Sony F900 mounting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony F900 mounting

I see in some of the literature that the Flash XDR unit will mount on most cameras. I'm wondering what this mount will look like for specific cameras like;

Sony F900R and Sony EX-1 ??

It would be very nice to see a 50pin interface like an Evertz or Miranda box uses for the F900 but barring that I'm very curious as to the interface between the camera and the XDR unit.

Bruce Schultz

PS: to Mike Schell - hey I was one of the original Plum Video Card beta testers. Good to see you guys up on an exciting new product.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
I see in some of the literature that the Flash XDR unit will mount on most cameras. I'm wondering what this mount will look like for specific cameras like;

Sony F900R and Sony EX-1 ??

It would be very nice to see a 50pin interface like an Evertz or Miranda box uses for the F900 but barring that I'm very curious as to the interface between the camera and the XDR unit.

Bruce Schultz

PS: to Mike Schell - hey I was one of the original Plum Video Card beta testers. Good to see you guys up on an exciting new product.
Hi Bruce-
We are working on a Sony F23 mounting scheme now (using the Flash XDR). We should be able to use this work with the F900 also.

On the EX1, we would recommend using the nanoFlash recorder, since you won't need the analog audio input found on the larger XDR. We are working on a mount with the Coco battery adapter, but I don't have anything definitive just yet.

If you are not receiving our newsletters, please register on the home page of our website, as we should have more news on battery mount options in the near future.

Oh yes, we remember the Plum well, but portable video recorders/players are even more fun to develop!
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Tourist

F900 mount

Hi Mike,

Bruce question about a 50 pin F900/3 connection for the flash xdr is very important for me an many professional camera users because it makes it possible to attach the flash xdr directly to the f900 without a miranda box between them. A miranda 800 for example has this 50 pin connector with a sony battery Vmount on one side. So the miranda gets the full hd 4:2:2 videosignal and all other signals like timecode and sound. If you could make this adaption possible all professional camera users could then adapt the flash xdr directly with all connections in a few seconds. That would have the advantage that all HDCAM cameras like the F900 could use the flash xdr much more easier and without interconnect a miranda in between. If I cannot use this 50 pin adaptor I must connect the xdr on top of the miranda with video, timecode audio and power connections. This makes the system much more complex and heavily. To use the xdr on a system like the F900 is a great possibility because I get all the benefits from the xdr and have a backup on tape in 3:1:1 in the same time.

I would be very grateful for more infromation to this topic and send my best wishes to all of the crew for your great work :-)

Greetings from Germany

Helmut
Helmut Brueker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Even if every F900 owner in the world was going to buy an XDR, I don't think Convergent could hit it's price point having to deal with a non HD-SDI signal from the camera. It just doesn't make sense to support anything that doesn't have HD-SDI out. I think you'll have to stick with the Miranda to get HD-SDI or rent an F900R.
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have tried to do some quick research on the F900, but I could not find what I needed.

From this thread it appears that the F900 does not have an HD-SDI output.

It appears that the F900R does.

Can anyone confirm this?

Do either have component output?

If they have HD-SDI, do they have embedded audio and timecode?
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The F900 does not have HS-SDI, it's analogue outputs needed an external converter like the Miranda.

The F900R does have HD-SDI that was designed to be recorded with an HDCAM-SR deck, so timecode is present and but I don't know about audio. It seems hard to belive they would not embed audio given how much grief they ate about the F900's outputs, but you never know.
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear E. J.,

Thank you for the information.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey