Convergent Designs Flash XDR - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #106
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Another sample footage request/suggestions to show off the XDR improvements:

- Shot of leaves blowing it the wind

- Water in a river or sunlight reflection on a moving water surface

- CU of fire

Long GOP just hates these type scenes

(and the 10 bit software upgrade coming down the pike is awesome! Makes our Que Investment even more valued - kicking around a second one)
Hi John-
Excellent suggestions! I too am most interested to see how well the 100 Mbps Long-GOP holds up in these conditions. I am betting that we will be surprised and the Long-GOP will perform quite well at these higher rates.

I also want to test with a camera flash, which can really test the Long-GOP as you can generate 1-2 frames in the middle of the GOP which are completely different from the I-Frame.

Mike Schell

PS I was obviously "asleep at the wheel" when I posted the e-mail address to get on the newsletter. So, if you want to be added to the Flash XDR e-mail list, send a note to sales@convergent-design.com
Mike Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #107
Major Player

As an XL -H1 owner, I have been following this for awhile - I am super excited to hear it's progressing well.
I may go to NAB, just to see it .
John
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #108
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
As an XL -H1 owner, I have been following this for awhile - I am super excited to hear it's progressing well.
I may go to NAB, just to see it .
John
Hi John-
Thanks! We are working double time to get it finished. Debug is going extremely well. We will keep you posted on the progress, but NAB is looking good.

Best-
Mike
Mike Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #109
Inner Circle

Mike,

Even from your preliminary brochure, I can see your favourite mounting option for the Flash XDR is the back of the XL-H1 camera... While this is understandable, please tell me: having the PMW-EX1, what will my mounting options be? Between the camera and tripod - OK, but how about shooting handheld? Also, I am using PAG batteries without V-mount (Powerpack 100 Wh model 9370), attached to the plates which either goes to the back of my PAG Orbitor shoulder support, or to my waist with the belt clip (the plates have two PP90 socekts - one is used for the PAG lamp).

Another question is this: on your web site it's possible to preorder with a deposit, but I'd like to buy from your EUR distributor (www.symbiosis.eu), and they don't take pre-orders. What do I do to get the Flash XDR as soon as possible (would like to get the Invoice, dated before the end of March - even if the actual delivery is going to take some more time).

I'll apreciate you answer.

PS Is it viable to record from the EX1's HD-SDI to the Flash XDR, while monitoring on a HD laptop, using Flash XDR's 1394 output?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; March 9th, 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Obvious Question?

Anyone talked to you about taking the XDR and making it the building block for a camera?

Just trying to think of how many 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed cameras there are available...
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #111

Every camera with HD SDI output.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Every camera with HD SDI output.
I meant a one piece camera utilsiing XDR technology for onboard recording.
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #113
Major Player

Mike this question maybe redundant

forgive if it's already been addressed, but it occurred to me yesterday, will the xdr also capture uncompressed audio, or is it only a video stream?

thanks

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #114
Inner Circle

Dear Adam,

The Flash XDR provides for recording 4 channels of audio embedded in the HD-SDI data stream, or 2 channels of analog XLR input (microphone or line level), with microphone gain up to 65 db.

The analog audio data is recorded at 48,000 samples per second with a word size of 16 or 24 bits (user selectable).

So, yes, the Flash XDR records uncompressed audio (in the usual meaning of the term).

Being able to record 48K/24 Bit can be a real advantage over the usual 48K/16 Bit recording standard.

Note that the analog XLR inputs, direct to the Flash XDR, completely eliminates any issues with less than optimum audio sections of the camera.
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #115
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Note that the analog XLR inputs, direct to the Flash XDR, completely eliminates any issues with less than optimum audio sections of the camera.
Which is an advantage provided the XDR's own section is of higher quality :)

On another note: has anyone got any update about the mounting options with the Sony EX1, and the PAGlock battery system?
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #116
Major Player

Thanks Dan

my bad,

It was one of those I'm too exhausted and didn't go through the thread to find out what might have been mentioned in other posts. And I should have looked at the pdf.

Good news though, really amped with part as my HD251 only has 384kbps compressed audio.

Question with that then, does it work in the same manner as the video stream that if it's SDI output, the audio isn't already compressed, or is this possibly hardware restricted within the camera?

thanks

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #117
Inner Circle

Dear Adam,

The embedded audio from your camera, output via HD-SDI, should be uncompressed 48k PCM (Pulse Coded Modulation). In other words, it should be uncompressed.

The HD-SDI standard provides for up to 8 pairs (16 individual channels) of embedded audio at 48k 24 bits. 16 bit audio is also accommodated.

You do not need to worry about the 384k compressed audio, it does not apply when using HD-SDI.
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #118
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
forgive if it's already been addressed, but it occurred to me yesterday, will the xdr also capture uncompressed audio, or is it only a video stream?

thanks

Adam
Hi Adam-
Just to expound further on Dan Keaton's excellent summary of the Flash XDR analog audio, I would add that we are using top of the line components in this design. The 24-bit audio A/D is a very high-end device with >120 dB dynamic range and very low harmonic distortion. Even the headphone amplifier is a very high-grade design, arguably a notch above the headphone driver circuit in most camcorders.
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #119
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Which is an advantage provided the XDR's own section is of higher quality :)

On another note: has anyone got any update about the mounting options with the Sony EX1, and the PAGlock battery system?
Hi Piotr-
Our mechanical engineer has completed the Flash XDR box design and is now concentrating on mounting options. We are actively working on support for the Sony EX1.

Also, we are adding numerous threaded inserts into the box to support various monting options. More details soon.
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #120
Major Player

Thanks Dan and Mike

mate this is all good news, I'm constantly thinking "If only I didn't have sucky compressed audio for this situation". This will help when I'm soloing in documentary and events land and have no sound man.

Cheers

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey