Blank Screen Recordings - Help Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blank Screen Recordings - Help Please

Just started to use the XDR unit today, loaded the latest firmware 0.193 but the recording just locked & wouldn't stop. Tried a few times & got the same result, so I loaded 0.188 & the XDR recorded & stopped OK. The major problem is that when I view the quicktime files on a PC the screen is just blank, no footage can be seen the timeline moves along OK. I then tried previous firmware updates 0.115 & 0.144 & got the same result blank screen either black or white screen, tried in various modes 50 & 100 mbs.

I'm using an XL-H1 & transcend 32gb 133x card. The camera is set for SDI & TC out. Also on the latest firmware versions when TC was select as a trigger the unit wouldn't start recording when I pressed the record button on the camera. The XDR recognises the H1. The BNC cables & connectors are 75 ohm.

Can anybody help or have any other XL-H1 owners had similar problems?
David G. Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds like a codec issue on the computer. What format is the XDR recording?
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
New Boot

In my recent experience with the new (0.0.193) firmware, it requires you to push and hold the stop button for about 5 secs to get it to stop. This apparently is to prevent "stop" from being accidentally pushed.

As for the blank screen, have you upgraded to the latest QT off the Apple site?
John Fante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Playback for QT on a PC has never been supported with an XDR as far as I know. You need to use a Mac.
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Just saw that in the user manual, AFTER downloading the test footage off the website!

Looks like you need to record in MXF and not Quicktime. I had a similar issue with my Firestore unit. Pretty common.
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear David,

Sorry for the slow reply, I was out with my wife shopping for bargains.

I realize that you are on a PC, so the following paragraph is just for information.

Final Cut Pro is the best way to view or edit Quicktime files. FCP version 6.0.4 or higher is required. The latest versions of Quicktime player also work, but I am sorry, I do not know the version details at this time.

We are working with Sony Creative Software to get Sony Vegas to accept these Quicktime files. We have recently sent them a sample file for them to test.

We are using a 4:2:2 HL profile codec. That is why the latest version of FCP, 6.0.4 or higher, is required. Earlier versions did not support this high level codec.

I feel that while Sony Vegas says that they work with Quicktime files, they do not currently support 4:2:2 HL.

Calibrated Software has a player for the PC for 4:2:2 HL codec.

Please note that our codec is the same as in Sony's PMW-700 camera, so any Non-Linear Editor that supports this camera should support our footage.

We are in the process of obtaining all of the popular Non-Linear Editors, on the PC side, so that we can test our footage with every one of them. We have Sony Vegas and Avid installed at this time, more to come.

Also, we are designing some software that will allow the Quicktime files to be converted to MXF.

Our code to produce native MXF files is in the debug stage. We developed the MXF code on another platform, then we ported the code to the Flash XDR. So, we are now debuging this code.

So, as soon as this process is complete, you will have your choice of native Quicktime or native MXF files.
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear David,

The original XL H1 will trigger the Flash XDR to start recording.

You will need:

1. A BNC cable from Timecode out on the XL H1 to Timecode in on the Flash XDR.

2. The Record Trigger menu item must be set to "TC".

3. The XL H1 timecode must be set to Record Run so that the timecode only runs when you are recording. You should be able to see the timecode on the display of the Flash XDR when the cables are setup properly, and the XL H1 is sending timecode.

4. We recommend Firmware release 0.0.193 for this, but I believe that 0.0.188 will work also.

Please note that when you power on the Flash XDR, be certain to check the Record Trigger menu option to ensure that "TC" is enabled. If it is not, then the Flash XDR will not start to record automatically.

The XL H1s does not require the timecode cable as the timecode is embedded in the
HD-SDI stream.
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thankyou for the replies, viewing the quicktime files was a codec issue, downloaded the demo XDplayer from Calibrated Software & files opened up OK.

Will have another go tomorrow with the Timecode Trigger.
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear David,

The original XL H1 will trigger the Flash XDR to start recording.

You will need:

1. A BNC cable from Timecode out on the XL H1 to Timecode in on the Flash XDR.

2. The Record Trigger menu item must be set to "TC".

3. The XL H1 timecode must be set to Record Run so that the timecode only runs when you are recording. You should be able to see the timecode on the display of the Flash XDR when the cables are setup properly, and the XL H1 is sending timecode.

4. We recommend Firmware release 0.0.193 for this, but I believe that 0.0.188 will work also.

Please note that when you power on the Flash XDR, be certain to check the Record Trigger menu option to ensure that "TC" is enabled. If it is not, then the Flash XDR will not start to record automatically.

The XL H1s does not require the timecode cable as the timecode is embedded in the
HD-SDI stream.
The XLH1 & XDR was setup as above using Firware 0.0.193, I encountered the following issue's

- Time not being displayed on the XDR

- When record button on the XL-H1 was pressed nothing happened on the XDR (TC trigger was selected on the menu)

- Used the record button on the XDR, within 1/2 second of pressing the record on the XDR went into stopping mode, both the Red & Blue LED's illuminated & then the unit stopped. The record LED went back to green status, went to record again & the XDR just locked up on record & wouldn't stop.

- After a reboot I tried to record using the XDR record button & ensured the TC trigger was deselected, the XDR unit recorded & stopped OK (time code still not deplayed apart from 00:00:00)

I've also tried Firmware 0.0.188 & got the same results.

I'm using an orignal XL-H1 set at 1080 50i, transcend 32gb 133x card, also I've swapped the BNC leads.
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear David,

In the XL H1, in the Signal Setup menu, what do you have for the Timecode setting?

Is the Timecode display in the XL H1 viewfinder running?

In the Flash XDR, in the Trigger menu, you can have all of the options checked, if you want. But do not check TC unless you want to start recording when the timecode is incrementing.

When everything is normal, the Flash XDR will display the timecode on the display.

This requires:

1. The XL H1 putting out a timecode signal on the Timecode out connector.

2. A proper BNC cable connected to the Timecode out connector (and not the timecode in connector).

3. The timecode cable being connected to the Timecode in BNC connector.

4. The Timecode menu being selected to use the external timecode input, "LTC".
Embedded will not work, with the original Canon XL H1, as the timecode is not embedded in the HD-SDI output stream that the original XL H1 produces. The Canon XL H1s has timecode embedded in the HD-SDI stream.

Is "LTC" selected on your Flash XDR?

Please let me know if item #4 is or was the problem.

David, I will attempt to send you a private email with my phone numbers.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; December 27th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Sorted, timecode is now being displayed on the XDR & also the TC trigger works OK, the LTC option wasn't selected within the Timecode Menu.
David G. Burt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey