, then they vary for each card after that -- drive you and us nuts. Why NVidia wants to do this I have know idea. The one thing NVidia typically does wrong is set the saturation to 114% -- no idea way, but that is a simple fix. While you can request a fix from CineForm, the fault is with NVidia, we are a small company so we will respond to your inquiries, yet our engineering resources are limited. So in the meantime, tweak the video settings until it matches and send complaints to NVidia, please.
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

David,

As i said in my first post, i also have problems with the sound in the previews. Ive made what both Tim and you suggested (tweak the slider for buffering) but no changes... could it be a problem of RAM (i have 2g) / processor (1 opteron 280) / disk reading speed (2 disks of 7200 only for video editing, no RAID yet)?

And related to the RAID, which would you recommend me for 3 disks, 0, 0+1 or 5? (i have a controller in my Tyan Thunder mobo)

Thanks again.
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I don't uderstand the audio issue as much as Premiere is driving the audio not CineForm -- we just tell it when and how fast to play. I have heard sound audio cards pop on startup on some systems, but this goes way after a few frames.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #15
Regular Crew

audio also needs teawking

David,

In order to work i had to modify the buffer size of my m-audio audio card to 1536 samples (much comparing to my previous experience with video editing or audio work). Aspect (through Premiere) is obviously stressing my audio card. Is this a normal behaviour?
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase