Cineform's compatibility with Sorenson Squeeze at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform's compatibility with Sorenson Squeeze

I thought I read on here before that Cineform was now fully compatible with the latest Sorenson Squeeze, but I just got off the phone with Sorenson and they said all Cineform files do not work with Squeeze. What's the verdict? I'd like to buy and use both projects, but not sure what the compatibility is between the two. Thanks.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Last I checked Sorenson doesn't work well with any compressed AVIs. It would be nice if they would fixed that. There isn't much we can do as the failure appears on Sorenson's end -- however if we are doing something they don't like, it would be in everyone best interest to tell us.
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey David, Thanks so much for the clarification. Are there any other "high quality" encoders out there that work good with Cineform files? Specifically the encoders that have really nice H.264 with 2-pass VBR?

You mentioned Sorenson doesn't like compressed AVI's... what about the .mov Cineform files.. same thing?
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

TmPGenC works very well with Cineform avi files.
Gildo Houtekamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Gildo,
Thanks for the feedback, yes we like TMPEGEnc.

Deke,
Yes, CineForm MOV work, sorry I should have remembered to tell you that. Sorenson is a QuickTime based application so CineForm MOVs work well.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey David, then it seems that everything will work out just fine with Sorenson Squeeze as long as I use the MOV wrapper, correct? Any other hiccups with Sorenson using the .mov CFHD that I should know about?

Thanks so much for your help too. It's nice to see a representative "out amongst the people" lending a helping hand. Says a lot for Cineform.

Do you guys happen to recommend tmpeng's H.264 over Sorenson's?

Thanks so much again!
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sorry I don't use Sorenson other than trying to debug it. Get the free tiral to test it out.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Deke... I'm a big fan of TMPEGenc as well, but for H.264, I go straight to the source, Quicktime Pro. I have never been able to replicate the data/performance of the presets of QT7 with TMPEGenc or Premiere.

Not being a Sorensen user, I can't make a comparison to Squeeze however.

When I need an H.264 output, or any other .MOV clip, I render an uncompressed .MOV from Premiere, load into Quicktime, then export to the specs I need.

For $30, (Quicktime Pro upgrade), it's hard to go wrong.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Quicktime h.264 is a messy, compromised version of the 'real thing'. I'd personally only use it if the target viewer's only h.264 decoder is the Quicktime Player (which unfortunately is the majority of people on Mac and Windows).

It takes a while to set up properly but the open source x264 encoder with the MeGUI front-end supports many different h.264 profiles (I believe QT doesn't even support high profile), and even has a QT profile which disables many of h.264's features so the streams work in QT player and produces better results than Quicktime Pro. And it's $30 cheaper too!
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Richard... if I follow your post correctly, then there is a more robust and free method of encoding to H.264?

That's good to know, but what I should have made more clear in my comment is that the nice thing about QT7 Pro is the ease of utilizing the presets to produce very good clips.

My need for Quicktime is only to provide clean previews via email or online. I don't want to have to wrestle with all the variables.

What do you mean by messy?
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Major Player

What I mean is that it's h.264 'lite' - a lot of the functionality of the codec has been omitted, maybe to keep the speed up, maybe because the coding isn't very good (certainly there are far, far superior software h.264 decoders available).

But in your situation I'd stick to QT Pro as the learning curve to x264 is quite immense in comparison. The advantage is that you do have access to the full potential of the codec and even when it's emulating Quicktime it'll provide better results than QT Pro when quality truly matters.
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #12
Major Player

I see what you're saying.

Am I correct in that the basis for H.264 is MPEG4, and H.264 is simply a "version" of MPEG4 modeled specifically for Quicktime?
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #13
Major Player

Thread resurrection time!

Have there been any fixes for Squeeze to make it work with CineForm AVIs or is it still MOV only?
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We haven't looked at Sequeeze since. I hope they have fixed the issue. Can you do any testing?
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Major Player

Using v4.5, I appear to be able to import an AVI and play it, but the tool then crashes when you attempt to encode into a final deliverable. CineForm MOVs are absolutely fine though.

This seems to indicate no change from the version discussed earlier. Does any one else have any different news?
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase