DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   32GB 133X Transcend Cards Drop below US $100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/133630-32gb-133x-transcend-cards-drop-below-us-100-a.html)

Mike Schell September 19th, 2008 03:03 PM

32GB 133X Transcend Cards Drop below US $100

Check out www.mydigitaldiscout.com for 32GB 133X Transcend cards for under US $100! When we started design of the Flash XDR about 15 months ago, these cards were selling in the $230 range.

I expect the prices to continue to drop as the basic NAND chip prices are falling at the rate of 50% per year.

So, this begs the question - will CF media ultimately replace tape as an archival medium? It does offer a longer life, smaller size, no mechanical issues or dropouts, and it is very IT friendly (being file based).

Justin Benn September 20th, 2008 06:03 AM

Wow - that was quick!

Five Transcend 32GB 133x cards or one 8GB SxS? The maths is compelling.

Jus.

Jim Arthurs September 23rd, 2008 11:18 AM

The future of CF seems bright... I wonder what the upper limits of size and speed will be?

Pretec unveils 64GB and 100GB CF Cards: Digital Photography Review

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

David Heath September 23rd, 2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs (Post 941621)
The future of CF seems bright... I wonder what the upper limits of size and speed will be?

Indeed - though cheap, small cards may be even more useful much of the time, sort of equivalent to "solid state tape", shoot, and hand over at end of filming. No laptops, no downloading, no fuss. Hopefully the coming of the bigger sizes will mean the smaller ones will come to the price where they can be considered consumable.

At 50Mbs, 16 GB is about half an hour, which may be a very useful size in this respect.

Dean Harrington September 23rd, 2008 07:41 PM

flash cards ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 941852)
Indeed - though cheap, small cards may be even more useful much of the time, sort of equivalent to "solid state tape", shoot, and hand over at end of filming. No laptops, no downloading, no fuss. Hopefully the coming of the bigger sizes will mean the smaller ones will come to the price where they can be considered consumable.

At 50Mbs, 16 GB is about half an hour, which may be a very useful size in this respect.

It's clear to me that flash is the way to go simply because so many devices use them! Mulit-devices using these cards means cheaper and better performance via flash will continue to be the direction for solid state!

Mike Schell September 29th, 2008 09:52 PM

Price Correction: 32GB Transcend Cards now under US $90

mydigitaldiscount.com now has the Transcend 133X 32GB cards for under US $90.

When we started the Flash XDR design, about 15 months ago, these cards were $230 to $250 each. The price drop has been simply amazing!