DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   What about off-speed shooting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/125893-what-about-off-speed-shooting.html)

Travis Petty July 13th, 2008 09:38 PM

What about off-speed shooting?

So, I'm very excited to read up about all the improvement on Flash XDR and nanoFlash . . .

but I haven't seen anyone mentioning OFF-SPEED shooting yet?

How will this unit (or WILL the unit) handle Off-Speed shooting, like on the Sony EX1/EX3 or the upcoming Panasonic HPX170??

Thanks!
Travis

Dean Harrington July 13th, 2008 11:59 PM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Petty (Post 906907)
So, I'm very excited to read up about all the improvement on Flash XDR and nanoFlash . . .

but I haven't seen anyone mentioning OFF-SPEED shooting yet?

How will this unit (or WILL the unit) handle Off-Speed shooting, like on the Sony EX1/EX3 or the upcoming Panasonic HPX170??

Thanks!
Travis

Are you referring to over and under cranking?

Travis Petty July 14th, 2008 07:23 AM

over/under cranking AND triggering

yes, over/under cranking ... Such as at 60 for playback at 24. Sound is non-functional at that point, but can the recorder do this (like P2 or SxS would).

Also, does the device start/stop when you hit record on the camera? And does it happen when there are no P2 or SxS cards in the camera?

Dean Harrington July 14th, 2008 07:42 AM

No ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Petty (Post 907071)
yes, over/under cranking ... Such as at 60 for playback at 24. Sound is non-functional at that point, but can the recorder do this (like P2 or SxS would).

Also, does the device start/stop when you hit record on the camera? And does it happen when there are no P2 or SxS cards in the camera?

My understanding is that it does not do under/over cranking! That may be something you can ask the people making the HD Elite or look for a editing solution. I'm not sure why is isn't happening on the Nanno/Flash XDR but as far as I know it isn't.

Steve Phillipps July 14th, 2008 07:45 AM

Travis, it has been talked about.
It will support 720 50P and 60P so you can get slomo like that, but as for EX1 Slow/Quick mode, it seems it will not support it. Likewise for the Sony F355, it'll not do variable frame rates, and the output is interlaced. Likely also no VFR from HPX500 either.
Steve

Dan Keaton July 14th, 2008 03:33 PM

On the question of over and under cranking:

At this time, I am not certain of what comes over the HD-SDI cable, when a camera is in over or under cranking mode.

The capabilities of the HD-SDI interface limits what we can do in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash to a certain degree.

Specifically, 24p is usually packaged in the HD-SDI as a 1080i60 stream, but with some programming, we can extract the original 24p and then only record the appropriate 24p frames.

But for true over and under cranking, we do not know (at least I do not know), what comes through the HD-SDI interface.

Until we do, we can not give you an intelligent answer. I can tell you that if you camera supports over and under cranking, and if it is possible to do, then we will want to do it in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash.

Travis Petty July 14th, 2008 10:15 PM

I hope you can make it work

Thanks for your message.

I hope you can make it work to handle over/under cranking.

To be honest, this device will be cool if it just takes the original 24p out of a 1080i60 signal (that's be like P2 recording a PN mode, Progressive Native, right?).

But it you REALLY wanna make a big splash . . . you've got to do everything I could on a P2 or SxS card. I don't really want to give-up functionality for cost savings. To be a truly fantastic solution, it would be cool that it does it better AND cheaper WITHOUT sacrificing anything.

This is the ultimate.

I do a great deal of off-speed shooting with my P2 (and soon-to-be SxS) cards . . . but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of shooting with this unit (in a much improved compression scheme), but then having to us P2 or SxS cards for all of the slo-motion stuff (and timelapse!). It won't match! What I'd really like to do is sell off all P2 cards (and never but ANY SxS cards when getting the Sony EX3). I'd be very content with a Flash XDR or nanoFlash firmly attached semi-permanently to my camera and having a stockpile of (cheap!) 32gb compact flash cards on hand . . . as longs as they do what the P2/SxS cards could do.

E.J. Sadler July 15th, 2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Petty (Post 907404)
I do a great deal of off-speed shooting with my P2 (and soon-to-be SxS) cards . . . but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of shooting with this unit (in a much improved compression scheme), but then having to us P2 or SxS cards for all of the slo-motion stuff (and timelapse!). It won't match!

The XDR will support time lapse.

With the price of CF, we plan on just shooting 60p for any slow motion and do any ramping/retiming in post.

Depending on how 24p pulled from 60p looks, we might just shoot 60p all the time for the flexibility.