AspectHD v5 and CS3 in vista. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey - I thought I might try and wake up this post. I've been searching for a solution, but no dice. Still waiting to hear back from Cineform support.

Here's my story: I've had this problem intermittantly with multiple versions of Premiere and multiple versions of AspectHD. It's always bugged me, but my temp solution was to "juggle" some of the clips around, copy to a new sequence, etc. - nothing that makes any real sense, but sometimes it will let me play back from the timeline.

I've recently installed PPro CS3 and AspectHD 5.05 (on XP) because I will be receiving all of our color-corrected and audio-mixed clips back from guys working with those demo versions. I sent them a trimmed version of the project, and they called to complain that EVERY CLIP AND EVERY SEQUENCE DOES THIS (skipping to the end on "play"). This is a PPro1.5/AHD3.3 project that has been opened and succesfully saved in PProCS3/AHD5.05. I installed the demos here and am having the same problem.

Playing back from the timeline (spacebar) skips to the end of the sequence. Rendering the timeline (enter) skips to the end of the work area. AND playing back a single clip in the preview monitor skips to the end of the out point!

This problem has always existed in some form or other over the past 4 years of editing this documentary. Now it seems that opening it in CS3 has exaserbated it such that in exists in EVERY clip and sequence.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? On a side note - possibly related, possibly not - some clips on the timeline show up as "media offline" even though they are not offline in the project manager window.

I'm wrapping up 4 years of work on a documentary that will finally find an audience - I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. As always, quickly approaching a deadline. Thanks in advance guys.
Will Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

One suggestion, when thing are working, never upgrade software mid-project no matter who the software comes from, Adobe or CineForm. These thread is for a Vista issue that has been fixed, XP is normally pretty solid, so this sounds like you have a bad install, re-install, and if that doesn't work contact support.
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #18
Regular Crew

David,

Yeah, I understand that one should normally avoid upgrading mid-project; however, this is for a documentary that we've been editing for about four years now. Adobe doesn't even support their products for that long, so we'd be screwed even if we did stay in 1.5 (fyi, we started in 1.0 of both Premiere and Aspect, back when it was $1k). And we all know Adobe doesn't issue bug-fixes, or at least they're called the-next-version. So if I had stayed in 1.5 as you suggest, I still have major bugs, they just fall on deaf ears. Quite a catch-22.

The "skips to end" bug has been around in some form since 1.0, always more likely on big timelines, but it's never been as persistent as it is now. The problem is definitely not directly related to Vista, though. I sent an email in to support with my info.

Any thoughts on "media offline" problem anyone? Probably not Cineform related, but I found some posts about it elsewhere, just no solutions. I have a feeling I'm going to be on the phone with Adobe for a while tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Will Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Update: still nothing on the "skips" problem for me, but I've had success in solving the "media offline" problem...

My 1.5 project was imported into a CS3 project. Shows "media offline" on the timeline, but the clip is listed as ONLINE and plays in the source monitor.

For each offline-but-not-really-offline clip, right click and 'reveal in project'. Right click again and use Replace > from Bin. This has sucessfully and permenantly relinked those clips.

Must be something with the project files that loses the connection with some clips on import. Perhaps a thorough inspection of the project XML would reveal the problem. I hope this helps.
Will Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase