DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Anyone using the Flash XDR at 25p 100Mbs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/136992-anyone-using-flash-xdr-25p-100mbs.html)

Ofer Levy November 1st, 2008 06:41 AM

Anyone using the Flash XDR at 25p 100Mbs?

I am new to video. Got the Flash XDR a while ago but still haven't used it almost at all. I am working on a big wildlife project using the Sony PMW EX3. As much as I would love to use the Flash XDR I am still not sure I can trust it in 100% and I just can't risk this project.
Please anyone who is using the Flash XDR shooting 1080 25p at 100 Mbs and can let me know whether it works flawlessly so I can start using what I hope is a wonderful device.
I would also appreciate feedback from people who are not related to CD.

Thanks,

Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

Bill Ravens November 1st, 2008 07:26 AM

why can't you simultaneously record to your SxS card and the Flash-XDR? That way, if the XDR fails, you're backed up. If the XDR works, you have great footage Either way, you can report back with your experience.

Dan Keaton November 1st, 2008 08:35 AM

Dear Ofer,

I agree with Bill's suggestion. (Thanks Bill!)

Also, the way to confidence is to practice. Once you practice shooting and then bring the footage into your Non-Linear Editor, you will have the ability to tell if the footage meets your expectations.

Ofer, have you decided on a Non-Linear Editor? If so, which one did you choose?

I assume that you are currently working with the 0.0.124 firmware release. The next release, 0.0.130, or later, will have even more features and menu options. We will announce the availablity of the new firmware here on DVInfo, as well as on:
www.convergent-design.com.

Once this new release is available, please update your Flash XDR.

Every night, all night long, Flash XDR's are recording using the latest firmware currently in development. Then, in the morning, all of the files are checked. We do this to ensure that the firmware has been thoroughly tested prior to release.

Could you please share some details, such as what hardware (computer and options) that you have?

For example, can you ingest HD-SDI into your Non-Linear Editor?

(Do not feel bad if you do not have this capability, most users do not. Also, with the capability of just reading the Flash XDR Quicktime files using a low cost CompactFlash card reader, the need for an HD-SDI Input/Output (I/O) card has been lessened for some users.)

Do you have a CompactFlash card reader on your computer?

If you chose to use Final Cut Pro, what version do you have?

John Richard November 1st, 2008 12:08 PM

Dan:

Along the lines of your above post about injest, is there a method of using the native XDR (non-QT) files in any NLE?

For example, using the XDR HD-SDI Out > Blackmagic Multi-Bridge Pro HD-SDI In > Multibridge Pro > NLE (FCP) ? Would the HD-SDI card be able to convert he native (CDV) XDR files into something that could be edited with in an NLE?

Right now we're using the most recent QT XDR firmware and it goes straight into FCP perfectly for the video portion. (Audio synch firmware fix for QT soon to come per Mike S)

Ofer Levy November 1st, 2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 958347)
why can't you simultaneously record to your SxS card and the Flash-XDR? That way, if the XDR fails, you're backed up. If the XDR works, you have great footage Either way, you can report back with your experience.

Hi Bill,

I am shooting with the Sony PMW EX3.
I have tried to record to both - sxs card and Flash XDR but there is a major issue in doing that. The Flash XDR records everything that is shown on the screen - including all the text. I have managed to get rid of everything but the REC/STANDBY which only disappears if there is no card in the camera.
If anyone can tell me how you can record to both - sxs and Flash XDR I would be grateful.

Ofer Levy November 1st, 2008 12:28 PM

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your input!
Because I am new to video – I need to hear from more experienced videographers if the footage shot at 1080 25p meets their expectations as I can’t really tell.
I still haven’t decided on NLE nor a computer as I am waiting to hear from other users what is the best NLE and hardware to work with the footage shot at 25p 100 Mbs.
Cheers,
Ofer

Bill Ravens November 1st, 2008 12:34 PM

dunno 'bout the EX3, but, on my EX1 there's a switch in the menu-VIDEO SET/VIDEO OUT DISPLAY/OFF

George Kroonder November 1st, 2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 958416)
The Flash XDR records everything that is shown on the screen - including all the text. I have managed to get rid of everything but the REC/STANDBY which only disappears if there is no card in the camera.

Can you confirm that REC/STANDBY is included in the HD SDI output signal even if the "YPbPr/SDI Display Out" is set to "Off" in the VIDEO SET menu?

George/

P.S. I type slower than Bill ;-)

Ofer Levy November 1st, 2008 12:55 PM

Tried both - STBY/REC is still showing.....

Dan Keaton November 1st, 2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 958411)
Dan:

Along the lines of your above post about injest, is there a method of using the native XDR (non-QT) files in any NLE?

For example, using the XDR HD-SDI Out > Blackmagic Multi-Bridge Pro HD-SDI In > Multibridge Pro > NLE (FCP) ? Would the HD-SDI card be able to convert the native (CDV) XDR files into something that could be edited with in an NLE?

Right now we're using the most recent QT XDR firmware and it goes straight into FCP perfectly for the video portion. (Audio synch firmware fix for QT soon to come per Mike S)

Dear John,

I believe I understand your question correctly; Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you are using the non-Quicktime option, then you can playback the clip and record the HD-SDI output using any standard HD-SDI Input/Output card and an appropriately setup computer.

In this case, the Flash XDR reads the CDV file (as stored on the CompactFlash cards in the Flash XDR), then creates a proper HD-SDI signal, then sends it out via the HD-SDI output port.

Dan Keaton November 1st, 2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 958426)

Dear Ofer,

I am surprised by this. I would expect that the menu option to turn off the text displays would also turn this off.

I would contract your dealer, or Sony directly.

I hope others with an EX3 will share their knowledge about this matter.

John Richard November 1st, 2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 958436)
Dear John,

I believe I understand your question correctly; Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you are using the non-Quicktime option, then you can playback the clip and record the HD-SDI output using any standard HD-SDI Input/Output card and an appropriately setup computer.

In this case, the Flash XDR reads the CDV file (as stored on the CompactFlash cards in the Flash XDR), then creates a proper HD-SDI signal, then sends it out via the HD-SDI output port.

You got my question perfectly.

And that opens up a whole plethora of options for me (I think). So I could go select the XDR menu option to record in CDV (not QT). Then connect the XDR's HD-SDI output to the input on the BM Multibridge Pro and hit play on the XDR while capturing to any format available to the BM card. That should get us the capability to also edit in Edius (or Premiere CS3) as well as the existing QT for FCP.

Dan Keaton November 1st, 2008 02:58 PM

Dear John,

Yes.

In early releases of the firmware, pressing play caused all clips, starting with the first one to play.

We are working on the ability to select which clips you want to play. I know we have the ability to play back the last clip, but I do not know (at this minute) if we have the ability to select a specific clip from a list.

It should not be long before we have this functionality.

Mike Schell November 1st, 2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 958426)

Hi Ofer-
Try posting this question in the Sony EX1/EX3 forum. We have numerous users recording video to Flash XDR without this STBY/Rec display.

There must be a simple menu setting to turn this off.

Mike Schell November 1st, 2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 958458)
Dear John,

Yes.

In early releases of the firmware, pressing play caused all clips, starting with the first one to play.

We are working on the ability to select which clips you want to play. I know we have the ability to play back the last clip, but I do not know (at this minute) if we have the ability to select a specific clip from a list.

It should not be long before we have this functionality.

Hi Dan, John-
The next firmware release, due early next week, will have the ability to play back the last clip or play all clips. We have also added full analog audio control, including phantom power and microphone pre-amp gain settings.

After Brent completes the firmware to remember all the menu setting (through power-down), he will go back and add the ability to play any individual clip(s).

Then we'll start work on MXF support, which should allow file-based editing with Edius, Vegas and Avid. We're also planning 24p pull-down removal and ASI support in November.