Convergent Designs Flash XDR - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM   #211
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I do not know what lens Chris was using, but we have a "Wide Angle Lens" effect in that photo...
The camera I used is a Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, and it is indeed a wide-angle lens (in fact it is the only PowerShot with a WA lens, which is why I bought it) and I was zoomed out to full wide for those shots. So yes it's definitely an image effect.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM   #212
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

Thank you for confirming what I was seeing.

In the first photo, the Flash XDR looks huge!

The second photo shows the actual size much better.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #213
Inner Circle

Nevertheless, when you compare the second photo of Chris' (without the wide angle effect) to what was published at the very bottom of the preliminary brochure (also mounted on the XL H1), there is still a huge difference - almost double the size !!!

http://www.convergent-design.com/dow...20Brochure.pdf

Looks I wasn't dreaming - the device has grown during development.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM   #214
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leisegang View Post
Hi,

Sorry to add to this negitive point, it looks big to me as well.

Would need to use off camera somehow, sound crazy but strapped to my arm or something.

Suggestions would be great.

Mike.
Hi Mike-
We will be introducing a smaller version, called nanoFlash. This new box will be about 1/3 the size of Flash XDR and will not include analog audio I/O and only have 2 CF card slots. Also nanoFlash will have a built-in holder for Sony camcorder batteries (the 7.4V InfoLithium). I'll post more details later this week.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM   #215
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Nevertheless, when you compare the second photo of Chris' (without the wide angle effect) to what was published at the very bottom of the preliminary brochure (also mounted on the XL H1), there is still a huge difference - almost double the size !!!

http://www.convergent-design.com/dow...20Brochure.pdf

Looks I wasn't dreaming - the device has grown during development.
Hi Piotr-
Yes, Flash XDR has grown in size compared to our original estimates. The analog audio required much more space than originally planned (it's a premium quality design) and the addition of 2 more CF card slots added to the size. The weight and power consumption are still about the same as our original projections.

So, we're rushing out the nanoFlash, which fortunately uses the same technology as XDR, but without the analog audio and only 2 CF cards.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM   #216
Wrangler

Mike,

I really wanted to get down to South Hall lower and say hello last week. I had another gentleman with your company that came by the Sony booth where I was working. I am keenly interested in this device for the F350.

Thanks for keeping DVINFO abreast of the project!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM   #217
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Piotr-
Yes, Flash XDR has grown in size compared to our original estimates. The analog audio required much more space than originally planned (it's a premium quality design) and the addition of 2 more CF card slots added to the size. The weight and power consumption are still about the same as our original projections.

So, we're rushing out the nanoFlash, which fortunately uses the same technology as XDR, but without the analog audio and only 2 CF cards.
Thanks Mike for this update. If I may suggest something: please prepare the nanoFlash with different battery holders (like both the 7.2 and 14.4V Sony's, with the XDCAM EX line growing!) Or at the very least, if it only can be the regular one, make the battery chargeable on the unit...

This is not to say I'm definitely giving up the XDR for the little brother, but - dependig on your pricing and time to market - will be considering either. Hopefully, my deposit would be valid for the nanoFlash, as well :)
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM   #218
Convergent Design

Quote:
Thanks Mike for this update. If I may suggest something: please prepare the nanoFlash with different battery holders (like both the 7.2 and 14.4V Sony's, with the XDCAM EX line growing!) Or at the very least, if it only can be the regular one, make the battery chargeable on the unit...

This is not to say I'm definitely giving up the XDR for the little brother, but - dependig on your pricing and time to market - will be considering either. Hopefully, my deposit would be valid for the nanoFlash, as well :)
Hi Piotr-
We'll try our best to support both batteries, I'll need to study the EX battery mount a bit more before making a definite commitment. The older 7.2V batteries are fairly easy to mount. The nanoFlash will operate over the same voltage range as XDR (6 to 20V), so in theory the battery should work.

Your deposit is good for either product. We'll have pricing and delivery projections on nanoFlash shortly.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM   #219
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Mike,

I really wanted to get down to South Hall lower and say hello last week. I had another gentleman with your company that came by the Sony booth where I was working. I am keenly interested in this device for the F350.

Thanks for keeping DVINFO abreast of the project!

-gb-
Hi Greg-
Thanks! Please send us a quick e-mail (sales@convergent-design.com) and we'll get you registered for our updates.
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM   #220
Convergent Design

Flash XDR as Content Delivery Device

Dear DV Info Members-
During my long drive back from NAB, across Utah (which is quite beautiful), I thought of a second application for Flash XDR which I wanted to discuss with you.

Flash XDR has been targeted as an acquisition device, with the advantages of improved video and audio quality as well as tapeless workflow. However, XDR could offer advantages in content delivery.

After you complete a project, the video and audio could be streamed to Flash XDR (or nanoFlash) via HD-SDI or even HDMI (nanoFlash) and stored on CF cards at our highest quality (100 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP) or recorded at bit-rates compatible with broadcast servers (18 Mpbs 4:2:0 Long-GOP).

We then have a couple of different delivery options. The CF cards could be overnighted to a service bureau (possibly Convergent Design) for output to an HDCAM or DVCProHD tape to be shipped to the TV station or network. For 30 second spots, the MXF file could be directly uploaded to our server for output to tape.

Alternatively, assuming the station had an XDR, the CF cards could be shipped directly to the network for upload into their server (re-encode to the desired bit-rate), instead of the HDCAM tape route. (Given the small size and light weight, you could also ship the XDR to the TV station for upload).

The ultimate delivery method would be to encode the video at the desired broadcast bit-rate (15-18 Mbps) and then upload the content via an FTP site at the TV station / network (or overnight a CF card).

I know HDCAM deck rental can be expensive and a real hassle, so I wanted to propose several other content delivery options for your consideration.
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM   #221
Inner Circle

Dear Mike,

If my calculations are correct, one 32GB Compact Flash card, should hold a around 30 minutes of MPEG2 video using 4:2:2 at 100 Megabits per second.

At 50 Megabits per second, the card should hold around 60 minutes.

Since this card costs only $150, the shipping and insurance cost will be minimal.

Also, since the Flash XDR is capable of producing two originals, there is no danger of losing an important video.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; April 21st, 2008 at 01:32 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM   #222
Inner Circle

Mike,

One thing got me interested - will nanoFlash only offer HDMI, not HD-SDI?
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #223
Convergent Design

Quote:
Mike,

One thing got me interested - will nanoFlash only offer HDMI, not HD-SDI?
Hi Piotr-
nanoFlash will have HDMI and HD-SDI inputs as well as HD-SDI output. We will support the same MPEG2 rates and profiles as XDR and offer ASI I/O option.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM   #224
Major Player

Mike:

Was good to meet you in person at NAB - wondering when you sleep, man!

Has your team been able to iron out the playback glitching anomoly yet?

As far as the size growth discussions, I don't see the current size as an issue especially when you compare the XDR to the other similar codec quality recorders (existing and future designs shown at NAB). I wished more folks had the opportunity to pick up the current XDR in their hands like those of us who attended NAB did - it really is shockingly light in weight.

Ship them ;>}
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM   #225
Inner Circle

Dear John,

It was nice meeting you at NAB.

The "playback glitching anomly" was in the pre-production board with very special firmware that was created in a hurry to record a short clip, and then playback repeatedly. The problem was in the playback.

We wanted to show actual footage at the show, so we recorded a short clip at the start of each day. The glitching will not be in the production firmware (obviously).

Mike is working to create some clips which will show the differences between 25 Mb (Megabit per second) compression rate, 50 Mb, and 100MB.

I believe that you will be very pleased with the results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey