DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   XDR and SLR Video.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/128850-xdr-slr-video.html)

Ray Bell August 27th, 2008 04:08 PM

XDR and SLR Video....

Well you guys at CD may get even more busy as Nikon just anounced a new SLR
that shoots Video and has HDMI port....

I'd love a setup where I could get a XDR and an SLR in a underwater housing to shoot
video .... and of course land use too would be great... who needs a 35mm adaptor
with that setup.... :-)

Dan Keaton August 27th, 2008 06:54 PM

Dear Ray,

It certainly is an interesting time for innovation.

It does seem that a Flash XDR, with its external audio capabilities, would be a nice match for the Nikon D90.

We still have to get the HDMI converted to HD-SDI for input to the Flash XDR, but this is doable today with an external converter.

I want to learn more about the D90:

1. How long can it record internally?

2. What are its audio capabilities?

3. When will it be shipping?

I tried to read the spec's last night, but did not finish.

I wonder when Canon will come out with a competitive model? I would like to see 1080 instead of 720p.

George Kroonder August 28th, 2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 925849)
I want to learn more about the D90:

1. How long can it record internally?
2. What are its audio capabilities?
3. When will it be shipping?

I tried to read the spec's last night, but did not finish.

From what I gleaned:
1. 5 min of 720p or upto 29 minutes of the smallest video
2. Very limited (internal mic)
3. Late September

George/

Dan Keaton August 28th, 2008 04:35 AM

Dear George,

Thank you for the information.

I always appreciate your posts and support.

Vincent Oliver August 30th, 2008 11:44 PM

recording is in mono only.

I attended the press laumch last week and had a play with the camera. It looks like it is going to be a winner for Nikon. The five minute recording time is limited for tax reasons, longer times would mean the camera would be subjected to higher taxes - not sure why Nikon didn't consider that maybe the customer wouldn't mind paying the extra tax for longer recording time. The other problem with longer times is that the large sensor would get very hot. You can of course record as many five minute sequences as you want, dependant on memory card size.

I don't know about other users, but my clips never run past a couple of minutes (maximum) per take.

I will be getting this camera within the next week or so and will be producing a DVD user guide on it.

Nikon D40X DVD

Victor Danell October 5th, 2008 10:57 AM

Does anyone know what you get out of the D90 HDMI-port? 4:2:2? Real 1080p? If so, it would be amazing to try it with the Flash XDR!