DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   QuickTime Working at 50/100 Mbps 4:2:2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/134952-quicktime-working-50-100-mbps-4-2-2-a.html)

Mike Schell September 29th, 2008 04:44 PM

QuickTime Working at 50/100 Mbps 4:2:2

I am happy to report that we successfully played back our first Quicktime files (.mov) in FCP captured at 50 and 100 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP, full-raster. As you can imagine, the video looked superb!

We need another day or so to fix the audio and to complete all the tests. We are cautiously optimistic that we can reliably play back the 100 Mbps stream. Our short clip works fine, but we need to test a longer clip just to feel confident.

I will post some clips for download tomorrow, after we finish the champagne!

Godfrey Kirby September 30th, 2008 12:08 AM

Well done Mike. I'm sure everyone wishes you a smooth & speedy progress to production models. Assuming we still have an economy, roofs over our heads, jobs & credit cards that work, an XDR is right at the top of my list.....

Good luck - G.

Dean Harrington September 30th, 2008 04:30 AM

Good to see ...

Progress and testing look good! Keep at it.

Justin Benn September 30th, 2008 08:29 AM

Nice one.

Keeping my eye open for it all.

And also the 10 bit uncompressed option. Very nice indeed.

Jus.

Mike Schell September 30th, 2008 06:36 PM

QuickTime File for Download

Here's the link for a simple Quicktime file we captured from Flash XDR this afternoon. We used a Canon XL-H1 camera and captured into Flash XDR using the Sony MPEG2 set for full-raster (1920x1080), 59.94i, 4:2:2 at 100 Mbps.

The footage played back perfectly on our 2.5MHz Quad-Core Mac with 2 GByte RAM running the latest version of FCP (with the XDCAM 4:2:2 CODEC).

Please ignore the audio, which still needs a few more corrections. Also, the subject material is not the greatest, but should give you a rough idea of the quality.

In the near future, we plan to capture some 108p24 footage of the trees, leaves and rocks in our nearby Garden of the Gods park, using a Sony EX1 camera.

Here's the link to the 46 MByte QT file: 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download XDR00002.MOV

We look forward to your feedback.

Henry Olonga October 1st, 2008 07:31 AM

Windows

Hi Mike,
Cannot view the footage on windows.I presume I need the right decoder.Any ideas where I can download it.Best wishes.Henry

Dean Harrington October 1st, 2008 07:42 AM

Real Media player ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Olonga (Post 945507)
Hi Mike,
Cannot view the footage on windows.I presume I need the right decoder.Any ideas where I can download it.Best wishes.Henry

Get the new Real Media Player ~ it can play the file and damn near anything else.

Henry Olonga October 1st, 2008 08:05 AM

Thanks Dean,
Dowloaded and installed but it doesn't play.
H

Douglas Scott October 1st, 2008 08:24 AM

doesn't play

I too tried to view the file. All I got was 3 seconds of black & no audio. (System: Power Mac 2x G4/QT 7.1.3.)

Scott

Bill Ravens October 1st, 2008 08:35 AM

same here....doesn't work on windows platform

Mike Schell October 1st, 2008 08:38 AM

Hi Henry-
You may have to wait for the MXF file support for playback in Windows, although we have not tested with all the various NLE programs.

We did find a plug-in for Windows Media Player from Open Cube, but that only works with MXF files.

Once we finish MXF support, you should be able to play the file in both Vegas and Avid on the PC. Edius will also likely work, not sure about Premiere.

Mike Schell October 1st, 2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Scott (Post 945525)
I too tried to view the file. All I got was 3 seconds of black & no audio. (System: Power Mac 2x G4/QT 7.1.3.)

Scott

Hi Scott-
You must have FCP Version 6.0.3 or later to play this file. The 4:2:2 MPEG2 CODEC is part of FCP.

Paul Bryer October 1st, 2008 08:54 AM

Hi Mike

Video is playing back fine on my machine: MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Duo, 2GB RAM, Quicktime v.7.5.5, FCP v.6.0.4.

The video quality as you say is great.

Mike Schell October 1st, 2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Bryer (Post 945543)
Hi Mike

Video is playing back fine on my machine: MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Duo, 2GB RAM, Quicktime v.7.5.5, FCP v.6.0.4.

The video quality as you say is great.

Hi Paul-
Thanks for the feedback. We can play directly off the CF card using the Lexar FW-800 CF reader.

Ronan Fournier October 1st, 2008 10:07 AM

Thank you

It looks good on my MacPro, thank you!
However I look forward for a comparaison with the same shot in HDV or XDCAM EX and the Flash XDR@100MB/s.
If you could shoot some clips in outdoor, in both formats, with more complexe pictures (leaves on tree for example) and pan and travelling, that would be really great. Because movements are the weak point of HDV… so we would better be able to appreciate the improvement of the Flash XDR, I think.