AspectHD v5 and CS3 in vista. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 20th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #1
New Boot

AspectHD v5 and CS3 in vista.

I have had this EXACT same issue before, all the way back when windows vista was in beta, and with version 3.x of AspectHD in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and on a completely different computer and the only fix was to revert back to XP.

However I just purchased a new computer with vista pre-installed. I thought "Hey vista has been out a good amount of time now so it should be working great!" I was wrong.

The issue:
After making only a few small edits to ANY footage (including bars and tones) in an AspectHD project, when you hit "play" it simply just skips to the end and doesn't play back your project. This does not happen in any non-aspectHD projects.

This problem has been there for a long amount of time, and it doesn't appear to be an error with my computer, as it happens to both and I have done everything to find that this is absolutley an AspectHD issue.

I want to upgrade to CS3 and the newest version of AspecHD (I currently own 3.4, and was on a trial for 5.0)

Anyone know of a fix? I am a long time AspectHD user and I feel like I have been ignored by cineform about this issue. Thanks
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Same here

If I start a new project it sometimes fixes it for a while. I have Vista and recently bought Aspect and the CS3 suite upgrade.

David, will there be an update coming soon to address this and the other Vista issues?

Mike
Michael DAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Normally we can find the cause, but you will need to go through support. Sometimes is it simple as reducing to number of buffers used for playback (in the Playback settings control.)
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes there are always builds in the works, but the only Vista issues now are the COM Surgate errors with thumbnail view in windows explorer.
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks David, I will try the playback buffer idea.
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

No success changing the settings. Brought it down to min. I will try to call when I can, but if anyone knows the solution, please post it here.

Mike
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ticket opened.

But while waiting on that...
I wonder if this has to do with having both Premiere 2.0 and Premiere CS3 on my machine. I say this because if I uninstall Aspect, then uninstall PP 2.0, I get an error reinstalling Aspect -- something to do with the Premiere Plugins not registering. My only way out of that problem is to system restore to previous day (before uninstall of PP 2.0).

Here is my install sequence over past few weeks (Time consuming).
1) Install Vista Business on a clean Hard drive
2) Install Install premiere 2.0 (while waiting for CS3 suite)
3) Install Aspect
4) Uninstall Aspect
5) Install CS3
6) Install Aspect
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quite possible the uninstalls and reinstalls have mess up a component or two within Aspect HD. Support will have suggestions, however they will need information like, will a timeline fail to play with color bars only, or does it fail with one or many video clips?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

New project with Bars and tones plays and I can lenghten it and it plays. I then add a single captured clip, and it still plays until I shorten the single clip, then it jumps to end past the bars, past the shortened clip.
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Still Not Able to Use Aspect

I am working with Jake on the ticket, but still no success. Is anyone else using Vista, CS3 and AspectHD for 24P?

Jake is working on it, but since I am not the only customer, it is taking time ;).

Mike
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #11
New Boot

Well I uninstalled everything, and then reverted back to premiere pro 1.5.1 and installed aspect HD 3.x (whatever the latest version of that is) and still have the same problem. Even with bars and tone.

Seems like if I split some footage and move it further on the time line, and when there is a gap between them if I hit play on the left-most clip it will just jump to the end, but if I hit play on the right most clip it will play from that point on. If I make any change though to that clip then it doesn't work.

Are you guys working on this problem? Or not at the moment or what??
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

im having the exact same issue. vista ultimate x64, aspect hd latest trial, premiere pro cs3.. all i did was try to cut together the video from the clip and the audio from another. no transitions or anything.. small clips.. very very annoying. right now im exporting the clips as m2t files (cineform m2t didnt even work i have to use the adobe compressor and custom settings).. since im not doing any transitions or anything it should be fine but basically cineform is useless to me right now. good thing i havnt bought it yet.. i had done a lot of editing on it before without any major issues besides audio sync durring editing really.. hopefully this all gets worked out..
David Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Yes, This combination of software Vista, CS3 and Aspect is a non-working partnership. I am in a holding pattern waiting. Fortunately, I don't do editing for a living. But it does take a lot of patience given the cost of this product.

Mike
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Good news is on its way regarding Vista issues. Give us a couple more days.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Skipping Problem solved

I gave it a quick test and it works.. see post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=100284
Michael DAmbrose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase