nanoFlash Details - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #46
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. Sadler View Post
I would absolutely have a start/stop to ensure compatibility with all cameras. For HPX500/3000 we plan to run a small P2 card in loop record mode to be able to use camera start/stop. But I'm not sure if varicam or F900 will work without tape. There's a lot of varicam owners and rental houses who would love to keep their Varicams going, and the XDR is a significantly better solution than a P2 mobile.
Hi E.J-
Good suggestions. We already have this functionality in both the Flash XDR and the nanoFlash, we just need to find a suitable switch with built-in LED. We'll put this on our task list for July.

Cheers-
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM   #47
Convergent Design

Coco Battery Adapter Coming

We have a Coco battery adapter in route to us directly from Bebob. We are very excited to start testing this adapter and confirm functionality with our Flash XDR / nanoFlash. We should also be able to report the run times using the big BP-U60 battery.

Stay tuned for more info.
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Piotr-
I just checked and you cannot engage the record function without an SxS card present. But you could record in the lower quality setting (on the EX1) to give you a longer time. Alternatively, we could rig a simple start button (with integrated tally light) to trigger nanoFlash to record. nanoFlash can be set to automatically generate the time-code.

Redundant recording to the SxS and the CF cards is, of course, always a possibility.
Mike,

Depending on how good the Convergent Design - Sony relations are, you could think of one of the two solutions that in my opinion would be most elegant and functional:

1. Make Sony modify the next fw version for EX1/EX3 so that - when FireWire port is enabled (in SP mode - but with HD-SDI outputting the full raster signal before any formatting, it wouldn't matter) - the HD-SDI output is NOT disabled (currently, it is). Since with the i.LINK port active, the camera may be configured to output either to SxS cards only, or i.LINK only, or both - it would be possible to record without the SxS card inserted (using HD-SDI and not i.LINK, of course)

- or

2. Device a dummy SxS card & cable, connected to the Nano/XDR Flash unit, very much like the Sony new HDD drive for the EX1/EX3. Unlike with the HDD, the dummy SxS would only serve to cheat the camera and control the Nano/XDR; actual recording still using HD-SDI of course

What do you think?
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
two solutions that in my opinion would be most elegant and functional:

1. Make Sony modify the next fw version for EX1/EX3 so that - when FireWire port is enabled (in SP mode - but with HD-SDI outputting the full raster signal [...snip...]

- or

2. Devise a dummy SxS card & cable [...snip....]
Hi Piotr,

I think these will be difficult options to realize.

However, I think a loop-record function similar to what Panasonic has in their P2 cams is possible as a firmware upgrade. You would then use a single SxS card for unlimited recording time.

Now if someone could convince Sony to put this on 'the list'...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #50
Convergent Design

Quote:
Mike,

Depending on how good the Convergent Design - Sony relations are, you could think of one of the two solutions that in my opinion would be most elegant and functional:

1. Make Sony modify the next fw version for EX1/EX3 so that - when FireWire port is enabled (in SP mode - but with HD-SDI outputting the full raster signal before any formatting, it wouldn't matter) - the HD-SDI output is NOT disabled (currently, it is). Since with the i.LINK port active, the camera may be configured to output either to SxS cards only, or i.LINK only, or both - it would be possible to record without the SxS card inserted (using HD-SDI and not i.LINK, of course)

- or

2. Device a dummy SxS card & cable, connected to the Nano/XDR Flash unit, very much like the Sony new HDD drive for the EX1/EX3. Unlike with the HDD, the dummy SxS would only serve to cheat the camera and control the Nano/XDR; actual recording still using HD-SDI of course

What do you think?
Hi Piotr-
We'll study these options a bit more, but they may be difficult to achieve. Of course the best option would be a simple firmware update in the camera.

On a side note, you may still want to record to the SxS cards and nanoFlash simultaneously. This would create a redundant recording (which is always a good idea) and will enable you to review the last shot through the LCD screen on the camera (nanoFlash only has a monochrome screen for setup and control). If the SxS cards become full, you can always do a format in the camera (takes about 10 seconds) and then continue shooting.

We just received the Coco power adapter. It looks great and we should be able to easily adapt it to the EX1. We're looking at several mounting options for the nanoFlash including the cold shoe just above the microphone input.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
On a side note, you may still want to record to the SxS cards and nanoFlash simultaneously. This would create a redundant recording (which is always a good idea) and will enable you to review the last shot through the LCD screen on the camera (nanoFlash only has a monochrome screen for setup and control). If the SxS cards become full, you can always do a format in the camera (takes about 10 seconds) and then continue shooting.
Mike,

Yeah, I think simultaneous SxS recording/reformatting will be the simplest way (two of them actually needed for continuous recording).

As to the EX1 mounting options: frankly, I will be saving the only cold shoe for a lamp (and even without it, don't want to make my camera too front-heavy) - so while the shoe is an option with EX3 (it has 2 of them), with EX1 I'd like to have the possibility of putting the nanoFlash in my pocket (this is how I used a DR60 drive with my V1E, anyway). Of course I'm talking hand-held situations now - with the tripod, the possibilities are many.
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #52
Convergent Design

Quote:
Mike,

Yeah, I think simultaneous SxS recording/reformatting will be the simplest way (two of them actually needed for continuous recording).

As to the EX1 mounting options: frankly, I will be saving the only cold shoe for a lamp (and even without it, don't want to make my camera too front-heavy) - so while the shoe is an option with EX3 (it has 2 of them), with EX1 I'd like to have the possibility of putting the nanoFlash in my pocket (this is how I used a DR60 drive with my V1E, anyway). Of course I'm talking hand-held situations now - with the tripod, the possibilities are many.
Hi Piotr-
Understood, we'll give you both mounting options, on the camera or in the pocket / clipped onto your belt.

On a side note, we're going to extraordinary lengths to get the power dissipation down to the absolute minimum. We'll know soon how well our efforts have paid off.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Piotr-
Understood, we'll give you both mounting options, on the camera or in the pocket / clipped onto your belt.

On a side note, we're going to extraordinary lengths to get the power dissipation down to the absolute minimum. We'll know soon how well our efforts have paid off.
Mike it is quite important to leave the cold shoe free for an on-board light - this is of utmost importance for ENG videographers. Also for ENG videographers, it is also important that the nanoFlash is attached to the camera to avoid dangling wires which will come in the way during action shots.

Can you post a shot of this new Coco adaptor together with the EX3 or is it still under wraps? I'm very eager.........
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #54
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Mike it is quite important to leave the cold shoe free for an on-board light - this is of utmost importance for ENG videographers. Also for ENG videographers, it is also important that the nanoFlash is attached to the camera to avoid dangling wires which will come in the way during action shots.

Can you post a shot of this new Coco adaptor together with the EX3 or is it still under wraps? I'm very eager.........
Hi Brian-
The Bebob engineers are looking at a couple of mounting options for the nanoFlash. Yes, I can understand the need to keep the cold shoe open for lights.

We don't have an EX3 yet, so no photos are possible. You can get a good idea by looking at the Coco + EX1 shots at www.bebob.de
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Brian-
The Bebob engineers are looking at a couple of mounting options for the nanoFlash. Yes, I can understand the need to keep the cold shoe open for lights.

We don't have an EX3 yet, so no photos are possible. You can get a good idea by looking at the Coco + EX1 shots at www.bebob.de
...ooops my mistake! I have now read the whole thread and I've realised that you were referring to the Coco EX, which I already have bought. I thought that Bebob have sent you a new design. My concern is that if the Coco ex is to be used for the nano flash, then we are still faced with a problem as to how to power an onboard light. I would be more eager if Bebob for example, invented a box (like they have for firestore) underneath the camera for the nano flash and somehow a V-lock plate capable of accepting V type batteries powers both the camera, the light and the nano flash. The V-type batteries are usually more powerful than the BPU-60 and tolerate more current draws.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #56
Convergent Design

Quote:
...ooops my mistake! I have now read the whole thread and I've realised that you were referring to the Coco EX, which I already have bought. I thought that Bebob have sent you a new design. My concern is that if the Coco ex is to be used for the nano flash, then we are still faced with a problem as to how to power an onboard light. I would be more eager if Bebob for example, invented a box (like they have for firestore) underneath the camera for the nano flash and somehow a V-lock plate capable of accepting V type batteries powers both the camera, the light and the nano flash. The V-type batteries are usually more powerful than the BPU-60 and tolerate more current draws.
Hi Brian-
I heard the exact same request form another customer yesterday. I will pass this idea on the the Bebob folks.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #57
Major Player

Mike, I know that it might be too late in the day - however if the design box for nano flash is still yet to be manufactured, is it possible to have the lcd panel with the important info on the side rather on the face? The reason being that if the recorder is attached underneath the camera, one can always have a look at the display to check all vital parameters. This avoids having a box like Bebob's box for firestore having to be opened everytime one needs to check out the recorder status.

Another thing whilst we are at it, maybe Bebob or whoever is going to produce an under camera housing for this recorder, might incorporate a space to attach the BPU-30 battery to power up the recorder. Since the recorder is very low power, the smaller Sony battery should be enough, apart from it being smaller and lighter to fit under the camera.
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #58

FWIW...

I have a V-mount plate attached to my shoulder brace, which accepts my IDX NP2 battery system. Zacuto has photos of this mounting arrangement on their website. The NP2 battery powers the EX1 thru the 12v socket on the camera body, which leaves a D-tap socket to power my Firestore FS-4HD or nNovia QC Deck. Since the D-Tap is stackable, another D-tap can be routed to a light. IMHO, regardless of the 10w power draw of the nano, the Sony BP-U60 battery is way too wimpy to drive external power consumers, if it's powering the camera, as well. A mounting box, ala bebobs FS4 mount which mounts under the camera body, would hamper shoulder mount rigs like mine. My own preference would be a V-mount arrangement, which sandwiches the QCDeck between the IDX battery and the V-mount. I use this with a nNovia QC Deck and it works quite well, whether shoulder or tripod mounted.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #59
Convergent Design

Quote:
Mike, I know that it might be too late in the day - however if the design box for nano flash is still yet to be manufactured, is it possible to have the lcd panel with the important info on the side rather on the face? The reason being that if the recorder is attached underneath the camera, one can always have a look at the display to check all vital parameters. This avoids having a box like Bebob's box for firestore having to be opened everytime one needs to check out the recorder status.

Another thing whilst we are at it, maybe Bebob or whoever is going to produce an under camera housing for this recorder, might incorporate a space to attach the BPU-30 battery to power up the recorder. Since the recorder is very low power, the smaller Sony battery should be enough, apart from it being smaller and lighter to fit under the camera.
Hi Brian-
Thanks for the recommendations. I think we're too late to move the LCD screen to the side. I'll have a look at it today, but there are many considerations to balance in moving the LCD screen.

We do plan to offer a battery mounting plate which snaps onto the top of the nanoFlash. You are correct the smaller BPU-30 battery would be a good power source and should provide over 90 minutes of run time.
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #60
Major Player

Yes Bill that's my point. I have the nNovia and it can be easily sandwiched between a camera and a V-type battery. The nano, as far as I can see, cannot be configured this way if it has the lcd display on the face rather on the side like nNovia. On the bigger cameras such as the Sony DSR range, such a setup would be ideal for nano and flash XDR. It can be sandwiched much like the cordless mics.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey