DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Premiere Pro Realtime and Quicktime files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/97985-premiere-pro-realtime-quicktime-files.html)

Robert Dolphin July 2nd, 2007 03:28 AM

Premiere Pro Realtime and Quicktime files

I have encoded some of my 720 25p HDV footage using HDLINK with Aspect HD V5 as .mov files. When using Premiere Pro 2.0 and the Cineform presets for 720 25p I get the following behaviour:

Any Cineform AVI files on the timeline play back OK and require no rendering. No red bar on the timeline.
Unrendered files of any other type play as black (normal). Red bar on the timeline.
Any Cineform .mov files fail to play at all. The timecode does not advance. No red bar on the timeline.

It seems the .mov files are recognised as native cineform but won't play.

Is this a bug or are .mov files not supported for realtime playback? Has anyone done this successfully?

David Newman July 2nd, 2007 09:16 AM

It is seems some PC will and some won't, based on other components installed on the PC. We are investigating. A work-around maybe to install Quicktime Alternative (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm) but that should not be required.

Simon Heymans July 4th, 2007 06:44 AM

Hi Robert,
I have the same issue too, I logged a ticket to Cineform. They send me an update of Aspect HD v5 but it still doesn't work.

According to me the issue is linked directly with the .mov files as before I would only capture in .avi and never had any issues :(

Cineform is looking at the issue at the moment.

David Newman July 4th, 2007 09:14 AM

We still recommend people capture and edit with AVIs. If you need MOVs, then use HDLink to rewarp AVI to MOV as needed.

The MOV playback issue in Aspect HD or Premiere Pro, is not strictly a CineForm issue, we find those machine can't find the DirectShow QT file reader/de-mux, even though it is standard to Windows. You should be able to play MOVs in Media Player (using "Open With..") Maybe it is a missing DirectX update or similar.

Simon Heymans July 4th, 2007 10:11 AM

Hi David,
Thanks for the quick feedback! I will check that I have the latest DirectX update on my machine.
However since I captured all my files directly in .mov, do you suggest I should recapture them in .avi?
Both .mov and avi (transferred from mov in HDlink) work perfectly well in other players outside premiere like quicktime player or media player. Also I don;t have any issues in After effects! So only in Adobe premiere pro :(

David Newman July 4th, 2007 10:15 AM

Recapture is not necessary, the MOV can be converted to AVI in HDLink -- it is pretty fast as there is no recompression.

Simon Heymans July 4th, 2007 04:00 PM

Hi David,
What you propose is what I did but I still get many issues. For example I can playback the clip (.avi) on the timeline but I get rolling images when scrubing the same clip on the timeline.
I also have some weird images when doing slow-mo and playing back on the timeline.
Also I can't scrub the clip, images are rolling, when clip in not on the timeline so on the video box on the left side.
I sent a ticket to cineform about this issues!

David Newman July 4th, 2007 04:13 PM

Try recapturing those clips, it seems that the wrapping is missing some key information, as I never seen what you describe.

Simon Heymans July 5th, 2007 01:17 PM

Ok I try to rewrap all the files I had originally captured in .mov but that didn't work. Actually the "wrapping" in Hdlink only worked for 5 video clips than suddently it stopped and nothing happened. I try to redo the rewrap but I didn;t succeed.
Anyhow the first clips I managed to rewrap are again perfectly readable outside premiere pro but within Premiere pro same issues has described before :(.
I will have to manage this way for the time being but I hope cineform can fix the issue soon. Pretty awful to work this way when scrubbing the video!

David Newman July 5th, 2007 01:21 PM

Did you try capture as an AVI? Please test this.

Simon Heymans July 5th, 2007 02:33 PM

Ok so I recaptured my footage in .avi directly. I manage to rename the video clips the same way so I didn;t have to redo my editing, luckily it was a short project! Now it's working! I don;t get any weird issues as I had when I captured directly in .mov.

Maybe I would suggest people not to capture directly in .mov. It could be linked to the camera (JVC HD 111e).? Or maybe was cineform never intended to work that way?

Ps: I will post another issue that I have using the cineform codec with Quicktime in After effects