New Firmware 0.0.179 Ready at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Convergent Design

New Firmware 0.0.179 Ready

New Flash XDR Firmware and an updated manual are ready for download. The new firmware adds/fixes the following:

1) 720p50/60 support at 50/100 Mbps
2) Fixed Phantom Power Control
3) Save all menu settings (thru power-down)
4) Embedded Time-Code transferred to QuickTime files
5) Fixed some QT playback issues.

We plan the next firmware update (in about 1 week) to include the following:
1) Add LTC time-code input selection
2) Display time-code on LCD panel
3) Add start-trigger selection: start button, remote switch or incrementing time-code.
4) Resolve CF card read issue with MAC Leopard OS

Following this release, our primary development focus will be MXF support, which is still scheduled in the next 2 weeks.
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Tourist

Updating firmware warning......

Can I suggest that your "Firmware Update procedure for Flash XDR" document has the warning "While updating, the unit can not lose power. If the power is interupted, the unit will be inoperable" in BOLD UPPER CASE at the top of the document as well being very prominant on your FLASH XDR FIRMWARE UPDATES page Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV......

One of our customers has already fallen by the wayside by trying to update using exhausted batteries that failed to survive the 4~5 minutes of time required to erase and re-program.

The obvious question now is, does the Flash XDR have to be returned to the factory as it now refuses to "boot" when power up ?

Best regards
Paul Rogers
Polecam Engineering Service
Paul Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Tourist

Firmware update to include CF re-format

Is it not possible for the firmware upgrade process to include an automatic re-format of the CF disk used. This would then negate the need to re-format in a MAC or PC as the CF card would be immediatly available for XDR use.

Regards

Paul Rogers
Polecam Engineering Services
Paul Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

I like both of your suggestions.

The warning is clear in the update instructions, but an extra warning is appropriate.

Mike will need to answer your question about whether it has to be returned to the factory or not. Mike and I have disucssed this and we do plan on improving this, but I do not know whether it has been done or not.

The safest way in my opinion, at this time, is to use a well charged battery when updating the unit. Alternatively, one can use the supplied power supply, but this is not perfect if there is a power interruption during the five minutes.

Yes, we may be able to remove the "update file" from the CF card at some time during the process, either by simply deleting the file, or reformatting the card, as you have suggested, which I think is a better idea.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rogers View Post
Is it not possible for the firmware upgrade process to include an automatic re-format of the CF disk used. This would then negate the need to re-format in a MAC or PC as the CF card would be immediatly available for XDR use.

Regards

Paul Rogers
Polecam Engineering Services
Hi Paul-
I will ask Tommy, our webmaster to add a warning (in red letters) to the update page to caution users to always connect the Flash XDR to a very reliable (and long-lasting) power source during updates. As Dan mentioned, the Update Procedure note does warn users that the unit will become inoperable if the power is interrupted during the update procedure. Also this note indicates that the update will require about 5 minutes to complete.

However, an extra warning is always a good idea.

The Flash XDR can be repaired, but it will have to be sent back to the factory to be re-flashed.

We could add an option to format the CF card immediately after an update, but I would not make this automatic as some users will want to update several boxes with one card.
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #6
New Boot

If there was a battery monitor then you would know the condition of the battery before upgrade
Jonathan Thursby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #7
Major Player

The battery is external to the XDR. Power is supplied to the XDR via a standard 4-pin XLR power connection. This design allows for a wide variety of battery solutions. Most of these external battery supply solutions have their own meters.

If you are using a battery system that does not have it's own meter, and you haven't recently charged, then simply use the AC power supply that comes with the XDR.

As far as notification that the unit will become unusable if power is lost during the firmware reprogramming process, it is stated in the manual and in the read me instructions that comes with each firmware version download. That is 2 different places that this warning is supplied.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Thursby View Post
If there was a battery monitor then you would know the condition of the battery before upgrade
Hi Jonathan-
As an additional note to John Richard's reply, there is no practical way we could monitor the battery level on the XDR. Since we allow a very wide range of input voltages (6.5 to 20V), building a battery monitor becomes an impossible task, since there is no way to know if a given battery is near the drop out point.

If we had restricted the XDR to a single battery, then a battery monitor would have been possible. But we think most users want the latitude to use a wide range of different batteries.
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

How about a menu option which comes up after flashing which gives you the option to format the card?

Jeff Silverman
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Perhaps the best place to make the choice is before starting, rather than after finishing.

I would image one would like to check out the new update before deciding whether to delete the "update file". Maybe the firmware, when it checks any inserted card, could offer to delete the "update file" (or format the card, if that's preferable), rather than just performing the update.

Just a thought.

Bill S

ps I am SO ready to buy a nano. :)
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff and Billy,

We will be meeting with our engineers this morning to dicuss your suggestions.

I am certain that we can improve this.

Thank you for your suggestions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey