XDCAM Optical support - 1st sample at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM Optical support - 1st sample

Hi,

Here's a 1st sample file, an MXF file of ours which is adjusted to accomodate XDCAM Optical equipment.
If anyone would like to try and confirm that this file works in your NLE, please do so and we appreciate any feedback.

Tommy Schell

(70 Mbytes, 1080i60, 50 Mbit XDCAM 422)
http://69.15.88.17/downloads/mxf_web...sample.MXF.zip
Tommy Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

This is a very significant step for us.

We are attempting to create XDCam files so that they can be written to the XDCam Optical disk. As part of our testing process, we are offering these files for your use.

This opens up a world of features for our users.

1. Our files can be written to the XDCam Optical Disk so that they can be delivered in this format.

2. This makes a nice archive format.

3. Our files can be processed by Sony's software, such as their PDZKP1 XDCAM Transfer Plug-In for Final Cut Pro (MAC), XDCAM XFER V2.10.0 XDCAMHD422.

This is free software, a Final Cut Pro Plug In for the Mac, which takes our MXF files so that they can be edited by Final Cut Pro.

The provides an instant way for one to deliver MXF files for use on Avid, Sony Vegas, and Edius and a way to work with these same files in Final Cut Pro.

We want to acknowledge Sony's significant support in our efforts to provide this as a free upgrade for our users.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Schell View Post
Hi,

Here's a 1st sample file, an MXF file of ours which is adjusted to accomodate XDCAM Optical equipment.
If anyone would like to try and confirm that this file works in your NLE, please do so and we appreciate any feedback.

Tommy Schell

(70 Mbytes, 1080i60, 50 Mbit XDCAM 422)
http://69.15.88.17/downloads/mxf_web...sample.MXF.zip
Hi Tommy -

Tried the file in Edius 5.12 on my old workstation (Dual Xeon 3.4 GHZ) and it seems to work ok - it is more taxing on the resources of the computer than the MXF files I have been recording in - Long GOP, 100mbps, 1080 29.97p. My "clip properties" window identifies it as MXF MPEG2 Video Elementary Stream, Top Field First, 1920x1080, 29.97 frame rate and a bit rate of 50mbps. Edius does identify my other material correctly at 100 mbps.

Tried a filter and a transition - it does overload my workstation and needs to be rendered whereas the Long GOP 100 mbps does not. I will try it on my office workstation (i7 3.2 GHZ) and my main workstation (Woodcrest - dual core-dual xeon 3.0 GHZ ) but I am sure it will work on both.

Any idea why these files seem to be more taxing on computer resources?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

3. Our files can be processed by Sony's software, such as their PDZKP1 XDCAM Transfer Plug-In for Final Cut Pro (MAC), XDCAM XFER V2.10.0 XDCAMHD422.

This is free software, a Final Cut Pro Plug In for the Mac, which takes our MXF files so that they can be edited by Final Cut Pro.
Hi Dan,
What means that, that installing the "XDCAM XFER V2.10.0" is possible to read MFX files with a Mac?
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Rafael,

Yes, exactly.

Please note that our support for Sony's Optical Disk media and the coresponding support by their utililites will occur after our next release.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey,
The CD team is doing an incredible job.
Congratulations and thanks.
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

That clip works perfectly. I was able to drop it directly into the "clip" folder of an XDCAM disc in my PDW-700. I then re-imported it via the XDCAM Transfer tool from the camera into FCP, again no problems and the proxy looks fine too.

Excellent work.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Alister,

Thank you very much for testing it.

We are expecting this to be in our next release, which is currently scheduled for around October 31.

As always, this is a target date. It all depends on our testing.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

This is big news. From the release of the firmware anyone will be able to shoot with a NanoFlash and then backup to XDCAM HD at 50Mb/s. Can't wait for the firmware release.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

OS XP64

Vegas 9.0b Works
Vegas 9.0b64 Works
Vegas 8.1 Works
Vegas 8.0 File not recognized

-P
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Perrone,

Thank you very much.

Vegas 8.0(c) or higher is required to work with our files.

So, depending on which version of 8.0 you have, everything appears normal.

I also thought that Sony Vegas 8.0 did not work in any 64 bit enviornment.
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I have 8.0b installed on the laptop. Just never had a reason to upgrade it. And 8.0 runs just fine on XP64. Not sure about Vista64.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Major Player

Sony Transfer 2.10 does not get along with Snow Leopard and FCP 7. IF you have not upgraded I suggest holding off for the time being.

Alister - after dropping a nano created file into the clip forder, does the camera or a deck recognize it as video, with a thumbnail structure? In other words, when the producer takes it back to the office and puts it in a screening deck will they see video, or does the clip have to be "transferred" through 2.10 into an edit program to be viewable?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

It goes onto the disk as a video clip, the camera/deck generating the proxy and thumbnail etc. So yes you can play back the clip from the disc in a deck just like any other XDCAM HD MXF. Note that it would have to be an XDCAM HD422 deck, not the older 4:2:0 decks so PDW-700, PDW-F800 cameras or PDW-1500 or PDW-1600 decks for playback. You can of course write (as a video clip) to a PDW-U1 but the U1 is a drive only and has no playback function.
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Major Player

Thats exactly what I was thinking of using - the PDW U-1 drive, then send the producer with disk in hand.
Now if only SOny would make a firewire version of the drive I'd feel at least a touch better about spending so much on it.
Thanks for the info
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey