CD File Converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Major Player

CD File Converter

Hello All,
Anyone had experience with writing files back to CF cards for playback using CD's File Converter. I have a exported a file from FCP time-line in XDCAM 4:2:2 format 10.81 GB in size which I am trying to write back to the CF card for a presentation. File Converter log reports "Unsupported file: size is greater than 4 Gbytes: Musical Playout.mxf".
I understand that File Converter has the current limitation of only accepting files less than 30 Gbytes in size in which case my file should be ok and Files greater than 4 Gbytes will be broken up in approximate 4 Gbyte file increments.

Question where am I going wrong to get this error message?

I would really appreciate any help on this matter.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Are you using the current version of the File Converter?
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

I do not know what the problem may be, but the following may help.

Did you change the filename to Musical Playout.mxf?

If you did, I recommend a test using our traditional filename format UUCCCFFF.MXF.

UU = Unit ID of the nanoFlash, CCC = Clip Number, FFF= File Number.

All of these can be any numeric values.

Also, the MXF should be in upper case.

All of this is just to try something until I can get our expert to look at this tomorrow morning.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Dan I was using version 1.1 and have now download and installed version 1.4. I now get this error message ."error parsing quicktime file: Musical.mov"
Dan I am selecting my FCP file saved in EXDCAM format as the
'Source Folders/ CF Volumes/Files" and the Card Reader with the 64gb PhotoFast Card as the "Corresponding Destination Folders" selecting the }CLP{ folder on the card.
I hope my interpretation is correct.
Many Thanks
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Dan thanks for the info I understand the file naming convention now and even renaming the file to the NanoFlash convention I still get the error "error parsing quicktime file: 01101001.mov". I suspect that the output file from FCP is not the correct format. I have test the transfer with a native Nanoflash MOV file and it converted to MXF without a problem. The problem appears to be with the method used to output the file from FCP. If you could help a bit more detail on your exporting procedure from FCP that will be a big help.
Many Thanks
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

I will be asking Tommy, the developer of the File Converter, to respond as soon as our office in Colorado Springs opens up.

I am still concerned about the filename.

Please try renaming it to 01101001.MOV instead of 01101001.mov.

I know this sounds silly, but we found that we had to use Upper Case "MOV" and "MXF", otherwise certain Operating Systems failed to work with the files correctly. We were amazed by this.

Are you rendering your timeline to XDCam 50 Mbps 4:2:2 CBR?

This is the input that our File Converter expects. I do not think we support the XDCam EX 4:2:0 35 Mbps format. Of course, Tommy is the ultimate expert on this.
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Lance,

A couple of questions for you:

how many audio channels are being exported?

are you exporting as XDCAM HD 4:2:2 50 Mbit or XDCAM EX 35 Mbit, 1 of those 2?
(XDCAM HD 35 Mbit will not convert with the 1.4 version. )
In the Export window, you probably know, you can choose the current file / timeline settings or change to a different codec.

Also I think with the latest FileConverter, the file naming is not so critical now.

If need be, you can contact us off-list and provide a small exported file to take a look at.

Tommy Schell
Tommy Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Tommy I will send you email.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Guys a quick update.
Yesterday was my first successful conversion of FCP time-line to CF card thanks to CD’s Tommy Schell for his help. My system is a Mac Pro 8 core OS 10.6 with FCP version 7.01 and QuickTime version 10 (90.3.1) Apple Snow Leopard.

Procdure that I used.

1. Download "FileConverter V1.4" from the CD Web Site as this is the program that handles the conversion and writes the files to the CF cards.

2. I have been successful only with the time-line that has clips of the same frame rate and format.

3. Once the time-line is created select “Export using QuickTime “ not “Export using QuickTime Conversion “ I wasted a lot of time trying to export with “QuickTime Conversion” and still can not get it to work. This may be caused by Apple Snow Leopard and or QuickTime version 10 (90.3.1). Next week I will try the same procedure on a Mac with OS 10.5 Leopard system with Quicktime 7.6.4 to see if that helps.

4 In the “Export using QuickTime” go to settings and select XDCAM HD422 1080i50 CBR or which ever format you vision is in. Note it must be XDCAM HD422 CBR format. the XDCAM EX or the other VBR option do not work. Export the file to your desired location and rename it using NanoFlash naming convention eg” 01101001.MOV”.

5. Insert a freshly formatted CF card into the reader and Start up File Converter. Select your exported file in the Source Folders box and the CF card reader in the Corresponding Destination Folders box selecting the {CLP} folder on the CF card.
Press the Convert button in the File Converter and your done. I am having some audio corruption problems on the converted file during playback not sure if it’s a QuickTime version 10 or Apple Snow Leopard issue or something else.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey