Convergent Designs Flash XDR - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #181
Inner Circle

Mike, and anybody else -
-perhaps this has been discussed before, but which NLE is supposed to handle the files recorded with Flash XDR? For example, the 100Mbps, 4:2:2 format - will it be possible to edit with Vegas, or will some SW/HW solution like Edius SP/SP-SDI be required?
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #182
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Mike, and anybody else -
-perhaps this has been discussed before, but which NLE is supposed to handle the files recorded with Flash XDR? For example, the 100Mbps, 4:2:2 format - will it be possible to edit with Vegas, or will some SW/HW solution like Edius SP/SP-SDI be required?
Hi Piotr-
We are expecting NLE support for the 50 Mbps rate to be announced at NAB. Extending this rate to 100 Mbps should not be a difficult update to the software CODEC.

Look for more info next week.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #183
Convergent Design

Flash XDR Update 10-Apr-08

We have some exciting news to report on Flash XDR: we now have video recording and playback from Compact Flash at 50Mbps 4:2:2 (Full-Raster) working on our engineering eval board! We are recording a 30 second clip and playing back on our HD-SDI monitor. The video quality looks superb.

We also just received the metal chassis and the rubber overmold. We'll post photos of the actual product later today.

Please see Flash XDR at our booth (SL7828) next week at NAB.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #184
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post

Please see Flash XDR at our booth (SL7828) next week at NAB.
I'll be there to collect my machine...

but seriously when do you expect to start fulfillment? (the act or state of fulfilling: to witness the fulfillment of a dream; to achieve fulfillment of one's hopes.)

Can't wait!

BTW - My 4 Lexor card readers arrived yesterday. Sent away for my 4 x $35 refund. $140 coming back.

Stefan
Stefan Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #185
Regular Crew

Stefan

Did you send out 4 seperate rebate forms or did you send out 1 form for the four???

Just curious as mine showed up this friday also.... :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #186
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Sargent View Post
I'll be there to collect my machine...

but seriously when do you expect to start fulfillment? (the act or state of fulfilling: to witness the fulfillment of a dream; to achieve fulfillment of one's hopes.)

Can't wait!

BTW - My 4 Lexor card readers arrived yesterday. Sent away for my 4 x $35 refund. $140 coming back.

Stefan
Hi Stefan-
We hope to start delivery in May. Our engineers are working double time to get Flash XDR finished. We are making excellent progress, but this is a complicated product.

Also, if anyone needs high-rez images, they are available on our website for download.
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #187
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Stefan

Did you send out 4 separate rebate forms or did you send out 1 form for the four???

Just curious as mine showed up this friday also.... :-)
The invoice from Adorama had all four on it. I stapled four bar code cuttings to the rebate form. Put a big X4 on the form. We'll see what happens.

They say only 3 per rebates per customer but I might get lucky.

Haven't bought the Flash cards yet. Will wait until Mike delivers real soon now.

http://stefansargent.com
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #188
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Stefan-
We hope to start delivery in May. Our engineers are working double time to get Flash XDR finished. We are making excellent progress, but this is a complicated product.

Also, if anyone needs high-rez images, they are available on our website for download.
I understand - if you need a Beta tester, try me.

See ya at NAB!

http://stefansargent.com
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #189
Obstreperous Rex

NAB press releases and product photos posted at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=140

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #190
Major Player

Hey Mike

any news on the NLE support yet? Thats a biggie

cheers

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #191
Major Player

NLE support is still a little nebulous at this point.

Asked this question at NAB ... and did not quite get an answer out of Adobe.
Mike said they have been working with all the majors on it for some time though. And seeing how thorough his team has been with the product, I doubt if they would leave out the last step.

Also, since this is a Sony codec, I would imagine that Sony's Vegas may already support it.

Hopefully Mike Schell will find time after NAB to provide more detail on the NLE support issue.

P.S. XDR won a Viddy for Best of Show at NAB'08.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #192
Major Player

Congrats guys

on a well deserved award on a great product, This was actually the reason a year ago I spent the extra on a JVC 251 over the 200 almost a year ago before I knew specifically about your product, it is a must-do progression of the industry, and will once and for all herald a time when the days of bad colour keying capability, unnecesary mosquito noise and subpar audio, especially for the independant one man bands will be gone.

Now I just have to find a way to pay for one when they come out :- P
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #193
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
NLE support is still a little nebulous at this point.

Asked this question at NAB ... and did not quite get an answer out of Adobe.
Mike said they have been working with all the majors on it for some time though. And seeing how thorough his team has been with the product, I doubt if they would leave out the last step.

Also, since this is a Sony codec, I would imagine that Sony's Vegas may already support it.

Hopefully Mike Schell will find time after NAB to provide more detail on the NLE support issue.

P.S. XDR won a Viddy for Best of Show at NAB'08.
Hi John-
Apple announced support for the 50Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP CODEC at NAB. We will send test files sometime this month to the Apple CODEC development team. We don't expect any big challenges, but there may be a few necessary tweaks for 100% compatibility. We also hope for 100 Mbps compatibility in the near future as this is a simple increase in the bit-rate (the basic CODEC is unchanged).

Avid is projecting 50Mbps 4:2:2 support in June. We also plan to send test files shortly. I will check with Vegas and Premiere this week.

As a fall back, you can always playback the video via HD-SDI and capture into an NLE just like a tape deck. This is certainly not the preferred method, but it will work as an interim solution.
Mike Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #194
Trustee

In theory Avid Liquid should have full support all set to go. I always work with everything up to 300 mbits m2v files in Liquid. The only issue there may be is how the MXf files are created. Liquid does already however every single flavor of mpeg2 you could ever have. I know this doesn't help those who do not use Liquid but it does show that it can be done and that it shouldn't be any problem to support the format. Like Mike pointed out once you support the high profile high level form of mpeg2 with the 4:2:2 support everything else is just bitrate level and usually a decoder doesn't really care what bitrate it is decoding. For those who work with Cineform or Prores there shouldn't be that much of a problem to convert the files to either of those formats to work with.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #195
Inner Circle

This is all very nice, but:

- still no word on mounting option for Sony EX1
- still not even a shortest sample of 50 Mbps 4:2:2 which not only would help us assess quality (which I believe will be great), but also let us try out our current NLE's (using Vegas personally, I wouldn't like the idea of being forced to invest in Liquid, or a hardware card for HD-SDI capture, at all !!)

Mike?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey