Nano Flash mount for PMW-350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Nano Flash mount for PMW-350

I have been working with Olof Ekbergh of Westside AV Studios a DVinfo.net sponsor who builds mounts along with cables and lots of other gear. We talked a month ago about doing a nano mount for my new camera. Now that I have the camera we went from mock up to finished product in three days.

My requirements were to have it off the back using the strong tapped holes in the top of the camera behind the wireless slot. Olof suggested we add some arms so I could mount my wireless up top and who knows what else on the sides. Here are some quick shots I just took of the rig.

One thing Olof will change is the distance from the back of the battery. It could be 1/2" less and still work fine. The battery comes on and off easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-nanomock.jpg   Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-mount-two-arms.jpg  

Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-rearview-wireless.jpg   Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-sideview-no-arms.jpg  

Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-sideview-two-arms.jpg   Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-sideview-wireless.jpg  

Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-topview-no-arms.jpg   Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-topview-two-arms.jpg  

Old January 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Quality Work

Dear Paul:
This is very nice engineering and quality work !
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Interesting

This is very interesting guys. The 350 is crying out for a nanoflash combo so I've been mulling over how to do this. The other idea I had was a v-lok cage where the nano sits between the cam and batt and the nano can slide up to see the UI or something.

Would be a bit more complex to build.

All good stuff.

Dave
Dave Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark but Olof gets the credit he does great work.

Dave I was more interested in just mounting my battery on the camera and keeping weight forward.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Major Player

This reminds me of my old DXCD50/PVV1 DVCAM camera & my Sony radio mic. Sony had a V-Lock mount accessory for the receiver that was screwed into the back of the recorder, which wrapped around the battery. The receiver was housed in a tight fitting pouch with a V-Lock fitting.

The battery could be accessed as normal and the receiver was mounted behind the battery. A very good solution. Does the PMW-350 have any mounting screw holes at the rear along the edges? If so, a similar mount could be made or perhaps purchased and a V-Lock connector attached to the nanoflash.

But then again, seeing Olof (and his team???) has already come up with a solution.......
Hope it all goes well for you and Olof.
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

David Olof is the man here I am just the lucky person to have his first mount so I can put the camera to work.

I think the simple setup is nice. There is an aluminum structure on the top back of the camera that has four tapped holes keeping the process simple. Two are 4mm and two are 2mm so there is plenty of strength.

The addition of arms going up or down each side is very nice. I may just use the top cold shoe for my wireless and keep the side arms off. Nice to have options.

Attached is a picture of the tapped holes on the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-camera-top-fasteners.jpg  
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the info & photo Paul.

I just had a look at the photos on the brochure and the back of the camera body has quite a few tapped holes, presumably for many mounting options. Just curious.

Best wishes
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I can send along a picture of the back if you like?
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Only if it's not too much bother Paul.
Thanks very much
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Hello David I think your right they have used the same Vlock mount as the DXC series. The problem with using a Vmount system is gaining access to the card slots and screen to change settings. I had a nNovia QuickCapture unit which had a great Vlock mount but the screen and HDU access was on top with cable connection on the bottom.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #11
Inner Circle

will send it along later today.
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Inner Circle

David here you go two shots of the back of the camera with battery off. Let me know if you see what you need here if not I will remove the Nano mount and take a picture of what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-battery-mount-1.jpg   Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-battery-mount-2.jpg  

Old January 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Some stills from the 350 with Nano mount and new Vinten tripod setup working sunset last night. Other stills here in the Tripod Thread.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-...ec-sticks.html
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Flash mount for PMW-350-350-field-3.jpg  
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
David here you go two shots of the back of the camera with battery off. Let me know if you see what you need here if not I will remove the Nano mount and take a picture of what you need.
Thanks Paul,

The 2 lowest holes on the LHS and the 2 offset slightly upwards on the RHS (in photo 2) are in the same position as the V-Lock bracket I have. Should fit perfectly. Only thing is that I don't have a PMW-350 camera.

How does the stock lens perform?
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hello David I think your right they have used the same Vlock mount as the DXC series. The problem with using a Vmount system is gaining access to the card slots and screen to change settings. I had a nNovia QuickCapture unit which had a great Vlock mount but the screen and HDU access was on top with cable connection on the bottom.
The mount that I have is a Sony mount and has been designed to stay well clear of everything. All that would be needed is a V-Lock mount attached to the back of the nano and clip into place behind the battery, not unlike Olof's design that Paul is using so well.

I have the mounting plate for the back of the nano with no less than 29 holes for mounting almost anything you like!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey